Help needed in finding a home for Yorkshire terrier cross

Options
I need advice on finding a good home for Rags he is in my care as a relative is no longer in a position to look after him .
He is eight years of age about the size of a border terrier a good looking dog ,he is at the vets next week having a scale and polish his breath is terrible but dont think he needs any teeth removing ,he has lived with other dogs but can be bossy ,he loves my springer but hates my german shepherd which is the problem .He has lived with cats ,but I would advise against this as he does not like a cat to go near his food bowl or its own ,he has lived with children but because of his possesiveness only over 10 having said that he adores my grandchild aged 8 .He did bark when I first left him but after just 2 days I am now able to leave him so this should not be a problem ,he is very clean in the house and has in the past been left all day with no mess ,he is not distructive ideal home would be as an only dog or living with a submissive male or female dog ,he loves to play with other dogs when out of the house but likes to rule within it he walks very well on his lead and loves to walk around the town his recall is good he is clever and will entertain with his tricks ,he loves to swim and will take any opportunity he can to leap into water .
I have registered him with yorkshire terrier rescue ,but any other advice will be taken on board ,I would love to keep him myself but my german shepherd is getting stressed and as she is now over 14 and suffering from cdrm she needs to come first .

Comments

• sewandsew
    Options
    I'd love to help but my old boy is still grieving his mum and dont think he would take to a new dog just yet.
    Good luck, I'm sure you will get him a wondeful home
  • dropscone
    Options
    Whereabouts in the country are you based?
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    Is he neutered? Where are you in the UK roughly?
  • 1sue23
    1sue23 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    dropscone wrote: »
    Whereabouts in the country are you based?[/QUOTE

I live in Skipton he is castrated and innoculated he would be best as the only dog .
  • 1sue23
    Options
    sewandsew wrote: »
    I'd love to help but my old boy is still grieving his mum and dont think he would take to a new dog just yet.
    Good luck, I'm sure you will get him a wondeful home

I dont think I could let him live with another dog although he is very friendly with my springer ,but then he is a very submissive dog who will always back down ,the problem is my german shepherd they hate each other and cannot be in the same room together ,although they go on walks togetherwith no problems ,it is when they come into the house together that the problem starts .
  • 1sue23
    Options
    I have found out that Rags has a grade 3 heart murmur ,what are the risks of surgury ? tomorrow he is to have his teeth scaled and polished is it worth the risk considering his heart problems . He seems very healthy no cough and seems to be able to run and play with no loss of energy .
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Contact Little Dog Rescue.

http://www.littledogrescue.co.uk/
  • 1sue23
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    Contact Little Dog Rescue.

http://www.littledogrescue.co.uk/

I have been working with him and he is now settling down and is getting on better with my german shepherd ,because of his age and heart condition and because he seems so happy here I have decided to let him stay with me ,he needs work on his teeth but because of his heart murmur I am a little worried about the risk involved ,I have also noticed some swellings around the throat area and a lump on his chest I will get the vet to check these out tomorrow ,the ones in his throat could be related to his teeth they are quite bad and could be swollen lymph glands ,I am a little worried it could be more serious lymph cancer springs to mind ,having said that he is very active and loves his food and does not appear to be ill at all ,so fingers crossed he will be okay I have grown very fond of him he is a very friendly cheeky little dog and he loves it on my boat so heres hoping for the best .
  • EmptyPockets
    Options
    1sue23 wrote: »
    I have been working with him and he is now settling down and is getting on better with my german shepherd ,because of his age and heart condition and because he seems so happy here I have decided to let him stay with me ,he needs work on his teeth but because of his heart murmur I am a little worried about the risk involved ,I have also noticed some swellings around the throat area and a lump on his chest I will get the vet to check these out tomorrow ,the ones in his throat could be related to his teeth they are quite bad and could be swollen lymph glands ,I am a little worried it could be more serious lymph cancer springs to mind ,having said that he is very active and loves his food and does not appear to be ill at all ,so fingers crossed he will be okay I have grown very fond of him he is a very friendly cheeky little dog and he loves it on my boat so heres hoping for the best .

:T Yay for the little chap :T

So pleased to hear he has a permanent home with you, you sound like an ideal human for him - lucky boy :)
    "Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"
    :cry: R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever :cry:
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    1sue23 wrote: »

I'm so glad to read you're keeping him :T

Let's hope for the very best and that you have many happy years together :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure