Still being overpaid from old job - Do i have to come clean and pay it back?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
11 replies 1.3K views
SmileySmiley Forumite
46 Posts
Hi all,

I changed job earlier this year and for some reason i keep getting apid £100+ every month. :confused: I have put all the money into another account but i'm getting scared that i could get in serious troble if i do not come clean and give the money back.:eek: I used to work for local gov job. Should i go CAB or does anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks in advance.:T

Replies

• BossybootsBossyboots Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted them to tell them of their mistake? The longer you let this go on, the more risk of you being accused of intending to keep it. By moving it out of the account you have shown that you knew about the money and had not simply failed to check your accounts. You need to get onto them and sort this out.

Why did you not just contact them the first time it happened?
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd get in touch with your old boss, and let them know.

Someone forgot to cancel your wages, obviously.

Keep the interest earned, but hand the money back .
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • hjb123hjb123 Forumite
    32K Posts
    How many times have they paid you since you left the company? Theres no chance of it being holiday pay or anything else?

Either way I would get in touch with your old employer and tell them what is happening, and you are doing the right thing in putting the money to one side and not spending it.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • SmileySmiley Forumite
    46 Posts
    Thanks for all your replies. I've contacted my prev employer and have found out that its a tax rebate. Thank goodness now i can out shopping for a birthday treat!:beer:
  • sloppychopssloppychops Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smiley wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies. I've contacted my prev employer and have found out that its a tax rebate. Thank goodness now i can out shopping for a birthday treat!:beer:
    Seems a little strange for a tax rebate to paid every month this way.Normally if you are owed any tax back it gets paid in one go not over numerous months.
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • SmileySmiley Forumite
    46 Posts
    Seems a little strange for a tax rebate to paid every month this way.Normally if you are owed any tax back it gets paid in one go not over numerous months.

Thats what i thought, so i have been trying to contact tax office and keep getting passed from one place to another. Does anyone know who i should contact to query this, before i spend the money
  • Hi

This does seem very strange - when you left your old job, did they give you a P45 ? If so, this should have been the end of their dealings with your pay and any income tax as a copy of your P45 will have been sent to the Inland Revenue as a final statement.

Now I know bog all about tax credits - could it possibly be this ? I'm sure others could advise.

As far as contacting the tax office goes, you'd be better off paying them a visit (it'd probably be quicker too!!). Take any docs your old firm has sent you relating to the payments. I think your old payroll would be a better source of info than IR.

If your old firm hasn't sent any docs to you, I'd get back onto them and ask for some sort of written explanation to be sent as you're oncerned that you shouldn't be getting this money.

Finally, don't spend the money just yet, wait until someone, somewhere can give you an explanation that sounds plausible.

Good Luck :)
  • amanda40amanda40 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    If you were still on the books but not being paid it is normal that you would receive a small refund each month - depending on how much tax you had actually paid. This happens in the case of folk on unpaid leave following maternity etc. But this would dry up as soon as all your tax had been refunded so the best way to check is your last pay slip - what tax had been deducted to date? Then check what your refunds have been so far they shouldn't exceed tax paid. If you earned under the PA amount 5000(odd) then you would get all tax back if you had no further paid employment or taxable benefits. Hope this helps.
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs