help on tax credit and benefit

Options
Hi all,

I am currently working full time and so is my husband we've got one daughter (1 1/2 year old) so we are getting child benefit and WTC I think with the family element but not over.

I am now pregnant with twins so a number of things are going to change our situation:
1- I'll go on maternity leave and be paid for 8weeks then SMP at £100 per week until 26 weeks

2- I will not return to work as my contract is ending during my maternity leave.. so our income will change

3- we will reduce the cost of our current chilcare from full time (£150) to 2 days (£56) while I'm not working

I have therefore a number of questions:
1-when can i inform inland revenue of my change of salary after the 8 weeks or after the 26 weeks?

2-will we get the sure start maternity grant at least for one of the twin? Can I claim it after I have told inland revenue about the change in income (i. e. 1 month after the birth when i'm on SMP?)

2- If I haven't found a job when can I apply for job's seeker allowance, will I be entitled to anything since I have contributed for 7 years

3- is there anything else I could be entitled especially since we will have 3 childs?

thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anitap,

Sorry this is going to be a quick reply as I have to go to bed!

You need to inform Inland Revenue when your income increases or decreases by £2,500.

Regarding the other questions I have no quick answer but suggest you go to your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will be able to go over all the different scenarios with you and make sure that you get the correct benefits at the right time.

Good Luck! :)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • dandy
    dandy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure what Im doing wrong but excuse lack of apostrophes, they translated into a string of code in the preview so I have cut them out. And sorry this is 2 months late, I am new!

1. Tax Credit is based on an estimate of income (they use the previous year as a starting point, and you tell them if its any different). So you can work out an estimate of your income for 04-05 and tell them anytime. Dont forget £100 a week of any maternity pay doesnt count as income.

2. Depending on how this changes your Tax Credit, you may receive more than the basic family element and therefore be entitled to a £500 grant for each baby. It may be that your Tax Credit wont increase to the Maternity Grant level until the new babies are added to your claim. Either way claim the Grants before the babies are 3 months! P.S Tax Credit basic family element is around £10 a week, double if theres a child under the age of 1, and you need to receive more than this level to claim Maternity Grants. Check with the Tax Credit Office if unsure.

3. You should be entitled to Jobseekers allowance, as long as you satisfy the seeking work requirements and have sufficient contributions.

4. Did you claim the old Childrens Tax Credit tax allowance in the year 02/03, thats if your first child was born before April 03? This is still available as a tax rebate. If youre on a low income and have a high rent or council tax you might pick up a bit of benefit for those.
  • nen65
    Options
    can anyone help me im trying to place a question on benefit entitlement. i am in reciept of long term incapacity benefit and live with a partner that works full time. we recieve WTC and child tax credit as i have two sons at home, one is 9 and the other is in reciept of income support/ middle rate DLA no mobility. i want to go back to self employed work as an holistic therapist, doing part time hrs. im new to this forum and im getting totally confused!! (lack of computer knowledge not helping) :) thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure