We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Halifax Clarity Card Query

2»

Comments

  • hansi wrote: »
    But why would you want to make manual payments. The idea of a DD is to pay off the statemented full amount every month, isn't it?
    Well...DDs can also be used to pay off the minimum amount too.

    In my case however, I often use manual payments for budgeting, benefiting from a particular card's rewards (e.g. airmiles/cashback) and/or reducing my credit usage. For example, say I had a credit limit of £5000 on one of my cards and a DD payment was due for £3000 on the 1st of November, I can only spend a maximum of £2000 until the DD is taken or risk going over the limit. By making a manual payment it gives me more available credit (e.g. what I can spend).

    The problem I might see with Halifax's way* of taking DDs is that, say I was to manually pay off the full £3000 in the above example and then spend another £2000, when the DD date comes, they would take £3000, leaving me with a positive balance of £1000.

    *As I've said, I'm only in the second month with this account so not sure if this is actually the case. Will find out soon.

    Anyway, not an issue as I'm only spending ~£300/month with Halifax :)
  • They take the DD amount shown on the statement. If you make a manual payment (or get a refund to the card after the statement was made up, which is what happened to me) you can call them to amend the DD amount.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.