"No sorry, don't worry, it's not my phone number" blog discussion

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lol love it , I am always sending people here sayin " he is god he is god" but find I am now preaching the to converted as most folk I know are devotee's of this site and the richer for it
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    I must say I spread martins teaching at work, I mostly get ignored but I do try.

Likewise I am currently paying debts while keeping an eye on houses and most of the people who ignore what I say also say "just jump in". Yes I could start diverting all funds from paying my credit cards and get a deposit together quick sharp but the credit cards would still be there. As I point out to them I have managed to get nearly all my debt onto 0% deals so I am going to kill them while they are on there knees. All the say is "we had credit cards it didn't stop us getting a mortgage".

They don't understand that my mission isn't to get a mortgage asap, but to make sure I am in the best possible position before I take on a mortgage.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Percy1983, it's also possible to get an interest only mortgage as a first time buyer while having almost £20,000 in credit card debts and to be acting prudently.

I am... but I'm also an uncommon case, since I could buy the property for cash even after paying off all debts. At the cost of taking money out of the ISA tax wrapper, repaying money before the end of the 0% deals I've already paid the fee for and taking money out of investments that will make me better off long term.

None of which applies to the person Martin was speaking with, nor to almost all other first time buyers.

For your repayments, I hope that you're putting money into savings accounts until shortly before the deals end, then paying them off with a lump sum. And also using a minimum payments direct debit and £1 standing order so your credit record doesn't get marked "made minimum payment only".
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    lol at you people, this didnt really happen, anything to fill a gap in the blog, must be a slow news day at MSE towers :p
  • Nice article....I like it.
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always travel with my laptop, and am often moving from location to location throughout the working day, so I do a lot of work in wireless-enabled coffee shops. This particular time I’d sat at the empty space on a table with a woman and her friend.

I can't be the only one who would be annoyed if a stranger came and did that whilst in a coffee shop? On a train sure, no problem, but I have never witnessed that at a coffee shop before?
  • robt wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who would be annoyed if a stranger came and did that whilst in a coffee shop? On a train sure, no problem, but I have never witnessed that at a coffee shop before?

So disagree! I often sit at tables with strangers and have some good conversations. Are people in cities not friendly?
  • bigbloke45
    bigbloke45 Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Martin, you'll do anything to pull a bird! :rotfl:
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    robt wrote: »

Sorry you misunderstand it was actually a long table, in a bar like sense where each seat is set up for an individual to sit on
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Sorry you misunderstand it was actually a long table, in a bar like sense where each seat is set up for an individual to sit on

Ah right, makes more sense now.

I had visions of you pulling up a chair around an occupied small table :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family