Octagon Car Insurance should I go with them?

Options
124»

Comments

• Monkeygirl1
    Options
    Useless company. I used to be with them for a number of years and this year suddenly received a letter that they are not able to renew my expiring policy. Rang them and asked them why, unhelpful staff and wasn't able even tell me why. Stay away.
  • This company does everything it can to make your life awkward especially if the accident is not your fault. We have had to spend nearly £1000 on phone calls to them just for them to do their job. You call them and you have to go on a waiting list for around 30 minutes, then you have to go through about 8 different departments before they say that they will definitely call you back, but never do. All they want to do is hang everything out, or just pay the third party out and try and brush it under the carpet, even though it isn't your fault. I have gone through a lot more stress then the accident gave me.

We informed them that there was cctv of the incident on the day of the accident but they didn't get hold of the footage until two days before it was due to be destroyed and only then after we had contacted the company ,which took us 4 mins and 29 secs, after they told us that they couldn't get hold of the relevant person. They are now withholding the repayment of our Excess citing that the other insurance company has to pay this back but they withheld it not the other insurance company.

Everyone you speak to tells you a different story. They do not communicate with their own solicitors or you. All in all they are an appalling company to deal with and I will never recommend them to anyone. In fact I will actively discourage people from using their services

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD STAY WELL AWAY!!!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Empire.

Octagon are correct that the other Insurer reimberses you the amount you paid for the excess.

You agree to pay the first part of a claim (Your excess) to Octagon, then if you're not at fault you can try and recover the excess from the other Insurers
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you manage to spend £1000 on phone calls?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Stacey1902
    Options
    I just queried my last years bill as all letters stated a certain price and just got told the credit agreement has a 14.75% interest, even though thats costed as #25 on all documentation.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    I accused them of trickery and not being transparent and this years renewal is very clear, however last year it isn't on any documents or premium credits documents who they use..
  • davieboy2428
    Options
    Dont go with them its terrible if they owe you anything you never get answers i have waited 2 months now for a refund due to me, terrible customer care it is just a total disgrace how they deal with customers
  • Odysseus
    Odysseus Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A relative is with Octagon and has had an accident - not his fault, witness there, police called etc. What did Octagon do? They told him that there were admitting liability to the other side because he couldn't prove he was not in the wrong!!!!!!! They made no attempt to contact police or witnesses.

Contacted the other insurers direct and they told him that their client had admitted liability and they would get his car repaired asap!

Avoid at all costs.
  • mrnomoneybags
    mrnomoneybags Posts: 630 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 October 2016 at 6:42PM
    Options
    These guys are cowboys, firstly denied cashback from quidco and refused my claim. Then they auto renewed my policy without my permission and took money from my account without permission.

I used the direct debit grantee to recover the money and they have harassed me for payment and threatened me with fines and now passed the money they say I owe them to a debt recovery agent.

I'd rather pay somebody else £50+ more money to void these clowns!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These guys are cowboys, firstly denied cashback from quidco and refused my claim. Then they auto renewed my policy without my permission and took money from my account without permission.

I used the direct debit grantee to recover the money and they have harassed me for payment and threatened me with fines and now passed the money they say I owe them to a debt recovery agent.

I'd rather pay somebody else £50+ more money to void these clowns!

Send the a copy of the Certificate of Insurance or Covernote you arranged with the alternative Insurer that ran from the renewal date to show you had alternative cover.

and/or send them an "Official Complaint" which they are duty bound to properly investigate and report back to you within eight weeks.

Keep the complaint polite and concise, there will be a good chance they will cancel any charges to avoid having to deal with the complaint
  • OctagonRipped
    OctagonRipped Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 27 March 2017 at 11:24AM
    Options
    I have been with Octagon insurance for few years without any claims till then everything was fine until this year i had an accident which was not my fault but was complicated and no witness but police called & council cctv was there but they didn't want to do anything about it! Then they charged me £200 for change of job status which I didn't know I had to let them know, I paid it. And another £350 excess. It has been 2 months since I have been waiting for my car to get repaired and still waiting and no they don't forget you they just go round & round, calling you every other day and taking same details or message/email to tell you to call back and your on phone for hours, which happens to be unnecessary. And take estimates again, just repeated calls and process but nothing comes out of it! If only i read this thread before taking out insurance with them! They just like to give hassle when your already stressed. I don't usually write reviews but i felt compelled to share my experience & warn other people of this horrible company, Please STAY AWAY FROM OCTAGON.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure