Noisy neighbour - What can I do?

in N. Ireland
34 replies 5.4K views

Replies

• cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know how I find out who the letting agent of a house is, or if it is worth complaining through them to start with? I think the land registry only lists the owner.
  • Aw Cepheus you're making me blush haha! Not sure on how to find out who the letting agent is on a property though.. someone on here is bound to know. Unless you start by phoning round some of the bigger ones and ask to try and narrow it down but I'm not sure they would answer?

Dusty - thanks, I know full well it's not just noise which can be measured in decibels. Slamming doors, football, dog constantly outside barking (when it's there) is all highly annoying and avoidable should the person living there care.

I only got in to the house about 20 minutes ago but all is calm :) Think he received letter this morning...
  • edited 29 September 2010 at 4:45PM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 September 2010 at 4:45PM
    Just had a word with the neighbour about his TV noise, he refuses to admit it is loud, very unhelpful as expected. I can hear it through two walls and a noisy computer fan. I invite him into my house to hear, suddenly it gets switched down. "See nothing, that proves it, can't help you" I ask again, "No", I mention Environmental Health "I cant help must be someone else".

I really hated having to do this, put it off for weeks.

I knew what the result would be, he can now retaliate.
  • FurryPaws wrote: »
    Hey there,

Wondering if someone can offer their advice on an increasingly common problem in this day and age..

I moved into my first home afew months ago. I thought this was excellent in the current climate.. but unfortunately I am now living next to a neighbour from hell.

The lady who lived next door moved out with all her kids to her boyfriends house and left behind her eldest teenage son. I'm fairly sure it's a housing exec house..

This guy is playing his music very loud for last couple of months now and it's driving me nuts. Last night he was at it again and then left to go out shortly after 10.. when he got back after 1am with his friends in tow he thought it would be funny to play football in his livingroom.. waking me up with the ball bouncing off the walls.

I have tried calling round to speak to him but no answer. Afew weeks ago I left a note through his door asking if he realised how loud his music was and that it is disturbing his neighbours... it stopped for acouple of nights but then it started again.

As I'm new to the area I don't want to make a fuss... but at the same time I can't live like this praying for peace and quiet...

This morning I called environmental health and they will issue an informal letter to the address and say there has been complaints. But do you think I have shot myself in the foot? I don't want to make things worse but the guy clearly doesn't care.

Thanks!
    Furry

Pursue them and play them at their own game too. I reported mine to the police because he kept leaving his two teenage daughters in the house with his son too and they were inviting boyfriends round, playing music, smoking outside, then kicking footballs in the yard etc late at night. The council sent them a letter and they kept quiet for a few weeks and then it started again. Had few words with the dad (big girls blouse he is) and he stormed off into girlfriends car.
    Police came round and spoke to him and warned him to not leave his kids too often.
    Also him and his girlfriend would advertise their sex life in the bedroom and I had words with them about being busy in the bedroom and could they tone it down.

Now I get no noise, and now we avoid each other but he has finally learnt respect for his neighbours.

Before he arrived I had alovely neighbour who I got on really well with and she had a son and they were always quiet.
    Mortgage Free 2016
    Work Part Time:D

• flashnaziaflashnazia Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    FurryPaws wrote: »
    Hey there,

Wondering if someone can offer their advice on an increasingly common problem in this day and age..

I moved into my first home afew months ago. I thought this was excellent in the current climate.. but unfortunately I am now living next to a neighbour from hell.

The lady who lived next door moved out with all her kids to her boyfriends house and left behind her eldest teenage son. I'm fairly sure it's a housing exec house..

Does he go to work? Might me a silly assumption but could he be committing benefit fraud? Seems unlikely he is paying rent for a whole house?
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • edited 1 October 2010 at 10:48AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2010 at 10:48AM
    cepheus wrote: »
    Just had a word with the neighbour about his TV noise, he refuses to admit it is loud, very unhelpful as expected. I can hear it through two walls and a noisy computer fan. I invite him into my house to hear, suddenly it gets switched down. "See nothing, that proves it, can't help you" I ask again, "No", I mention Environmental Health "I cant help must be someone else".

I really hated having to do this, put it off for weeks.

I knew what the result would be, he can now retaliate.

This is exactly why I was reluctant to complain, but I put it off until I can stand it no more.

The neighbour reported me to the Police since I had a card through the door from them, but I was out. I have decided to go to the police station rather them to come round to my house.

This is so annoying it really is since I shaked his hand and was so reasonable, and only became more assertive as he refused to admit to anything. This is disgraceful.
  • rover25rover25 Forumite
    387 Posts
    Hi there, Just wanted to say that we have the same problem with our neighbours. They are a young couple with 2 small kids. We have asked them 2/3 times to keep their music down as we could hear it through the walls. It would settle for a while and then it would be blaring a week or 2 later.
    I rang their landlord (developers) and spoke to them in July and asked them to have a word. The music did seem to improve abit, but we were away for 3 weeks in August. Since Aug, themusic has continued. It's not on all the time but they will play it at really random times. Really early in the morning, Sunday at lunchtime, 6pm in the evening when we are just home from work.
    My husband rang them again last Monday to complain about the music and general banging about. He said they would speak to them. We don't actually know if they have spoken to them at all. We just have to take their word for it.
    But as I write now, we can hear the music again. Horrible bass coming through the wall. Do we contact the local coucil now and see what they can do or do we contact the Housing Executive as well. The reason I ask about the HE, is that the neither of the couple work, so we assumed their rent must be being paid by the housing benefit from the housing executive. Would this be right?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited 2 October 2010 at 7:04AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2010 at 7:04AM
    I wish there was an easy solution.

Start taking a log of the noise, times dates etc. Make it clear to the neighbour that you are doing this and it is the first step to successful prosecution by the environmental health dept. Do this verbally rather than write unless you are happy for it to become an official dispute which you may have to declare to a potential buyer.

I am writing to advice from these people

Noise Abatement Society
    Advice and support for noise sufferers
    Noise Helpline: 01273 823 850
    Email: [EMAIL="info@noise-abatement.org"][email protected][/EMAIL]

Environmental Law Foundation
    Legal support and advice to individuals and communities
    Tel: 020 7404 1030
    E-mail: [EMAIL="info@elflaw.org"][email protected][/EMAIL]
  • rover25 wrote: »
    Hi there, Just wanted to say that we have the same problem with our neighbours. They are a young couple with 2 small kids. We have asked them 2/3 times to keep their music down as we could hear it through the walls. It would settle for a while and then it would be blaring a week or 2 later.
    I rang their landlord (developers) and spoke to them in July and asked them to have a word. The music did seem to improve abit, but we were away for 3 weeks in August. Since Aug, themusic has continued. It's not on all the time but they will play it at really random times. Really early in the morning, Sunday at lunchtime, 6pm in the evening when we are just home from work.
    My husband rang them again last Monday to complain about the music and general banging about. He said they would speak to them. We don't actually know if they have spoken to them at all. We just have to take their word for it.
    But as I write now, we can hear the music again. Horrible bass coming through the wall. Do we contact the local coucil now and see what they can do or do we contact the Housing Executive as well. The reason I ask about the HE, is that the neither of the couple work, so we assumed their rent must be being paid by the housing benefit from the housing executive. Would this be right?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

contact your local council, the Environmental Health Office and speak to them. also if it's a HE house or if it's private rented, the landlord, them as well, anyone who you think can help you. we had to put up with it for almost two years, trying to be reasonable with these type of people doesn't normally work!
  • flashnaziaflashnazia Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tried this:

Put your speakers up a against the wall and play ave maria* at full blast. Then go out to work :p

*or similar 'classical' music - the type these bass junkies usually hate.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides