Nationwide secure messages - do they ever reply?

Options
This time last week I sent Nationwide a secure message on their online banking - after I got fed up of waiting on hold for the telephone operator to find out something and paying for the privalege I decided it'd be quicker to send them a message. They say they will aim to reply within 2 days - which itself is RUBBISH - how long does it take to read and reply to an email?

Anyway, last Friday I still hadn't got a reply so I sent them a second message reminding them about the first. I still haven't had a reply to the message originally sent SEVEN DAYS ago.

What is the point of having a secure message service if they never reply to them?

Incidentally, the only reason I needed to contact them in the first place is because a blank form I requested from them wasn't complete when it arrived because the envelope had never been sealed! :eek: At least it was only a blank form with none of my info on it!
student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...

Comments

• thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They do eventually reply, but there's rather a "mañana will do" attitude from NWBS on this one. More often than not they can't be bothered to deal with it in writing and just say "ring our service desk", as if that was good enough - you having taken the trouble to set out a frequently complex account in writing.

If you want an efficient online banking operation, look at First Direct. They're just about to beat NWBS's eSavings by 0.2% anyway.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used the secure messaging several times, and they have always replyed within about 2 days giving a proper answer.

The only time that they said call the service desk is when i had a query about my credit card, apparntly you can't use secure messaging to for credit card queries.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mmm. All I want to know is the address to which I need to send the R85 form I requested - it had no return envelope included. (I opened my account online so I don't have a branch to send it to...). I did call up the helpline last week & the person I spoke to went to find out, but after they'd left me on hold for five minutes I got slightly bored of paying to listen to elevator music and I just hung up.

I suppose I could just request another set of forms online and wait for them to come in the post - they'd probably arrive quicker than the reply to my secure message.

Unless anybody here happens to know where you need to send an R85 form for Nationwide?

Oh, and the only reason I opened the Nationwide account (it's not my main account) is so I can make free withdrawals when I'm working abroad this summer.
  • thedon
    thedon Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with Nationwide for over 10 years, and would be very suprised if they didn't handle the paperwork at your local branch for you.

I'm sure you could either phone the local branch to confirm and post it to them, or drop in when you're in town. I've never had anything but A1 service from them - and would be amazed if you didn't get the same.

They've got a link to the "branch finder" at the bottom of their home page - https://www.nationwide.co.uk - just click the drop down arrow alongside the "What do you want to do?" selection box.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've only used the messaging facility a couple or so of times and each time have received a satisfactory answer within a day or so.
  • student100
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Finally got a reply! (after I sent them the message for a third time this morning pointing out that it had been a week).

From what you say it sounds like this was an unfortunate one-off.
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    I would agree if they didn't reply to you that is not good, however have to say my dealings with the NW in Swindon has always been ok..At least you get to someone who is in the UK and speaks the mother tongue in contrast to a lot of companies where you get transferred to somewhere with the cheapest labour costs and where inevitably you have to explain things over and over again.

I had a problem with Scottish Amicable who obviously have a call centre in India..The service was atrocious and it proved impossible for me to make myself understood..so lets count ourselves lucky that NW still have UK based customer services.
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently went into Nationwide to pay in £500 in cash. When the paying in was finished, I pulled out a ten pound note and asked for ten one pound coins. The cashier picked up a bag with about five pound coins in looked at it, then told me she couldn't change the £10! If I wanted pound coins I would have to draw £10 out of the account in coins! How ridiculous is that!!!
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Student 100's problem with Nationwide's secure messaging are quite typical of the difficutlies I have had in trying to use this service. Yes, I agree that the two-day target to reply is poor enough - it does not take this long for the messages to work their way around to a CS person I am sure - and, anyway, they should set themselves a more 'challenging' 24 hour target at the very least if it is only meant as that - a 'target'.

But it is usually when they do reply that the troubles really begin: They typically address a question or issue which is only 'proximate' to the one you raised with them. They obviously use 'cut and paste' a lot, so that the only original bit of their response may be one or two sentences - and the rest comes from an 'FAQ' type source. This invariably means that you have to 'reply' by explaining that they have not really answered the question you asked - and promplty enter into another 48+ hour delay whilst they 'aim to respond' to this. And when they do come back to you it is someone else [responses are always in someone's name - one tick!] who replies. Thus they cannot accept any responsibilty for the poorly aimed first response, and it is pot luck if their 'first stab' of an answer is any nearer the mark.

Although in most respects Nationwide is an excellent service company - with consistently good products - and enjoys strong public relations nationally - they really aren't cut out for customer service. Their online banking is really very good - and they keep improving it. But that just makes the fact that their staff can't reply to, and resolve issues, 'online' quickly or accurately the more pressing. If you go into a Nationwide branch - then it's queues, queues, and queues these days. I try to avoid making use of the counter service for this very reason - helping them out as it were - yet in constrast to the most other banks I find they actually do fewer things in branch than they used to. Unless it's basic account handling, counter staff are very reluctant to help or summon help and invariably say they don't handle this-or-that any more [eg confirming interest on accounts]

Thus Nationwide has general problems in the customer care area and they score about 3 out of 10 on this IMO. The only thing we can do is press our issues on to managments whenever possible as I don't see it getting any better any time soon, sadly.

I would however commend their general communications and find their Media centre is often the place to go to find out many of the questions you might have - and thus avoid falling back on a secure message

Finally, according to my April Flexaccount Statement: "Coming soon, a simple and quick way to manage your current account. Our new Telephone Self Service allows you to check your balance, receive a mini statement, transfer money and pay bills, whenever and wherever suits you. Look out for further information on this new service" [It's not 'new' of course - Nationwide offered this way back in 1987 when they launched Flexaccount and withdrew it later, but it is a welcome fact that they will be reinstating it shortly.]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • student100
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Milarky wrote:
    Finally, according to my April Flexaccount Statement: "Coming soon, a simple and quick way to manage your current account. Our new Telephone Self Service allows you to check your balance, receive a mini statement, transfer money and pay bills, whenever and wherever suits you. Look out for further information on this new service" [It's not 'new' of course - Nationwide offered this way back in 1987 when they launched Flexaccount and withdrew it later, but it is a welcome fact that they will be reinstating it shortly.]

Yeah, I was slightly baffled by that - most other banks have been offering telephone banking for years, and you can do all of what they mentioned online anyway...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure