What about being employed and self-employed?

Options
Morning everyone. I was after a bit of advice before trying to claim back from my loan, it's all a little bit confusing if I'm honest... I somehow managed to find my original paper work for the loan, back in 2001, I honestly cannot believe I've being paying it for THAT long, I've extended it a few times admittidly but back in 2001 it was only an 24 month term. Anyway that isn't what I need advice on, when I took the loan out I was classed as employed as I work part time as a fire fighter and self-employed as (back then) I also worked on a building site. I only took the loan out when I was self-employed as I was making a good/regular income, I know I told them I was self-employed and from what I've read that's a big no-no regarding PPI, but then I was also classed as employed. Now the employed work with the fire brigade really doesn't pay enough to live off and after loosing my self-employed work I tried to claim seeing as I paid for the protection but was told because I was working for the fire brigade I was actually still classed as employed so had to pay up. The money from the fire brigade would just pay for the car and petrol every month (which was actually the loan) but other DD took that pay before the loan DD so had zero money for them or to live on. But because I was still 'employed' Barclays chassed me up for not paying my loan with letters and charged me extra even though they know I don't have any money. I was only told I could claim on the phone when I tried to claim if I was recieving job seakers but I wasn't going to leave the brigade just to sign on. So just left the payments, I had no money so there was absoultly sod all I could do. In the end I had Barclays tell me they were going to shut my account if the arrears didn't get paid, then some finanical person from Barclays rang and re-structured my loan, longer term, less every month, but by this time I was back in work so just took the longer term, less every month option after what I went through. The last two times i've extended my loan I've always been employed/self-employed, with the self-employed being the main earner and the bank knew that.
So long story short... Sounds to me like nearly 10 years of paying loans (think it's been extended four times!) when I wasn't going to be covered because of being employed/self-employed the PPI I took out wasn't sutible for me, would that be grounds to claim? Another very quick one is the PPI was a one time payment added on to the loan (I forgot whats it's called) which I think affects things some how.
I'm sure they'll be more questions from me during this post but I think I'll leave it for now... Oh no, whats this SAR thing got to do with it all?

Many thanks to anyone who's stuck to the end of this post.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone. I was after a bit of advice before trying to claim back from my loan, it's all a little bit confusing if I'm honest... I somehow managed to find my original paper work for the loan, back in 2001, I honestly cannot believe I've being paying it for THAT long, I've extended it a few times admittidly but back in 2001 it was only an 24 month term. Anyway that isn't what I need advice on, when I took the loan out I was classed as employed as I work part time as a fire fighter and self-employed as (back then) I also worked on a building site. I only took the loan out when I was self-employed as I was making a good/regular income, I know I told them I was self-employed and from what I've read that's a big no-no regarding PPI, but then I was also classed as employed. Now the employed work with the fire brigade really doesn't pay enough to live off and after loosing my self-employed work I tried to claim seeing as I paid for the protection but was told because I was working for the fire brigade I was actually still classed as employed so had to pay up. The money from the fire brigade would just pay for the car and petrol every month (which was actually the loan) but other DD took that pay before the loan DD so had zero money for them or to live on. But because I was still 'employed' Barclays chassed me up for not paying my loan with letters and charged me extra even though they know I don't have any money. I was only told I could claim on the phone when I tried to claim if I was recieving job seakers but I wasn't going to leave the brigade just to sign on. So just left the payments, I had no money so there was absoultly sod all I could do. In the end I had Barclays tell me they were going to shut my account if the arrears didn't get paid, then some finanical person from Barclays rang and re-structured my loan, longer term, less every month, but by this time I was back in work so just took the longer term, less every month option after what I went through. The last two times i've extended my loan I've always been employed/self-employed, with the self-employed being the main earner and the bank knew that.
    So long story short... Sounds to me like nearly 10 years of paying loans (think it's been extended four times!) when I wasn't going to be covered because of being employed/self-employed the PPI I took out wasn't sutible for me, would that be grounds to claim? Another very quick one is the PPI was a one time payment added on to the loan (I forgot whats it's called) which I think affects things some how.
    I'm sure they'll be more questions from me during this post but I think I'll leave it for now... Oh no, whats this SAR thing got to do with it all?

Many thanks to anyone who's stuck to the end of this post.

Hi there and welcome

If this did not cover you for self employment then the policy is worthless to you.

A SAR can be useful, this entails data mainly going back to the last 6 years, some will supply data even going back to earlier than that, so if PPI have been taken out, then these details should all be enclosed within the SAR.
    There should also be copies of all loans taken out, dates and so on.

If you are interested in requesting a SAR (Subject access request), you enclose £10 cheque or postal order with this letter request, and they have 40 calendar days to comply.

There is a letter template here below if your interested:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

Now in regards of reclaiming, if you were think you were mis sold on each loan ppi account, then give it a go on the reclaiming.

You can do this by either writing a letter in your own words, because the first reclaiming letter template was replaced with a PPI reclaiming questionnaire on this site.

So if you decide to write:

Request for all your PPI and interest paid to that account.
    Give your reasons for reclaiming - give them as much information as possible.
    Ask that they comply by 8 weeks.
    Then confirm if you do not receive a favourable response/decision, you will consider taking further action to retrieve your PPI, such as with the courts or Financial Ombudsman service (FOS).

If you want to complete the questionnaire, you will find this on link below, further on down the page as stage one:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#reclaim
    Complete and send to whoever was responsible for the setting up of the policy.
    (If you have a few, and mis sold for the same reasons, it should be okay to keep to the same form, but make sure you write all account numbers that apply) or do them separately.
    Remember to keep copies as well, this is in case you need to refer to it later on for some reason.

You can do either or both of the above if you want to.

Hope this helps, good luck and please keep us posted.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • 2ndclasscitizen
    2ndclasscitizen Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2010 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Excellent thank you very much. One thing though, I was also employed at the same time, will that make a difference to anything?
    I have some paper work for my loans, all my statements from about '99 from claiming back for excess charges, but not all the loan stuff, so would it be better to get a SAR first as that will have all the infomation about my loans and PPI then start with a claim? That way I'll know totals.

Ta!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent thank you very much. One thing though, I was also employed at the same time, will that make a difference to anything?
    I have some paper work for my loans, all my statements from about '99 from claiming back for excess charges, but not all the loan stuff, so would it be better to get a SAR first as that will have all the infomation about my loans and PPI then start with a claim? That way I'll know totals.

Ta!

Hi and your welcome.

If you were employed at the time, but self employed it may not have protected you, so if you can get hold of the policy details this should confirm, if you don't have these they should supply them on request free of charge.
    If employed but not self employed it would have possibly protected you, but if they just added it or made you take it out, its still classed as mis selling.

You can request a SAR anytime, but it may help if you don't have much information to go by to help your reclaim, so its up to you really, yet there is no harm in starting a reclaim now as well if you want to.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that whether you have been self employed regardless you have always been employed as well?? If this is the case then the PPI would have covered your in your employment perhaps and that is why it did not pay out when your self employment stopped. ALthough the "employed" job was low paid it was still most probably over the 16 hours of work that most policies class as being employed. IF the employed job stopped then you would then be able to claim on the policy.
  • 2ndclasscitizen
    2ndclasscitizen Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2010 at 5:28PM
    Options
    The work with the brigade is on a pager system so I only get paid when I go out to jobs, the only time I'm contracted for with them is three hours a week every Thursday for training. I'd say I hardly ever do more than 16 hours a week.
    I always thought the cover was for if I couldn't afford to pay the loan, which I couldn't loosing my self-employed job, it was only when I tried to claim I was told I'd have to be signing on to be able to do so.

Also, the PPI is a single premium payment, I've read somewhere that makes a difference to a claim although I don't know why.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The work with the brigade is on a pager system so I only get paid when I go out to jobs, the only time I'm contracted for with them is three hours a week every Thursday for training. I'd say I hardly ever do more than 16 hours a week.
    I always thought the cover was for if I couldn't afford to pay the loan, which I couldn't loosing my self-employed job, it was only when I tried to claim I was told I'd have to be signing on to be able to do so.

Also, the PPI is a single premium payment, I've read somewhere that makes a difference to a claim although I don't know why.
    Hi there, if this ppi was frontloaded then put a claim in, also tell them about your employed/self employed status, also i would say you were unfairly treated by barclays as in your hard ship they charged you for missed loan payments (that you couldnt claim on ppi because of your employment status) and offered you a loan over a longer term that meant more interest and a longer term with them.If you have proof of your hours worked at fire brigade and you can prove you worked less than 16 hours, then that is a claim for mis sell in its self.Get a letter in and good luck.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure