Noisy neighbour - What can I do?

in N. Ireland
34 replies 5.4K views

Replies

• Sometimes it's good to have a large collection of mean looking friends & family who could ask him politely to tone it down a tad............ ;)
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • FloFloFloFlo Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    I had really bad neighbours for the first 6 months of living in our current house. Like you we started to think of selling a house we had just bought. Do you know if they rent or own their house. We were lucky they were renting the house and there were other problems with the owner paying the mortgage so they were evicted.

It was music too, my husband worked nights so I faced the brunt of it, I used to go round and complain but they were too stoned to care. I can honestly say that I would never want to see someone evicted from there home but it was such a relief when they went.

You could try to find the letting agent if they are renting and complain there.

I hope you get it sorted.
  • edited 25 September 2010 at 6:30PM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2010 at 6:30PM
    FurryPaws wrote: »
    This morning I called environmental health and they will issue an informal letter to the address and say there has been complaints. But do you think I have shot myself in the foot? I don't want to make things worse but the guy clearly doesn't care.

My understanding is that once a written complaint is issued, you have to inform any potential buyer of your house that you have a dispute with a neighbour or you may be liable for damages from them!

Now would you buy a house with such a dispute going on, or how much would you ask them to reduce the price by? In other words the law says the victim pays.
  • *Kat**Kat* Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, we lived above a woman who played her music so loudly until 3-4am. The guy below her actually called the Env. health guys. They came out to her door, and she started screaming at the env. health person, and came up accusing us of claling them, then threatened us, and our family. Evil! Ended up having to move out that same night we went to stay at our aunt's house. The police did nothing, even when we called them about the noise.

Couple of months later, the woman had been severely beaten up and ended up in a coma! Eeeeeeeep.
  • Thanks for all your helpful posts.

I only discovered about having to tell potential buyers in future about the issue AFTER I'd called environmental health.. the guy on the phone didn't explain this to me which I'm abit annoyed about.

I don't intend on moving anytime soon, this is my first house and I love the house, just not mr noisy next door. Besides which house prices won't be doing anything for awhile and I don't see why I should move from my home (I've decorated top to bottom in the last 3 months) just because of some kid. :)

Thanks for all the words of support. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had the same core values in the world? Too many people don't take pride in their work, home, family.. ah.. *sigh*
  • edited 27 September 2010 at 7:32AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 September 2010 at 7:32AM
    Sorru about that Furrypaws, I find this rule seriously annoying.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for designated districts to be classed as low noise zones, where people are committed perhaps legally to conforming with much lower noise emissions? All the noisy people who enjoy loud music, exhausts rattling, barking dogs, shouting and screaming etc can then move somewhere else.

It would encourage us to live in less extravagant surroundings lowering energy use and avoid the escalation in detached house prices. Personally I am looking to buy a detached house if prices fall significantly even though I have enough room were I am.
  • Hi Guys,

I was in a very similar boat, in that I was having problems with my neighbours and reside in my first purchased house which I only bought in April.
    I don't necessaryily think that they're bad people, but they did a few things that really got my back up. In fact, I was so run down and stressed I actually had to leave work with sickness and worry and was off the next day, as well.
    Thankfully, things seem to have got better, but only a few weeks ago I was standing in a state of despair in my shower and regretting buying my first home and wanting to sell up. Bad times !!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Hopefully everyone here is able to live in peace, quiet and zero stress.
  • Cepheus - if only! That sounds like a dream.. :) I'm only *ahem* mid 20's.. ok well maybe late 20's, but I'm not a massive party lover, far prefer family gatherings and couple of drinks in a quiet pub where I can hear myself talk and not lose my voice shouting!

I called the guy from EH this morning and he told me that as mine was not a formal complaint yet that the case would be closed after 4 weeks and no record of it. So as long as the informal letter works and it doesn't get worse then I won't have to tell potential buyers. Here's hoping.

Andy - I feel for you as I'm obviously going through similar, first house joy has been tarnished and my enjoyment ruined somewhat. Hopefully both situations improve. I had a very dark Friday night when I first posted, was in floods of tears and just wanted rid of the house. But I've put so many hours into doing it up the way I want, and I love my wee house, so why should this idiot force me out?

I'm feeling defiant tonight! That usually wears down towards the end of the week when this eejit keeps me awake but I'm praying the letter does the trick and that he doesn't confront me.
  • cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but I'm not a massive party lover, far prefer family gatherings and couple of drinks in a quiet pub where I can hear myself talk and not lose my voice shouting!

My dream mate, will you live next door to me? (It's not my dog and very quiet anyway)
    I called the guy from EH this morning and he told me that as mine was not a formal complaint yet that the case would be closed after 4 weeks and no record of it. So as long as the informal letter works and it doesn't get worse then I won't have to tell potential buyers. Here's hoping

I'm glad about this, perhaps we can all ask our EH not to record the letter formally. This is useful information.

I understand in legal situations you can write 'without prejudice' at the bottom of any letter which prevents it from being used in evidence, not sure if that applies here though.
  • I've been through the same problem with my neighbours, I listened to slamming doors and a football being bounced off the front door from the inside before speaking to them. They were somewhat less than pleased at what I had to say, bordering on aggressive so I went down the route of phoning the council. They have a young son about 5 or 6 years old with some kind of behavioural disorder but that only counts for so much with me. It was going on to 11pm slamming doors and cupboards, drumming on the walls, singing etc and my kids were both woken up on more than one occasion. We couldn't hear the tv at times, and couldn't turn it up too loud either as our son's bedroom is only across from the living room. He wasn't even a year old at the time things were at their worst.

Start keeping a diary record of the noise, if you wish to pm me I have a template I can send you by email or if not I'm sure your council contact will happily provide you with printed copies.

Remember it's not about volume or decibels or times, it's about your quality of life. Our neighbours thought they would be smart arses about it and the noise quit at 11pm every night exactly. Unfortunately this was no good to the two sleeping toddlers in my house who were repeatedly woken by the thumping and banging of doors and walls. I kept a record of every noise and got a couple of phone calls from the local council who kept on top of things in fairness to them. My neighbours were sent 3 letters and after that the noise started to settle down. They apparently put in some things to stop doors slamming and soften the noise so I dropped the complaint. It's still on record though so if it ever does start again it's only a phone call away.

As has already been said, don't be a victim, they'd soon let you know if the shoe was on the other foot.
    CC Debt October[STRIKE]£9000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£7000 [/STRIKE]all finally on 0% Digging at the same pile but this month I've got a bigger shovel :cool:
    July 2012 finally DEBT FREE :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides