Octagon Car Insurance should I go with them?

Options

Comments

• philsko
    philsko Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Having had a year of insurance with octagon, I renewed for a second year. after 1 month they cancelled my policy and only refunded me half of the money,.. quoting admin fees and cancellation fee as the reason,.. because i didnt send them a proof of no claims, bearing in mind i had sent the previous year. they dont know whats going on within the company and are unhelpful when contacted.

RIP OFF
  • exoctagonclient
    Options
    I notice that several people have had a bad experience with Octagon. Have you tried to deal with their appointed solicitors? A car ran into mine while I was changing lanes at a roundabout. Silly me thought the solicitors for Octagon were on my side. No such luck! They keep trying to get me to make a 50-50 offer to the other driver, and the tone of their letters is, I think, trying to frighten me into this as if it goes to court it will be made as my fault. I've complained to the Financial Services Ombudsman about Octagon and await developments.
  • vlsin
    Options
    In the unlikely event you need to make a claim, avoid this 'company'.
    Somebody hit my car in October 2013. as I type I am currently on hold still after having been cut off again! they try to get hold of the 'handler' but I don't think she exists. at one point they closed the case without telling me , I called and they informed me then reopened. I have left my number lots of times, no reply. its a shambles. I've paid more and gone with m and s insurance this year.
    please avoid.
  • vlsin
    Options
    exactly same as me! what a joke.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    vlsin wrote: »
    ....I've paid more and gone with m and s insurance this year.......
    Out of the frying pan then.

(M+S are really bisl aka budget - read up on their reviews here and across the net)
  • stagman2014
    Options
    bhav27 wrote: »
    Having read all reviews of most big brands like Churchill, Privilege, Egg I found them all given same rating as Octagon.

I agree with mikey72 that buying car insurance is just to get a piece of legal paper. Forget about claiming.

Having had an accident late yesterday afternoon I 'Googled' the OCTAGON site and noticed MSE complaints below their site. Having read the many complaints I was filled with dread.

I then contacted Octagon by phone and was greeted immediately by a polite and efficient lady who talked me through the claim procedure. This took just over 1/2 hour and I complemented her on her manner and understanding.

I know this is only stage 1,but I feel more confident now than I did reading the whole raft of complaints.

Just thought I'd offer my experience as a balance to the discussion.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having had an accident late yesterday afternoon I 'Googled' the OCTAGON site and noticed MSE complaints below their site. Having read the many complaints I was filled with dread.

I then contacted Octagon by phone and was greeted immediately by a polite and efficient lady who talked me through the claim procedure. This took just over 1/2 hour and I complemented her on her manner and understanding.

I know this is only stage 1,but I feel more confident now than I did reading the whole raft of complaints.

Just thought I'd offer my experience as a balance to the discussion.

Please keep us updated whatever the outcome as it will help the thread remain accurate
  • Jade070788
    Options
    This is the worse insurance company ever...
    I have been trying to get hold of information about a claim I made last August 2013 which only got sorted in July this year when I recevied half my excess back.
    No one seem to know what has gone and I was given 3 different stories in the past 5 days first day I ring get told I have 3uears no claims as I didn't have them protected and that I was at fault as hit in rear?? Confused as it was a head on collusion complete BEYOND ME. Then I ring again and get told i have 5 years and that my no claim was protect and it went 50/50. So when I came to actually cancel and they sent me the no claims bonus form which then state 4 years and that I was at fault!!! Angry is not the correct word...... Phone call after bloody phone call no real answer. This company is utter !!!!!... Then couldn't run a tap. So no I've been told that it is only 3 years and it went 50/50 so now to phone up my new insure and sort out octagans false information. HOPELESS!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    if its 50/50 it will show as at fault
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • djjibran
    Options
    They charge you £50 to cancel a policy.

plus on top they don't cancel your policy for another 14 days, they say they keep this in case you come back but it's a way to charge for another 14 days.

cheats cheats cheats.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport