Pregnancy and babies

Options
Yes - it's yet another request for moneysaving pregnancy and baby tips :D
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• bumpybecky
    Options
    congratulations :)

my top two tips would be breastfeeding and cloth nappies :) sure more will follow.....
  • elljay20
    elljay20 Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    buy sleepsuits from second hand shops and just use them at home. They REALLY go through them quickly in the first 3 6 months. Also i bought a lot on ebay and sold it on there as well when i'd done with it. The best two items i bought were a blow up play ring which was really useful and i don't know if you've seen em but a bumbo. It was fantastic and i used mine every day. Look on ebay for a breast pump so you can express and freeze you're milk i used the avent one and it was very good. Nappy sacks you can buy from places like savers at about a hundred for £1. i stocked up when i was pregnant and have never bought any since!! (shes 2). Oh and maybe a travel system instead of a seperate pram and can seat. Mine was invaluble and meant i wasn't waking dd up evertime i put her in and out of the car. I'm sure you'll get much more sensible advice from other msn'ers as mine isn't really very money saving is it?!!
    Congratulations by the way
    :p It is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    :D :j :j what you trying to tell us? :j :j :D
    :D :T :D :T
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations :D

My top tip is definitely breastfeeding - both moneysaving-wise and everything-else-wise. That, and using second-hand big stuff. :)

Oh, and getting maternity stuff from Asda or H&M, although apparently New Look are doing maternity stuff too.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!

Don't bother with a baby bath just get a cheap washing up bowl and use that - much lighter to carry with water in. DD had a big baby bath and screamed every time she was bathed, however DS had a bowl and loved his baths, I think because it was smaller and he felt safer. And of course it can be used for.... washing up when baby is older.

If you don't go with cloth nappies then I tend to be a nappy tart and buy whatever is on special offer, the same with wipes (unless of course you go with good old water and cotton wool).

If you're bottle feeding just use a flask to warm a night feed rather than buy a bottle warmer. Also if you're bottle feeding go for cheap bottles and latex teats from Wilkinson (my midwife's tip - she was seriously anti-Avent).

And I think it's a good idea to get things like baby gyms, bouncers, that sort of thing second hand as you may spend a fortune only to find that baby doesn't like it. For instance DD loved her bouncy chair, spent loads of time in it, whereas DS hated it.

Jxxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    pandas66 wrote:
    :D :j :j what you trying to tell us? :j :j :D

:D :T :D :T
    What do you think? :confused::D :j :D

Actually I've got baby stuff up the loft left off when mine two were little. Will have to get up and see what's up there.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • bumpybecky
    Options
    no no no! send hubby up the ladder - you sit down, put feet up and eat chocolate :) you've obviously forgotten about the pregnancy 'get out of nasty jobs' card! ;)
  • georgeyoggy
    Options
    def breastfeeding, cloth nappies are brill too, also dr brown bottles, although dear I only bought 4 ( b/f till 6mth ) and that was all I needed!
    congratulations :beer:
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    These are my tips:

1. Buy second-hand clothes - the baby grows out of them in about 2 weeks!
    2. Don't buy a baby bath - wash baby in the sink as you won't wreck your back that way and you don't have to ferry water back and forth.
    3. Buy a pair of mothercare jeans for pregnancy (or another brand with stretchy waistband) - can adjust as you get bigger.
    4. Don't buy a big baby change mat - buy the travel one from mothercare for £1.99 and you can use it everywhere, or some sort of thick plastic sheeting would do. I don't use the big one I bought at all.
    5. Don't buy one of those huge travel systems - everyone who bought one is complaining about the weight to get it into the car. I got two separate pieces - the mothercare baby seat and mothercare Atlan pram which I'm very happy with. The pram is light and will do for quite a while and can be used from birth. I end up leaving the baby seat in the car as it is such a hassle doing the seatbelt up on it each time. It's easier to just put the baby in and out.
    6. Breastfeeding is much less hassle than bottles - no sterilising, having to heat it up when you're out and it's free!!
    7. Buy a baby sleeping bag if your baby kicks the bedclothes off all the time. My baby hasn't used the blankets at all.
    8. Buy a vibrating bouncer as it helps them to get to sleep.
    9. Don't buy baby bath, lotion etc. use olive oil as it's better for their skin and just use plain water and if necessary perfume free soap.
    10. Don't buy a breast pump until you know whether the baby will take a bottle - mine refuses. You could try some cool boiled water first to see or hand express some milk ( the midwives teach you how).

The best purchase I think was the Kodak digital camera and printer which was £100. I now have probably a hundred photos but can print the ones I like to give to relatives etc.
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    best tip i can offer is buy a load of value face cloths, i keep these in the drawer and instead of using baby wipes for after mealtimes etc i use these. i also take one out with me.

my second child has loads of hand me downs, in fact i've hardly had to buy her anything!
    Give blood - its free
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport