Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Can you grow a rowan tree in a pot?

Hi there,

I am have ordered a free rowan tree from the velvet tissue offer and think they are beautiful trees, but just wondering is it possible to grow these in a big pot, or is this not a good idea.

If not i will recycle it on freecycle but i would love one just not got the space for a large tree, they can grow quite big can't they?

As you can tell i'm not a hardy gardener but i'm learning :)

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• DKLSDKLS Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes you can I have a number of trees in pots including a rowan to be used as portable screening.

My suggestion is use a good quality soil, throw in a handful of water granules and feed, and if you can sit the pot on a tray as they can get very thirsty in a pot and it should be fine.
  • westieawestiea Forumite
    430 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes is the short answer, however they will require a bit of care!

As the root spread is limited in a pot, the tree is effectively 'Bonsai' so it will not grow as tall as if it was in the ground.

You will need a good soil based compost (John Innes no3 or/and a mix of your own homemade if you have it).
    It will require watering and feeding regularly (liquid or slow release fertiliser), through its growing season (spring/summer).
    It is advisable to keep transplanting to a larger pot every few years if you can, if you want a reasonable size tree.
    Some top pruning may also need to be done if you do not want to transplant to a huge pot - just to keep it to a natural height and spread in line with e pot size. (do this in winter to reduce incidence of disease spreading)

They are very forgiving and beautiful trees - they grow halfway up mountains in nothing but scree in Scotland so I think you will have no problems!
    Greyer by the minute - Older by the hour - Wiser by the day
  • Thank you for your helpful replies and i am happy i can keep this tree, i will take good care of it with your suggestions x :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals