Do people buy used toy's for xmas ?

Have been having a good clear out of my son's room's and have load's of toy's to sell all in good, reasonable although played with condition (no boxes) (i would not sell rubbish!!)
Do people actually buy used toy's for xmas?
I know this sound's snobby but i have never bought used toy's for xmas:o
but am considering buying a few "used" bit's this year.
Is it worth listing them??:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vickym
    vickym Posts: 686 Forumite
    Hi mom23
    You could always try selling them on Amazon first as it doesnt cost you anything to list the item - unlike ebay where they charge you for everything. I am sure that someone would be interested in your toys if they are in good nick. Christmas is a really expensive time of year and whilst other people may not purchase a 2nd toy as a gift for another friend/relatives child, I am sure that some mums and dads would buy 2nd for their children as lets be honest the child isnt really going to know the difference and the latest toy changes each season.

My father purchased my sisters little girl a keyboard 2nd hand last year for christmas and it was fantastic, in great condition and although it didnt have the box, my niece was non the wiser as her mum and dad set it up for her Christmas eve,ready to play with. It was a bargain what should have cost £140 new cost £70 and has given her and us hours of fun. In fact I wanted to swap all my pressies with her for her Keyboard but she wasnt having any of it.

Hope this helps and good luck selling your items
    Vicky
    Remember is nice to be important but more important to be nice

• GUMPO
    GUMPO Posts: 376 Forumite
    It all depends. If you list them you will make something but as you say, you yourself have never bought anything second hand for christmas so your market will probably be people who have very little money. The sad thing is that kids don't care. I know when I was a little un that I never considered the fact that a lot of my gifts were second hand (they were). You don't say how old your son is, older children are more touchy about getting second hand prezzies.

I would feel terrible about throwing away any toy that could bring pleasure so if you don't list them drop them at age concern or scope.

:beer:
    FREE THE WM3
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    People buy all sorts of things, I have a Roboraptor for sale on Ebay, bought last Christmas for £60 from Tesco, although most places were more expensive than that. These seem to be selling well on Ebay and there will be lots of people that either cant afford to buy new or those that dont like to be extravagant.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Search in completed listings to see how well they have sold previously. Due to weight some toys aren't worth selling as buyers won't pay the postage. I always send items like that down to the local charity shop.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • mom i agree with vicky, just because you wont others will :) as long as they are in good condition i think they will sell :)
  • Father Christmas has always brought second hand toys to our house. ;)
    It could be worth waiting for a cheap listing day on Ebay or have you tried Netmums....it's free to advertise there and ,because it's local it's easy to collect. I have sold quite a number of things on there and have used photobucket for photos
    Good luck
  • I have bought used toys for Xmas before, and been given secondhand gifts, but eBay might not be the best place to sell them, since p&p costs can deter customers. If there are any forthcoming car boot sales in you area, maybe you could consider taking a boot sale stall? Toys are often big sellers at car boot sales (only worth doing if you have a car though - in my experience it's just too much hassle otherwise!) I expect your son wants to make some money from his old toys, but if you're left with any unsold, you can always persuade him of the virtue of giving them to charity/ local Xmas toy appeals for disadvantaged kids. Young kids are usually quite receptive to the idea of giving to help others.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Some things you can only get second hand aswell, my son was over the moon last year that Santa found Robot Wars toys when they are no longer sold in the shops, all wrapped in a great big box together with a giant bow :) who needs original boxes.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • bella4uk
    bella4uk Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If the items are heavy, you could do a job lot with the option buyer to collect.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've bought loads of second hand toys from car boot sales and my two year old is none the wiser. It may change as he gets older but I shall try to educate him about the benefits - he gets more toys and we spend less money.

I have also sold toys (ones he had new and ones bought second hand) at car boot sales - some I have even made more than I bought them for and my little boy had some play value out of them too.

I'm all for second hand if its in good or reasonable condition so would give it a go if I were you.

After all the above though sons Christmas presents this year are new - a train table bought 27th Dec 05 in Wilkinsons sale reduced from £60.00 to £30.00 and a Bob scrambler bought from Boots with 20% off and lots of additional points. His stocking will have both new and second hand stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure