Tesco TV Purchase

in TV MoneySaving
6 replies 910 views
tony6403tony6403 Forumite
1.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I bought a TV with built in DVD player from Tesco.
It developed a serious fault after 8 months .
I took it back to the Tesco branch where I bought it . They would not accept it and told me to ring a helpline . After, at some length , expressing my displeasure at having to do this I was left with no choice but to comply.
So I rang the number given to me ( 4p per minute ) and was told to take 3 photographs of the TV screen showing the fault and to email them to an address provided.
I did this and waited for a response . In the absence of a response I rang again and was told to package the TV and that it will be collected on 1st September. The collection will be made between 9.00am to 6.00pm .
I will therefore be tied down on that day.
It will then take up to 10 days to repair or replace.
I asked what the procedure is for people who don't have a digital camera and an online PC.
The answer , wait for it , take it back to the shop.
Needless to say I will not be heading for Tesco the next time I want to buy an electrical product .
Forgotten but not gone.

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it's a Teknika?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tony6403tony6403 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    right first time!!
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're just no-name job-lots badged up for Tesco. No spares, no service. Cheap but not at all cheerful.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • VK-2008VK-2008 Forumite
    926 Posts
    what was the fault i think i have a similar tv and i got mine in feb time! im hoping it stays ok! fingers crossed

what about the 1 year guarantee?
    :A VK :A
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Tesco, as the retailer, are responsible for any repairs within the warranty period, not any manufacturer or their agents.

I would write a complaint to Tesco Head Office.
  • tony6403tony6403 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The fault was with the screen . The bottom part ( about two inches ) stopped displaying the pic. Instead it appeared rather like an elongated bar code.
    The store insisted that they would not take the TV back directly. I protested and asked to talk to the manager - I don't think that the person who was delegated to see me was a senior manager.
    She told me that I would have to ring an 08 number to resolve the matter.
    I complained to the Office of Fair Trading who said that whilst this was perhaps not the best customer service Tesco were within their rights to act in this way.
    We stayed at home today to await collection . This was done at 2.30pm so a large part of the day was gone before we could get on with other things.
    We must now wait for the repair to be sorted and , possibly, have to set aside another complete day for its return.

I am amazed that Tesco has such an appalling system for dealing with faulty goods.
    Forgotten but not gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides