We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where Can I get one of those Gadget things

Options
.... that tells you how much electricity is being used and by what???

Just been looking at the kWh used over the last 12 months and its 5266 ..... when I tried to put this into moneysupermarket.com to see if I could get a better deal on G&E it wouldn't accept that reading as it was 'too high' for electricity!

I'm now beginning to think there's something seriously wrong because after asking some colleagues what their DD is per month .... its a lot less than ours, and we live in a 3 bed terraced house whilst they both live in 4 bed detached!!

The gas over the 12 months came out quite high too - 22,127 but that's not as high as the electricity!!

Any ideas??

Thanks, Jo
Official DFW Nerd Club Member No: 286
Official DFW Long Hauler No: 177
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you just click through again after a first refusal moneysupermarket should accept a high consumption. But 5000 is not that much - you probably had defaulted to 5000 kWh per month rather than per year. Double-check the pull-down lists.
  • giddykipper
    Options
    Never thought of that, thanks - will try again!
  • bondy01
    bondy01 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Your local Maplin shop (assuming you have one) do them. You can get them cheaper elsewhere such as CPC. There is one type that fastens around the incoming mains and tells you total consumption and another that plugs into a socket and you then plug your appliance into that so that it tells you what each appliance is using. I've a 3 bed det bung and use less than 3/4 of that.
  • giddykipper
    Options
    bondy01 wrote: »
    Your local Maplin shop (assuming you have one) do them. You can get them cheaper elsewhere such as CPC. There is one type that fastens around the incoming mains and tells you total consumption and another that plugs into a socket and you then plug your appliance into that so that it tells you what each appliance is using. I've a 3 bed det bung and use less than 3/4 of that.

Brilliant thanks, yes we do have a maplin, just up the road from us too so will have a look in there this week.

I entered all the info into moneysupermarket again and it still came out as too high, but I clicked through again and it let me carry on. I'm currently paying £129 p/m for gas and electric for a 3 bed terrace when we're both out at work all day. Gas is working out at 22,127kWh annually! We are £244 in credit however!!

If I change supplier, will they just pay the credit into my bank account? Moneysupermarket reckon if I switch to E-On or NPower I'll save over £200 per yr even without finding out what's draining the l'eccy so much!
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    even without finding out what's draining the l'eccy so much!

Your l'eccy really isn't that high!

And yes, your current provider will refund a credit balance to your bank account after the final bill has been prepared & settled.
  • giddykipper
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Your l'eccy really isn't that high!

And yes, your current provider will refund a credit balance to your bank account after the final bill has been prepared & settled.

OK thanks, I panicked a bit there when other people seemed to be paying much less than us! Will look at switching now though.
  • dannymccann
    Options
    OK thanks, I panicked a bit there when other people seemed to be paying much less than us! Will look at switching now though.

If you have gas for heating your bathing water and / or for your heating requirements then I would disagree, especially considering you say you are out all day.

If you are an all electric household, as Andy is, then its probably a low reading, but considering you have quite a hefty gas bill as well I would suggest looking to review what is using so much electricity. We are a 3 bed terrace, 2 adults both out all day, dishwasher etc, gas for heating and water yet we use no more than 7kWh a day in electricity, which translates roughly to 2555 for the year
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 September 2010 at 10:32PM
    Options
    my consumption was JUST below Blackpools illumination quarter.........

Id suggest taking regular readings first

Ive split my last 12 months down and 1 result is curious....

readings in KWh (units)

sept-october (47 days) night 895 day 1040
    oct-dec (55 days) night 866 day 399
    dec-feb (46 days) night 2820 day 1720
    feb-march (44 days) night 1251 day 1233
    march-august (130 days) night 1547 day 2134
    august-sept (55 days) night 419 day 916

i cannot explain HOW the 399 figure came about, it was oct-dec, so wasnt hot weather, theres someone in the house all day, and it went back up after....

Bgas have used an annual figure of 19,000 kwh as our consumption figure
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • Plushchris
    Options
    Before you go buying one, phone your supplier to see if you can blag a freebie (DO NOT CHANGE TARIFFS TO GET ONE THOUGH)

If you cant get one out of your supplier, try your local library, some have them to borrow for a few weeks..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • giddykipper
    Options
    If you have gas for heating your bathing water and / or for your heating requirements then I would disagree, especially considering you say you are out all day.

If you are an all electric household, as Andy is, then its probably a low reading, but considering you have quite a hefty gas bill as well I would suggest looking to review what is using so much electricity. We are a 3 bed terrace, 2 adults both out all day, dishwasher etc, gas for heating and water yet we use no more than 7kWh a day in electricity, which translates roughly to 2555 for the year

Thanks, We have gas central heating but an electric shower. Hob is gas but oven is electric, erm other than that, dishwasher, washer, tumble dryer - but this is only used in an 'emergency', most of our lightbulbs are energy saving .... and there's only the 2 of us!

The dishwasher is on most days as its only a slimline one, if we had a full sized one it would be on much less.... and we both shower at least once a day - but its not like we're in there for an hour at a time - OH is in there 10 mins, me 20 max!

Hhhhmmm will have a think about this and see if there's something I'm missing!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business