PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Difference between "personal search" and "official search"

Options
Hi,

I'm a FTB. Just had an initial letter through from my solicitor and it says

"Please note the local search we intend to carry out is a "personal search" of the local authority carried out by a private search company. the information is not provided by the local authority directly and is backed up by indemnity insurance in case of mistakes. It is possible to commission an "official search" of the local authority which is compiled by the local authority. Please note the cost of an official search may be different from the cost of the personal search quoted and the result may take longer to be received. We charge a supplement of £15.00 plus VAT for carrying out an official search"

Is this normal? Is there any advantage of getting an official search over a personal search?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Richard_Webster
    Options
    Official searches are slightly better, but in most cases the advantage is pretty marginal. A few lenders (HSBC/First Direct are the most prominent) won't accept personal searches.

I notice the difference mainly in connection with highway adoption questions. An official search is likely to have a plan showing the extent of the adopted highway. In most cases this is pretty obvious anyway - a personal search will show that Bloggs Road is adopted and usually this means all the footway and carriageway of that road. However if the road starts off being wide and properly surfaced and then gets narrower but still has a metalled surface and then deteriorates into a rough unmade track, how far down it are the Highway Authority responsible?

So if I could see there might be an issue over the road or rear accessways, I might well make sure I did an official search.

The main advantage of a personal search is that they tend to be a standard price for any Council in the country so a solicitor can log onto a website and order it very quickly and some large firms may have negotiated volume discounts (which they may not pass on).

Councils vary in price from £50 up to well over £200 for some in London and also vary in speed. The personal searches are not necessarily quicker because although they are not meant to, some Councils ration access to the information, so there can be delays and in some cases the official search is a lot quicker than the personal search.

Most of the time the personal search is perfectly OK.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport