www.07tel.co.uk 0844 access not working

Options
cebolla
cebolla Posts: 31 Forumite
Hi guys,

Its been a while since i've visited as i've been away. I I've been using then www.07tel.co.uk's, 0844 484 8899 to access uk mobiles off peak for a while now.The last couple of weeks i've been getting a temporarily unavailable - recorded message. I am still getting an engaged tone in the daytime as it was before before.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone know of another off-peak 0844 number to connect to Uk mobiles.

Many thanks

cebolla

Comments

• thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Same here, and I've launched off an enquiry to them to ask if it wil ever get resurrected. Watch this space.

P.S. Why do you call yourself an onion?
  • cebolla
    Options
    I've still had no joy with this one. Have they got back you yet? I believe that the access no. on the 07tel site is actual one of the other providers number as i collect points on this number and on one (can't remember which, maybe orange access no.) and it recognised my CLI and announced my points. If we could work out which one it is, maybe they can shed some light on it. It never appeared on the call checker page so i wonder if there is another one?

I noticed virgin have raised the cost of accessing these 0844 numbers?

That access number was a little to good to be true anyway and i'm not suprised it's been discontinued although i can't work out why it is still engaged at peak times and isn't completley disconnected. Maybe the cost of the calls went up and the revenue from the access number stayed the same. Would be nice if they bothered to update the site though.

I didn't actually call myself an onion, it was a name given to me about 15 years ago on account of my "large, onion shaped" head (can't see it myself) and unfortunatley it has followed me around ever since.

By the way, what is a "thefirs"?

cheers

cebolla
  • narol
    narol Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    i used this number @ 5p etc....
    0844 5454 363

will this one work for you guys?

'onion shaped head' & 'thefirs' - this is getting surreal!!
    :eek: :cool:
  • thefirs
    Options
    narol wrote:
    i used this number @ 5p etc....
    0844 5454 363
    The attraction of the 07tel number was that it allowed onward calls to UK mobile numbers @ 5p per minute - does the 08445... number that you quote?
    cebolla wrote:
    what is a "thefirs"?
    Just the name of my house, pretty boring by comparison. I used to have a much more interesting psuedonym but it was lost in the big bang of switchover to vBulletin and the FAQs say you can't have one any more.

Yes I noticed that points started to accrue, but have no idea of where to, or what for.
  • cebolla
    Options
    While looking for the explanation on the points system ( http://www.pre-dial.com/frame_earnlist.htm ) i may have found the answer to my own question. It quotes 0844 484 4770 as able to access uk mobiles but no mention of peak/off peak. The number looks similar to our other number and i'm quite sure that this was the company which could tell how many points i had earned on 07tel's no. I'll give it a try after 6 and see if it works. Fingers crossed.
  • matrix999
    matrix999 Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    Options
    I use the Pre-Dial number mentioned above and it does allow onward connection to mobiles.
  • cebolla
    Options
    Thanks Matrix. I saw that you got no response from your previous post, but looks like you found out in the end. I take it that it is offpeak only although from the points sheet link i posted above it does say how many points you earn at day/eve/wknds so this may be even better than the last one. hooray.
  • matrix999
    Options
    It does appear to work during the day but i use it off peak as i get 50 off peak mins every day with O2 so i dial the 0844 number and this deducts my inclusive minutes and then i onward connect to other networks when prompted.
  • matrix999
    Options
    Tried the 0844 Pre Dial number last night and its doesn't appear to allow you to call mobiles now.
  • thefirs
    Options
    The following now appears on the website:
    Update March 2005

Regrettably, the 0871/0844 access numbers have been withdrawn, due to financial reasons and discontinued service of two providers, which we used to handle calls.

This means our access numbers will no longer be available.

If you had any points (call credit) remaining that you gained whilst using our 0844 service (the total would have been read out, when you dialled in) please contact us for another access number to use up any remaining points, please note any call credit will be registered against and can only be used from the number you called from at the time.

We are currently looking into alterative ways of routing calls, the website will be updated if we’re able to offer a similar service in the foreseeable future.

Again we apologise for the inconvenience caused, due to circumstances with our service providers.

Thank you to all our users.

07 Tel

Update31/03/05 - the following email received today:
    Dear Sir / Madam,

If you send us an email, we apologise for the delay in replying, please
    refer to our website for more information.

Customers using our 0844 access number after 11/10/2004 and gained
    points (call credit) whilst calling mobile numbers, can dial 0844 484
    4770 to use up any remaining credit.

Kind Regards,

07 Tel
    http://www.07tel.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income