Money Moral Dilemma: Should neighbour pay as her son smashed the window

Options

Comments

• kaparobi
    Options
    A very similar thing happened to us. We park our car on the street and one day we went up to get it only to find the window smashed a stone in the footwell and a note saying "please knock on my door about your car!"

We presumed there had been a break in when infact it was a neighbours soon firing a catapult out of his window to see how far the stones would fly!!

We were lucky she immediately offered to pay and said not to risk losing our no claim bonus!!

Like previous posters have said even if your neighbour pays in instalments explain to her that you have had to pay an excess and really you feel that she needs to take some responsibility for her childs action!

K
  • summernights_2
    Options
    It's about time people started taking responsibility for their actions. In this case the son is probably unable to do this financially so it falls to the parent to show the initiative. She should pay up the £50 excess and then show her child that he can't be irresponsible and get away with it scot free. She could dock his pocket money for a time, get him to do jobs for the neighbour or anything that will make him think twice next time about his actions and the way they affect other people.
  • Your neighbour should have offered to pay, but it's difficult to make her do so if she doesn't realise that herself, so not much you can do except a) act coldly towards her; b) tell the child not to come near your car again; c) forget about it; d) move to a nicer area.
  • kormachameleon
    Options
    marklv wrote: »
    I'm glad this has not happened to me because I would be so angry that I would probably do something that would end me up in prison. :mad:

Kids should be banned from playing on streets where there is heavy parking. The council should have put up a 'no ball games' sign and then a breach of that could have meant a fine. Anyway, the neighbour definitely should pay, no question about it. Take her to the small claims court.

Yeah, Marklv. Cars are definitely more important than kids.
  • baeruth
    Options
    It is obvious that the injured party has the right to redress for the damage done and a good neighbour (and responsible parent) would have offered to pay, in installments if short of cash and

I am more concerned that the neighbour's disregard of the need to make reparation means that his son will not learn that actions have cosequences. The boy's parent should make him pay from his pocket money or, if the family are really short of money, offer some form of labour such as washing the injured party's car or a couple of hours gardening.
  • Fridaydalek
    Options
    marklv wrote: »
    Kids should be banned from playing on streets where there is heavy parking.

Alternatively, cars should be banned from where there is heavy playing. :)
  • asheranti
    Options
    I definitely think the neighbour should be accountable but going to a court will likely completely destroy the relationship between you which could make life difficult in the future. It might not even have occurred to her to offer to help or she might be seeing if she can get away with it. Challenging her on it politely may be all that's needed.

As you have claimed on the insurance it would be worth speaking to them to see what impact it will have on your policy. With this information in hand you could try inviting the neighbour over for a drink or meal, and bring it up gently in conversation. Explain what you did after the window was broken and that you had to do it ASAP to prevent any further damage to the car's interior from weather etc. Say how much it is likely to cost with insurance premiums increases as well as the £50 and that you would appreciate it if you could be compensated, with the suggestion she could repay it at £5-10 a week if that will be easier. If you take a firm, but fair approach and keep the conversation polite while being clear what you expect, hopefully she'll respond.

If this is unsuccessful this would be the point where I would take stronger action. You could try writing her a formal letter (keeping a copy yourself) saying you would like to settle it amicably, and stating in writing what payment you need, and say you don't want to take further action, but you may have to. If that doesn't work, perhaps the small courts option would be best.
  • Casanova
    Options
    This is the easiest "dilemma" in ages - you break something, you offer to pay/replace it. Although sadly, there is little the aggrieved person can do if the perpetrator or his parent(s) do not share this moral axiom.
  • The neighbour should pay, but there is a way that this can be done will not, or little cost (possible loss/reduction of a no claims discount) to the neighbour.

The damage would be covered under the public liability section of the neighbour's contents insurance. This covers acts such as these for the whole family and is an often overlooked valuable part of this insurance, which comes as standard.

You could even claim from your motor insurer and ask them to reclaim it from the neighbour's. This would mean that personalities would be kept out of it and the friendship could remain.

It would all depend, however, on the neighbour being willing to give the insurance details.

I did a similar thing when I was a kid in the 60's. My parents paid for the glass replacement and I went without pocket money for a month. I soon learned that I need to take responsibility for my actions.
  • summernights_2
    Options
    Alternatively, cars should be banned from where there is heavy playing. :)

Are you for real? My rear car window was smashed by children in my neighbourhood. They were skidding their bikes on the gravel road and flicking up the stones. It is a private road but none of their parents would think to tell them not to ride and play there. My car was on my own drive. As I did not know the children in question I couldn't go to their parents, they rode off too quickly and I had to pay for the repair myself. Heavy playing should be restricted to areas where it is not a nuisance to everyone else, preferably outside their own houses!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure