Orange. Increasing mobile bill

Options
SG_crazy
SG_crazy Posts: 27 Forumite
Hi all,

I'm a long time reader but don't post often. However I really do feel stuck at the moment.

I've had a contract phone with orange for at least 4 possibly 5 years. In November 2008 I signed another 18 month deal that was a retention and they included unlimited 3G data plus dropped the price of the Dolphin 30 contract by £10 for 18 months.

That contract obviously expired in May 2010 and as expected the £10 loyalty deal ended but the rolling contract continued. Foolishly, I didn't expect the data plan to end as assumed I'd been placed on a newer Dolphin contract that included the data plan (as Dolphin 30 does) but it did. I moved house at the end of June and was obviously without internet for around 2-3 weeks so used my phone to access eBay/facebook/online banking.

I then received a bill for £183 :eek: I was shocked, having been charged £1/Mb of data. At this point I felt something was wrong so rang orange who said the unlimited data had been removed from the plan. I asked why but they insisted I hadn't been updated to the revised Dolphin_30 plan and so hence the data charge. Although I should have maybe checked, I did feel this was unfair so argued my case. They agreed to a £75 credit bringing the bill to £107.

A few days later I couldn't see a credit to the online bill so canceled
the direct debit and phoned them again. Had the whole same talk, going through supervisors who said yes they'd apply the credit and i'd receive a final paper bill (always had paper billing)

In the meantime I ported to another mobile operator as was dissatisfied at trusting orange. I'd waited for a paper bill and nothing came. I decided I'd login to the account, see if the balance was right and pay online however they had disabled the account so couldn't login. (This was probably mid-late July)

Finally received a bill today, well more an outstanding payment notice for £155. No breakdown of charges etc. Called Orange again to explain that I never received a final bill and to why they are now charging £155 when we settled on £107. It made no sense at all. The adviser could not help at all, not explaining any charges or the reason for increase. I went around in circles for half an hour and just gave up.

I'm at a real loss end what to do now. I should probably just pay it and be done but I feel a little bit sore for how the data bundle ended despite being on Dolphin 30 still. But more so, that the charge had increased since accepting their £75 good will gesture making the bill £107. If the notice had been for £107, I'd have paid it and never taken a contract on with orange again.

So, please. Does anyone having any suggestions. I can't seem to get any answers from orange at all.

Many thanks to anyone who can advise
David

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the networks need to be challenged on what is effectively a PENAL rate for "out of bundle" data. When bundled data is normally sold in the region of a couple of pence or less per MB I could understand perhaps a 100% premium being added for going out of bundle, in the same way that out of bundle voice calls attract a premium, but they typically apply a premium in the region of up to 5000% which although shown in the smallprint, still amounts to effectively a PENALTY and an UNFAIR CONTRACT term as the penalty bears no connection to the cost of providing the service.
  • Sandieflowers
    Options
    David, personally I would just pay. I agree that the charge is totally unfair but a close relative had the same problem with Orange when he disputed his telephone bill.

He tried to sort it out with customer service and got no where. Orange went quiet for a few months and he just assumed they would eventually get back to him. Orange passed it on to a debt collector and there then followed an endless stream of threatening letters and phone calls and a default entered onto his credit file.

It took 18 months for him to finally get the detailed data charges from Orange, he had to involve the Information Commissioners Office to get it, and a further 6 months to get the default removed.

I don't think £75 is worth all the stress and aggravation that will come if you don't pay. Your satisfaction will come from not giving them your business again.

Best of luck
  • VK-2008
    VK-2008 Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    i had countless prblems with orange, i left and will not be going back

i would dmeand to speak to someone higher than supervisor, take full name, contact number, shifts working etc and tell them to deal with it

if still having no luck go into a store and tell tehm you want them to deal with it
    :A VK :A
  • Exhortation
    Options
    If Orange's systems are anything like what they should be then they'll have a record of everyone you've spoken to and, despite the fact they'll say otherwise, they should also have recordings of all your calls to them. Keep pushing until they sort this for you. Personally, I think £75 is worth the hassle. If they keep stonewalling you then go to OFCOM.
    If I've helped you please show your appreciation by using the "Thanks" button
    > :T
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SG_crazy wrote: »

So, please. Does anyone having any suggestions. I can't seem to get any answers from orange at all.

Many thanks to anyone who can advise
    David

My suggestion as always is to go straight to the top and stop wasting time with people at the bottom in call centres. There are some great CS advisors, but also lots of "couldn't-care-less" types as well.
    Contact the Orange CEO by email with your grievance and hopefully he will get it passed on to the correct person to resolve your issue quickly.
    No experience with Orange as yet, but works very well with both T-Mobile and CPW when the CEO's have been informed.

Orange CEO email: [EMAIL="Tom.Alexander@orange.co.uk"]Tom.Alexander@orange.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • SG_crazy
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'd actually pay the £75 but the problem was we settled with a £75 credit i.e. £183 - £75 = £107

However the bill has shot up to £155 and they can't tell me why. They just get cocky telling me its the cost of what I owed. But it can't be?

I my try the CEO thanks, i suppose its worth a shot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport