Barclaycard (late payment) charges

Options
Hi
Mostly a lurker and not a poster on here so much but looking for some advice please if anyone can help.

My partner has a Barclaycard (from his uni. days) and we know that it was maxed out (approx £1800). We moved house in October last year and since we moved we have never received a statement from them.

We have called and emailed them various times to advise that we have moved house (almost every 3 months since moving) however we have still never received a statement from them.
The only mail from Barclaycard that manages to reach us safely is the junk mail that they send us and over the past three month letters advising us of a £12.00 charge to be applied to the next statement for late payment. Despite being told and "assured" by the agent on the phone that everything had been updated on their systems. I don't know what date the payment is due as I've never had a statement in about a year. (payment is made every 4 weeks when I get my wages).

We don't use the card ever (it was shredded a couple of years ago to stop temptation) however due to never receiving a statement we've no idea what the balance is.

The last time we did receive a statement (September 2009) the minimum payment was approx £78 (give or take a few pence) per month. Seeing as we cut the card and are actively trying to reduce debts I've been paying over £100 every month in an attempt (albeit probably vain) to clear the debt and in the past six months I've been paying a minimum of £120 per month but seeing as I've not received anything to say what balance outstanding is I'm wondering if this is a fruitless cause.

I know I shouldn't stop paying it but do you think that if I don't pay anything (maybe store it in a savings account?) and wait for them to get in touch I might get someone who speaks English as a first language and can actually help? Especially if I can pay what's due for the month or two missed?

Sorry if it's a bit jumbled but just infuriated that Barclaycard can manage to get the letters saying they're applying a late payment fee to our house but can't manage to get a statement to us.

Thanks in advance for reading and especially to anyone who can help.

aquariel

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry...but what is the point of the internet and managing your account online...Barclaycard has an excellent site where you can manage your accounts daily if you need to....
  • WelshRarebit
    WelshRarebit Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2010 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Urmmm...did you not think of just asking the cutomer service rep when you called them up on those numerous occations what the o/s balance was and when the due date is?? I know the Barclaycard customer service staff aren't the sharpest tools in the box but even they would be able to tell you something as simple as the balance and payment due date. Suggest you sign up for MyBarclaycard to view statements and make payments online and set up a DD to avoid late payments.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    Just ring them with your cc number and ask what the balance is.
  • anaskiller
    Options
    Just ring them with your cc number and ask what the balance is.

themull1 saying right...
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    Sorry...but what is the point of the internet and managing your account online...Barclaycard has an excellent site where you can manage your accounts daily if you need to....

As above, if you can log on to here, give a password etc to post on MSE, then you are more then able to log on to Barclaycard and view your account and manage it. They tell you what you are spending, what you owe and what you need to pay.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • bobbydrake50
    Options
    They probably will have to get the details from Barclaycard as they no longer have the card. Don't you normally need to enter the expiry date etc first time you set up online?
  • parallax_20
    Options
    I would second the suggestion of getting them to setup a direct debit for the minimum each month so you don't incur a late charge. And then get them to send out a duplicate CC and sign up to Barclaycard online, so you can monitor your account and update things like change of address, paperless billing, and set alerts via SMS or email on certain account activities (i.e. payment due and amount, weekly balance updates, etc...)

Good luck.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    DD won't help if the OP is struggling. A bounced DD could create charges at both ends rather than one end.

Back to the OP's question. No - you can't stop payments on the basis you haven't seen the statements.

Check online that you didn't opt out of paper statements. If you didn't, then write a letter to them about the address change. Then complain in writing. Then ombudsman. But do be sure it's not something wrong at your end. But this really does sound like a sideshow given you can do it online.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2010 at 10:16AM
    Options
    DD won't help if the OP is struggling. A bounced DD could create charges at both ends rather than one end.

The OP didn't say they were struggling to afford the payments, just struggling to find out how much they should be and and when they should be made.

One phone call and they can find out on which day of the month the payment needs to be paid by, then they can set up a DD for this day each month and pay any spare cash whenever they like.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    The OP didn't say they were struggling to afford the payments, just struggling to find out how much they should be and and when they should be made.

Fair enough, I just got that impression. To be pedantic, I didn't say they were struggling either! (And you didn't say that I said that..)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure