PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Comments

• I'm in for a quick question here, if you could help please?

At the moment I have 'dress curtains' at the front lounge windows and last year (noticably) it was always cold in there, consequently we never used it much preffering atually to go to my warm bed (;) But thats not always possible is it when you have guests round of an evening. Would full curtains at the windows keep in the heat/warmth, I am prepared to spend on good quality lined ones.

We have full double glazing.

Thanks Dave's wife.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    You should notice a big difference with lined heavy curtains that you shut at dusk.
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Esther- funny you mentioned this,I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who is also having lots of trouble.We used to live in her house (we moved next door) and never had any damp or condensation.There was a survey done 3 years ago when we sold it to a lady who now rents it out to the neighbours and it was fine.She had Cavity wall insulation done last year and it does seem like the probs stem from then.Neighbour has to run a dehumidifier,and she says her clothes feel damp when she gets them out of the wardrobe.
    My DH is a builder and doesn't like CWI at all-always says the cavity was there for a reason.
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • EstherH
    I heard of another that. Problem is, what to do about it now. Would getting a dehumidifyer sort it out? Are they expensive to run? Have heard they are good to help getting the washing dry, but as trying to save on gas/elec bills I'm reluctant to use more electrical products.

Also, last year I didn't put the heating on until November. Hubby says that makes the house damp aswell. I know others keep heating off a lot of the time, so how do you all manage with damp?
    Second purse £101/100
    ALREADY BANKED:
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Hi All,

Dont know if this helps with the Damp problem - but the reason we knocked all the plaster of and therma-lined the walls was because i thought the house was damp (basically it was condensation in the very old plaster that went straight onto walls).

Cavities are there for a reason (although old houses dont have any) - its messy and expensive solution - but when you next need to decorate - knock the plaster off, baton the walls and then dryline / thermaline you will then have a gap again but be VERY warm. Sort of a house sandwich

brick / cavity wall insulation / brick / baton and gap / thermaline and then plaster.

Drastic i know - but you sure a heck wont get no damp / condensation and will be toastie :D oh i should mention if you go down this route be prepared for dust of desert strom proportions and possibly a divorce!
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • EstherH
    Well thanks for the advise. The thought of it is horrifying though. lol!
    Second purse £101/100
    ALREADY BANKED:
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • I need to sit down this weekend and plan out exactly what I need to sort.

I know that I need to organise a box for my car (as I'll be in it a lot more than previously). Spare shoes and socks (I have driving shoes - must take them back to the car from under desk since last wet day!). A torch (I think I'll get another of the Muji ones that wind up - they are great!). A rug (I have spare large cellular blankets I can use). A bottle of water (we got 4 bottles tesco basics water last year when weather was really bad, but were among the lucky ones not to lose water, so one of those would be good). Food (I usually have some boiled sweets and a cereal bar in the glovebox, but I think a designated stash of a few things to keep 2/3 people a couple of hours would be good). De-icer (need to replace the old one as practically used up). I already have a canister of emergency tyre repair stuff (reinflates the tyre?). And my wellies live in the boot too so I can use them on the allotment - must get a fresh pair of thick socks though.

The house is pretty organised already - I have coal in, the draughts are dealt with, and I have lots of candles in too, as well as a Muji windup torch and 2 windup lanterns (the torch is better really, but everything would help). Boardgames, pack of cards and books are all easily accessible too. We have both gas and electric for cooking. I need matches though, so must add those to grocery list. And I have stockpiled my thermals in the sales last spring, although DD has grown so I need more vests for her this year.

The freezer is jammed at the minute and I need to clear it out for useful stuff. And we are hoping to do an extension shortly, so that will hinder for a while but help in the long run (into the attic so extra insulation, solar panel for hot water, and more space with a door on it).

And I want to make a couple of door snakes - one for upstairs to prevent cold air coming out of guest bedroom (we don't use it much and keep it unheated and closed off in winter unless guests are due) and the other for the door between kitchen and sitting room for the nights we have the fire lit and are being cosy.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    oh yes - I got hubbies old wooden sledge from his mum last weekend - have it sat in the porch ready and waiting for action!!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Oh, and just seeing the posts about sledges - DH was talking only Tuesday night about getting one before the snow this winter, as we've had enough to use one the past 2 winters!

The street have already planned on the "snowed in survival BBQ" being held again this year, whether it snows or not (5 houses shared hot dogs and burgers, coffee, hot wine and coca on the green around a BBQ one Saturday last Jan when we were JUST about snowy enough to say "snowed in" - we got SOME looks from the few who did risk driving out, but it was great craic and the kids had a ball too!)
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    I hate UHT (grew up on a farm, so milk is fresh white stuff that comes from cows!) I was thinking about freezing some milk but don't want to use the ice cube trays, I generally use the bags for ice. Does anyone know if it ok to pour milk into them? I assume it is, but not heard of anyone doing this.

I just freeze milk as is in the plastic bottles they come in. I've never had a problem.

If you don't fancy the thought of HUGE great bottles defrosting in your sink, then you could buy a couple of individual pints to put in the freezer. I try to keep two that size in there at all times - but then I pinch empty pint bottles from work as soon as they're empty, rinse 'em out thoroughly and decant the 4 pint size into them because I'm too tight to pay the extra penny or so for individual pints to put in the freezer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure