Door between house and conservatory - questions

Options
Tell me about building regs concerning the door between the house and conservatory. Conservatory hasn't gone up yet, currently the door is an old single external double glazed uPVC thing, pretty normal width/height (1m x 2m at guess). I would like to get this replaced with the new conservatory, but would like to know what my options are and what's within regs. I want to stay with in building regs, to keep it kosher and because I will probably want to sell in around 5 years time.
  1. Am I right in saying I can't ditch it completely, to comply with building regs?
  2. Does it have to be an external door, or can I fit a normal internal door?
  3. Does it matter which way it opens (into kitchen or into conservatory)?
  4. I really don't like the plastic threshold on the door step, what options are there that avoid this?
  5. Does it need to have fancy secure locks? In respect to regs or insurance? Conservatory itself has decent 6-point shoot locks etc.
  6. I foresee the door being open most of the time, so to minimise the space it occupies I'm thinking of a bi-folding door or narrow French doors. Any recommendations, advice?

Comments

• Mayflower10cat
    Options
    On the advice of our builder & also the conservatory company (yes we had to satisfy building regs, too) we opted for an exterior quality part glazed/panelled oak door, with a 5 lever mortice lock on it. We wanted the door to open outward into the conservatory and fold flat against the wall, so we had to use parliament hinges. They're not cheap, but it makes sense to buy decent quality ones, plus the oak door was incredibly heavy. Originally we were going to put a door on just to satisfy the Buildings Inspector then take it off, but it's actually quite handy having the door in place. For instance, in the hottest evenings of the summer, we felt happy to leave the conservatory doors/windows open with the internal door locked while we sat out having drinkies with the neighbours.
  • leveller2911
    Options
    Arfa__ wrote: »
    Tell me about building regs concerning the door between the house and conservatory. Conservatory hasn't gone up yet, currently the door is an old single external double glazed uPVC thing, pretty normal width/height (1m x 2m at guess). I would like to get this replaced with the new conservatory, but would like to know what my options are and what's within regs. I want to stay with in building regs, to keep it kosher and because I will probably want to sell in around 5 years time.
    1. Am I right in saying I can't ditch it completely, to comply with building regs?
    No, you can ditch the door as long as the conservatory complies with Part L of the Building regs(double glazed roof rather than Polycarbonate and all windows must also meet part L.
    1. Does it have to be an external door, or can I fit a normal internal door?
    No, you can fit an internal, you need to seperated the conservatory from the house if you go with Polycarbonate
    1. Does it matter which way it opens (into kitchen or into conservatory)?
    No, it can open either way
    1. I really don't like the plastic threshold on the door step, what options are there that avoid this?
    Take out the plastic frame and put in a timber door lining without a threshold and carpet/floor through.
    1. Does it need to have fancy secure locks? In respect to regs or insurance? Conservatory itself has decent 6-point shoot locks etc.
    As long as the locks to the conservatory doors are all British standard 5 lever locks and all opening windows are lockable you don't need a lock on the "internal door"
    1. I foresee the door being open most of the time, so to minimise the space it occupies I'm thinking of a bi-folding door or narrow French doors. Any recommendations, advice?
    Whichever you prefer, but narrow French doors can be a pain as they can be too narrow to just use one door for frequent use

I'm sure there will be plenty of others on here with good advice....
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the advice of our builder & also the conservatory company (yes we had to satisfy building regs, too) we opted for an exterior quality part glazed/panelled oak door, with a 5 lever mortice lock on it. We wanted the door to open outward into the conservatory and fold flat against the wall, so we had to use parliament hinges. They're not cheap, but it makes sense to buy decent quality ones, plus the oak door was incredibly heavy. Originally we were going to put a door on just to satisfy the Buildings Inspector then take it off, but it's actually quite handy having the door in place. For instance, in the hottest evenings of the summer, we felt happy to leave the conservatory doors/windows open with the internal door locked while we sat out having drinkies with the neighbours.

Why did you feel that had to keep the door locked while you were sitting outside? Were you afraid that your neighbours would overpower you and ransack your house? :huh:
  • Arfa__
    Arfa__ Posts: 584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks leveller2911, that clears a lot of things up. Yep the conservatory we're going for is fully double glazed, Pilkington Akiv & K glass on roof, and K-glass all round. So I guess we'll be looking for an internal wooden door and frame. Is there anything else I should check, to ensure it all complies with Part L?
    As for narrow French doors, see what you mean, if we wanted to just open one. But then opening both is no big deal. More concerned about the space the doors take up when they open up into the room. Our current door opens into the Kitchen and is always in the way, constantly opening/shutting it to get by. :(
  • fluffymuffy
    Options
    No. You must have an external door unless the conservatory complies with the full weight of the building regulations.

There is a "whole of house" method for SAP (heat loss) calculations by which thermal improvements to other areas can balance the heat losses but by this route our LA would want the building regs applied to the whole thing - including foundations.
    I am the Cat who walks by itself and all places are alike to me.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    In a way its simpler to have a folding door as its extra security, well insulated if you don't want to use the conservatory at a time and want to leave it cold and its of exterior standard so protects against planning issue.

We Had a 3 panel aluminium framed one after being advised against hardwood or upvc. You have a lot of options how it works ie which side it folds or how its split etc, with ours basically the right 3rd is the quick access door. By pressing the middle hidden lock the lot slides easily all to the left side. We had them remove the mortar on the opening brickwork and use a low profile bottom rail option. Most importantly we had the conservatory built so the finished (tiled) floor height would match the lounge floor (with carpet). Very happy with the result as it acheived the desired effect of making it feel like a bigger through lounge when we want it too.

When we go out all day we tend to lock the folding door as its very strong and has the usual modern multipoint locking system so why not?
    Although our opening was similar width to yours we went for 3 panels instead of usual 2 because like you wanted it open most the time, so at the cost of a bit of light when closed (due to more frame) when open the shorter stacked panels stick out into the room a lot less.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were told building control may require a door between kitchen and conservatory. I said let's submit the plan without and fit if they say. They did not say so we didn't fit. Conservatory was inspected and approved with no door.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Arfa__
    Arfa__ Posts: 584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm, so, I'm still no wiser, internal or external door?! How can I find out?

If I do need an external door, I'd probably opt for a uPVC one, for cost reasons and in keeping with windows/conservatory. Are these available without the bottom threshold? Or is it a case of just getting a low profile one (how tall are these)?
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2010 at 2:29PM
    Options

If I do need an external door, I'd probably opt for a uPVC one, for cost reasons and in keeping with windows/conservatory. Are these available without the bottom threshold? Or is it a case of just getting a low profile one (how tall are these)?

If you think about it logically, your conservatory will comply with the very latest building regulations for thermal efficancy.It will more than likely be better insulate than some parts of your house.It will be fitted with glass that allows the heat from the sun into the conservatory but not out. If you don't have the door seperating the house from the Conservatory it will actually be warming the house up.
    If it were the other way round and you had an extisting conservatory but wanted to build a house next to it I can see the logic of putting a door between the 2 to stop the heat loss from the old Conservatory.
  • fluffymuffy
    Options

Phone your council's Building Control dept and ask to speak to your local building inspector.
    I am the Cat who walks by itself and all places are alike to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure