Car hire insurance in USA

Just wondering what the current wisdom is for getting special insurance to cover the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) when hiring a car in the U.S. I saw one thread on this but it was about 5 years old. I have a car reserved but they're offering a 'special deal' for the extra insurance for US$12 per day, which makes the total cost double!

Can I buy insurance here that would cover the CDW?

Comments

• There are quite a few firms that offer this. I have a policy with Questor, not the cheapest but more specific on what is covered, and includes SLI (which you want!)

• Dollar didn't used to accept 3rd party CDW policies, this may have changed now though. For peace of mind I tend to book the car through a U.K. broker, Airline Network, Expedia etc. and take the upgraded, Gold or Platinum insurance.

American private car insurance normally covers rental cars too so prices from U.S. sites seem cheaper but dont always have the same level of insurance as British ones.
  • Im just back from the states and hired a car through alamo it included all insurance and came out at roughly £137 inc for 9 days hire and good part was i ordered a economy car and was given a toyota coralla 1.8 sedan .
    i rate alamo who i booked through carhire 3000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport