PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Title absolute?

Options
I am looking to buy a property that has a hip and i am a little confussed about what "title absolute" means
it has the owner listed in 2003 as a the proprietor, then underneath it has something like
1987: restriction - Except under an order of the registrar no disposition by the proprietor of the land is to be registered without the consent of the proprietor of the charge dated XXXXXXX 1987 in favour of the XXXXXXX Building Society referred to in the Charges Register.

does this mean that the proprietor is the sole owner and has brought the property outright, or does the restriction mean that the property is partitially still owned by the bank?
Cheers
WN

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    Options
    Properties are owned by the owner. The registration of a charge means that the lender has first dibs on the proceeds of sale which is what you see. This makes it easier when the mortgage is paid off, there is no transfer of ownership [and no stamp duty]
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ttd14
    ttd14 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Dear White Noise

The proprietor -in a leasehold sense- is, quite simply, the leaseholder. You dont own the property, rather you own a slice of time in which you are allowed to occupy the property.

The original lease will list the original purchaser, as will the official copy entry from land registry (where your solicitor will register your interest in the property together with details of your motgagee).

The mortgage company merely has their interest noted in your property and the loan (mortgage) is secured against the property. A restriction is held by them to give them greater control over the property itself, together with what you choose to do with it.
    Trainee property solicitor from November 2008 - I do not accept any liability for the information I provide. This is provided on an 'information' only basis and you are encouraged to seek your own, independant legal advice.

Currently Employed by a UK Managing Agent
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ttd14 wrote: »
    Dear White Noise

The proprietor -in a leasehold sense- is, quite simply, the leaseholder. You dont own the property, rather you own a slice of time in which you are allowed to occupy the property.

The original lease will list the original purchaser, as will the official copy entry from land registry (where your solicitor will register your interest in the property together with details of your motgagee).

The mortgage company merely has their interest noted in your property and the loan (mortgage) is secured against the property. A restriction is held by them to give them greater control over the property itself, together with what you choose to do with it.
    Dear ttd14
    I have no idea why you are talking about leaseholds. Nowhere does the OP mention that he plans to buy a lease.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Without complicating things unnecessarily "title absolute" is a good a title as you can get. Most titles are absolute. The title relates to the property not to the owner so if you buy it you will get title absolute.

The restriction is so that while they have a mortgage on the property the owner cannot deal with the property without the lender's consent.

When you buy the property your solicitor will make sure that the seller's mortgage is paid off and that entry will be removed.

If you are getting a mortgage your lender may have a similar entry put on to stop you dealing with the property (selling off bits of land,grating second mortgages to finance companies etc) without its consent.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure