HELP reclaiming ppi

Options
Hello there everyone , im new to mse , i would like some help to reclaim some ppi insurance on a couple of loans that ive had , the first one was with the alliance and leicester and i took it out in 2001 and it ended in 2005 unfortunatly i no longer have the account number for this loan ,does anyone know how i would be able to get the account number , its still showing up on the credit reference angency but doesnt have an account number attached to it there , the second one i took out with egg and it has 3 months still to run i have the account number for this one, the problem is i have been a self employed joiner since 1993 and i didnt realise that i wasnt covered for ppi insurance when i took out the loans , thanks for helping im not that good with ltters ect!!

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hello there everyone , im new to mse , i would like some help to reclaim some ppi insurance on a couple of loans that ive had , the first one was with the alliance and leicester and i took it out in 2001 and it ended in 2005 unfortunatly i no longer have the account number for this loan ,does anyone know how i would be able to get the account number , its still showing up on the credit reference angency but doesnt have an account number attached to it there , the second one i took out with egg and it has 3 months still to run i have the account number for this one, the problem is i have been a self employed joiner since 1993 and i didnt realise that i wasnt covered for ppi insurance when i took out the loans , thanks for helping im not that good with ltters ect!!

Hi and welcome

With being self employed its unlikely ppi would have protected you, if this is the case the policy have been totally worthless to you.

If you any old banking statements or bank online where the loan repayments came out every month, normally the account number to that loan would be shown next to the repayments.
    You can try checking them out to retrieve your loan account numbers.

If you have currently have running accounts, but do not have the agreement to this, you can write a simple letter, request they send you a copy of your agreement, add your account number and ask they comply by 12-14 days.
    You enclose the payment of £1 cheque or postal order for this request.

To retrieve even more info/data on your accounts, you could request a Subject access request (SAR) where they have 40 calendar days to comply and send all they hold on the accounts, however they may only send what they have going back the last 6 years, but sometimes data comes back from even earlier years.
    For this request, there is a letter template here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

Then onto the reclaiming.....

Complete the ppi reclaiming questionnaire, this replaced the first template letter on this site......
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#reclaim
    Complete and send to whoever was responsible for setting up your policy from the start, keep copies as well in case you need to refer to it at a later date.
    They have 8 weeks to give a decision, but sometimes ask for more time.

You can write a cover letter in your own words to enclose with the above questionnaire if you want to.

Hope this helps, good luck and please keep us posted.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • STANTHEGANDER
    Options
    thanks di
    thats great i'll go and check my bank statments for the account number , would it make a difference that alliance and leicester has changed to santander? also do i have to have a copy of the original agreement before making a claim?
    thanks again
  • di3004
    Options
    thanks di
    thats great i'll go and check my bank statments for the account number , would it make a difference that alliance and leicester has changed to santander? also do i have to have a copy of the original agreement before making a claim?
    thanks again

Not a problem.

No it makes no difference that they changed to Santander, so still send to A&L and they then should forward your reclaim to Santander complaints section to deal with, post by recorded delivery if you can as well, this is your proof of posting.

The agreement is not actually essential, but maybe useful if you need to make a complaint to the Financial ombudsman service later on, but you can still make a reclaim without it.:)
  • STANTHEGANDER
    Options
    hi again di
    i noticed on the sar that it tells you to put in the account number , will i just leave that blank since i dont actually know the account number , i checked back my bank statments but theres no record of the number
    thanks again
  • di3004
    Options
    hi again di
    i noticed on the sar that it tells you to put in the account number , will i just leave that blank since i dont actually know the account number , i checked back my bank statments but theres no record of the number
    thanks again

Hi

Just give them as many details as possible in order to make it easier to track it down.
    Personal name details, Date of Birth, addresses and so on.;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the problem is i have been a self employed joiner since 1993 and i didnt realise that i wasnt covered for ppi insurance when i took out the loans

How do you know? Most PPI plans do cover the self employed. Some don't and in those cases it's an easy complaint to get sorted. However, if they do cover the self employed then its an easy rejection on that point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    How do you know? Most PPI plans do cover the self employed. Some don't and in those cases it's an easy complaint to get sorted. However, if they do cover the self employed then its an easy rejection on that point.
    Most say that if you pay class 2 contributions of NI then you can make a claim don't they??? (if your self employment ceases and you sign on for job seekers).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    Most say that if you pay class 2 contributions of NI then you can make a claim don't they??? (if your self employment ceases and you sign on for job seekers).

If you are self employed, the "usual" criteria is that you have to cease paying class 2 and be signed off as unemployed by the benefits agency. That is to prevent self employed going through a quiet patch from claiming. That isnt unemployment but the nature of being self employed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • STANTHEGANDER
    Options
    hello again everyone
    does that mean that i cant make a claim? will i just be wasting my time ? i thought if i was self employed i would have to stop trading ie become bankrupt before i could use ppi and then there really would be no point in it anyway , is this incorrect?
    thanks again
  • di3004
    Options
    Hiya, I should have mentioned it earlier, but as dunstonh says, it may cover or it may not, so check your policy details, they will supply them to you on request free of charge.
    This way you will know if you would be eligible or not.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport