Using Pre-paid envelopes sent by credit card companies/banks

Options
Hi all,

I read somewhere that you can use the pre-printed and pre-paid envelopes sent to you by banks etc. to send to wherever you want by sticking a label over the address printed on already.

Is this true? Are there any problems with doing this? Anyone else do this already?

DDDK :money:
LBM: Nov 2004 Debt Apr06: £19,273.46 (Highest)
Debt 2006: Jul:£18,552.06|Aug:£17,615.14|Sep:£16,297.98|Oct:£15,961|Nov:£15,760.66|Dec:£13,204.37
Debt 2007: Jan:£13,183.71|Feb:£13,851.03|Mar:£13,349.15|April:£12,997.33 | May: £12,300.00 | June: £12,000 | July: £9,894.44 |Aug:£0
Debt Free Date: 31 August 2007
The £2 Coin Savers Club = £72
Reclaiming my bank charges - £105 reclaimed
My Diary: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=230561

Comments

• Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't know about using them for other places, but in a Bill Bryson book i read he said that he shreds the loan/cc application and returns it to them in the envelope - it costs them money that way and hopefully annoys them. His theory was that if everyone did this they'd soon get fed up and it wouldn't be cost effective to bombard everyone with the offers! :rotfl:
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • kirkie_2
    Options
    Storm wrote:
    Don't know about using them for other places, but in a Bill Bryson book i read he said that he shreds the loan/cc application and returns it to them in the envelope - it costs them money that way and hopefully annoys them. His theory was that if everyone did this they'd soon get fed up and it wouldn't be cost effective to bombard everyone with the offers! :rotfl:
    I do this all of the time.....
  • yung
    yung Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kirkie wrote:
    I do this all of the time.....

me too I have been doing it for quite a while now and it has been so effective I don't get any mailshot at all.
    Yung
    Early Retiree debt & stress free. and Joined the SKI club:j

• LeanneF
    Options
    You could test this by posting something to yourself & wait for it to arrive.

To add the the excitment, stick a 20 pound note in :)
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to just post them back empty, until I saw a post, on this forum, where someone put other junk mail leaflets, usually double glazing, in the envelopes. Apparently it costs the original company every time the envelope is used.
    Just be careful to remove any reference to your own name and address from anything you put in an envelope.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH tried to use a pre-paid envelope to post something to himself - Just to test whether it works. He does get these funny ideas from time to time :rolleyes:

Well, about a week later, we got a card through the door while at work to say we have a letter to collect. Off he went to the post office and he had to pay not only the cost of a second class stamp but also £1 for the post office sorting the letter out :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think he learnt his lesson :rotfl: So, in answer to your question, no it doesn't work unless you send it back to whomever send it to you.

PS I LOVE the idea of posting forms etc back but don't really get that many after I registered with the mail restriction service.
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • klondyke
    Options
    You can use the envelope to go somewhere else, by sticking a label over the original address, but you need to add your own stamps. I hardly ever buy new envelopes!!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    klondyke wrote:
    You can use the envelope to go somewhere else, by sticking a label over the original address, but you need to add your own stamps. I hardly ever buy new envelopes!!

Isn't that taking the DFW crusade just a bit too far?:rolleyes:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    I rip it up and send it back. with the capital one I wrote leave us alone on it. I left the name bit on so hopefully they will take the hint.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• woohoo_postingid
    Options
    They can come in useful.

I recently cancelled my Scottish Widows DD as I found it impossible to contact anyone there. Needless to say, within a couple of days, I received a new DD mandate form for me to fill out with them saying there was an 'error'.

I used the envelope to send my letter of complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure