Do babies steam sterilers use lots of electric?

Options
Hi I am new to the money saving site but as I am maternity leave and on no pay at the moment , every little helps.
I have been trying to save electric, but just wondering if anyone knows how much electric a babies stem steriliser unit uses, as i run it at least twice a day.
Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j

Comments

• beeniemac
    Options
    Anything that heats up will generally use a lot of electricity, so yes, I sould imagine it does use quite a lot.

LBM
    September 2006

Yorkshire loan: £4164 >>> £0
    Amazon CC: £320 >>> £1700 (oops)
    HSBC OD: £1300 >>> £200

Total £5784 >>> £1900 21/05/2006

• Sting_2
    Sting_2 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Could you put twice as many bottles in, then you would only use it once a day.

Having said that I am not sure how long they remain sterile for once you turn the steriliser off.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,533 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would guestimate somewhere between 5-10p per hour.
  • angeluk69_2
    Options
    why not cold sterilise much cheaper????
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It works out the same to cold sterilise because you have to keep buying the fluid.

The steam steriliser uses the same amount of electricity as a kettle does as it's basically the same object.

How old is the baby? After 6 months you don't have to sterilise them anymore.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,533 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The steam steriliser uses the same amount of electricity as a kettle does as it's basically the same object.
    A lot less, I would hope! I think a kettle would erupt to dryness pretty quickly if it didn't turn itself off.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    You can sterilise baby's bottles the old fashioned way in a pan on the hob.

You can use the chemical sterilising fluid and recycle an old (large) ice-cream tub to put the bottles in.

Using an electrical appliance (IMHO) isn't just about cost, for me, it's an environmental issue too. But I respect that not everyone feels that way :) Have you given any thought as to what you'll do with it after 6-12mths? If you're relying on an electrical appliance to sterilise your equipment, have you considered what you will do if you have a power failure? Do you have a back up plan?

I wonder if new parents are being bamboozled into thinking/believing that they must splurge on these appliances as a necessity rather than an option? Bit like many things in life really :rotfl:

Good luck in finding a solution (no pun intended :o ) which fits your particular needs and ....

... :hello: Welcome to MSE :hello: ... plus ...

... CongratUlations on your new baby :beer:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Lots of suggestions on this page here....

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/sterilising/

Does it save you time using this unit, as personally I would have used anything that gave me a bit more time and would happily trade that for a bit extra on the electric bill :)
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    A 1 litre bottle of sterilising fluid only costs us 69p, so I would say that works out cheaper that steam sterilising.

We were given a steam steriliser, by someone who had tried it but decided fluid was an easier way, we decided the same and gave it away too.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The good thing about cold sterilising is that as long as the items are left in the solution they are still sterile. With the steam steriliser they only stay sterile for a few hours.

A friend of mine used hers to cook fish though when she had finished using it to sterilise bottles.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills