High chair advice please

Options
Have posted this in I-wanna-buy-it-or-do-I too!!

High Chairs - advice please!

Oh no, just when I thought I was getting a break from the mind boggling selection of baby gear, I am faced with another decision! I was still congratulating myself on managing to finally get my head round the endless options available in the pushchair and accompanying paraphernalia
market!

Anyway, we are coming to a point where pumpkin pants will soon need a high chair (well two actually, one for my ma's and one for at home). I have £150 Boots points collected and am planning on spending some of them on said highchairs (although thought of actually spending them after eons of accumulating them is nearly killing me!).

So, as it is Boots choices are limited. I am thinking of going for either the Chicco Polly Highchair-Seventy (funky!) or the Chicco Happy Snacker.

Does anybody have any good or bad things to tell me about either of them? Or has anybody any other personal recommendations? Bearing in mind it really needs to be from Boots. Oh and my Ma would prefer something small and compact for occasional use!

Thanks

Comments

• joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As somebody whos just spent about 3/4 hour cleaning my highchair I would suggest you get the simplest with the least nooks and crannies. Also if I were you i would ask on freecycle for one for your mums instead of paying out for 2.
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    There is so little difference, I would say purchase both, and keep the one you are happiest with and give the other to your mum.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Options
    ikea do one for £11 ish ! plain white,ideal for occasional use at your mums ?

for home i went for the chicco mamma ,reclining one ,it was fab and was used from early weaning / bottle feeding
  • Rachie_B
    Options
    joannasmum wrote:
    As somebody whos just spent about 3/4 hour cleaning my highchair I would suggest you get the simplest with the least nooks and crannies. Also if I were you i would ask on freecycle for one for your mums instead of paying out for 2.

i used to hose or jet wash it down in the back garden :o :rotfl:
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    I agree with getting a second hand one for mother's (for you as well really) when babies grow out of them they are just in the way and people want rid of them quickly.
  • funky-footprints
    Options
    from my experience avoid a wooden one !! and clean it after every meal rather than leaving it till end of day !!
  • bumpybecky
    Options
    having had one of those padded, multi height, flipping over tray jobbies, adn also one of the fold up booster ones that strap to a normal chair - go for the plain ikea one!

Joanna's mum is right - the most (only?) important thing is how easy is it to clean

the ikea one is brilliant, very easy to keep clean, no grooves, nooks, crannys etc and the tray completely removes to clean. It's £15 I think with the tray and is dd3's only high chair. The legs come off for easier storage is that helps at your Mums :)
  • Sazere
    Sazere Posts: 789 Forumite
    Options
    I've used one of the cube type wooden highchairs that can be used as a low chair with the highchair tray, or a normal highchair, or a low chair and wooden table. But it was a pain to keep clean and twice my eldest boy managed to tip it over when it was set up as a highchair (he was only about 9months old at the time and it frightened the life out of my mum who used to look after him whilst I was at work).

For DS2 my m-i-l bought a Chicco Mamma highchair and this has been fab, still in use for DD1 and will no doubt get used for DD2 who is due next month. My only complaint is that it can be awkward to clean, and often I strip it all down and scrub it like mad only to discover 1/2 hour later that I missed abit in the tilt/tip mechanism where the seat reclines. But having the reclining seat is very useful.

Having said that I do like the look of the Stokke chairs that extend to last til children are older but can't justify the expense!
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    We had an expensive chicco mama highchair for DD which is now in use for DS but it gets filthy and is almost impossible to get thoroughly clean, and even though he's nearly nine months I still haven't used it with the tray as it's so high up. Can't wait till he stops using it and I'm personally going to take an axe to it in the garden.

Given the choice again I would have gone for the IKEA one as we used it afew weeks ago in the cafe when we went there and it was great. Sometimes less is more.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • Rachie_B
    Options
    Sazere wrote:
    For DS2 my m-i-l bought a Chicco Mamma highchair and this has been fab, still in use for DD1 and will no doubt get used for DD2 who is due next month. My only complaint is that it can be awkward to clean, and often I strip it all down and scrub it like mad only to discover 1/2 hour later that I missed abit in the tilt/tip mechanism where the seat reclines. But having the reclining seat is very useful.

!

i used it for my son from 3 months - just over 2 yrs ,then passed it onto my sister for my nephew to use and it still looks like new,he is now 3

my niece will shortly be using it too lol

it can be a b@gger to clean but like i said i just used to scrub it and hose it down in the garden ,if it was a dry day :beer: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure