panic time

Options
124»

Comments

• bikerqueen
    Options
    If the banks are losing money on the debts (as with an IVA he wont be paying them back the full amount they lent him) then yes, it is right that he sells the car and pays them back nearer the amount they are owed.

If you can post an SOA, and cut the amount down, even if it means going on a ~DMP so you are paying them back the full amount (albeit over a longer period than they would like) then no, it is not fair and he should be able to keep the car.

Simple really.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    I agree with everyone else-sell the car-he can always start again once the debts are paid off.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • sultry33
    sultry33 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, well just to update you, he had talk with his advisor and they say car may be safe.

i talked to him about selling and starting again when debts cleared and he said that to get out of debt if he had to then he would.

so fingers crossed.

well luckily im debt free, never had credit and never wanted it, but i can see how easy it is to get into debt.. my god his debt was double what he thought it was. good job we had that talk eh so he realised just how much debt he was in.

thanks for advice :-)
  • duncans-mum_2
    Options
    Thats good to hear. Nice to know that he is commited enough to getting debt free if he is willing to sell it, to secure your future together.:beer:
  • Dolly_Smith
    Options
    good - it's very hard (my dream is to own a maserati but it's just tough!!) but he's doing the right thing. I love my car but if I really had to do it, it'd go without touching the driveway
  • mrs_deadline
    Options
    Is there anyone close to him, friend or family who understands what it means to him, who he could sell it to to keep it safe for him? and let him buy it back when the debts are clear?
    :T:j :TMFiT-T2 No.120|Challenge started 12.12.09|MFD 12.12.12 :j:T:j
  • sultry33
    sultry33 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    yea thats what he is trying to do.. his dad is thinking of buying it but obv that means really still be his as he drive it... parents eh
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe if he really, really,really wants to keep the car he will sell everything else in order to pay off the debts etc, it may be that even living on the basics he can still not afford it- in which case it would probably have to go.
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • DontDoDebtKids
    Options
    Mirtos wrote:
    So why not look at it as 'wow', 'I've done that now. How cool. What's my new dream gonna be?' Then he can sell the car, and look forward, not back. It's a very expensive toy, and I think there are many more worthwhile dreams he could find for himself. :confused:

I second this!
    LBM: Nov 2004 Debt Apr06: £19,273.46 (Highest)
    Debt 2006: Jul:£18,552.06|Aug:£17,615.14|Sep:£16,297.98|Oct:£15,961|Nov:£15,760.66|Dec:£13,204.37
    Debt 2007: Jan:£13,183.71|Feb:£13,851.03|Mar:£13,349.15|April:£12,997.33 | May: £12,300.00 | June: £12,000 | July: £9,894.44 |Aug:£0
    Debt Free Date: 31 August 2007
    The £2 Coin Savers Club = £72
    Reclaiming my bank charges - £105 reclaimed
    My Diary: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=230561
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business