September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 8:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Declaring tonight, even though tomorrow is still part of this months budget.

I only ever do grocery shopping in the mornings if I desperately need something (such as milk), but I've no need for anything for a few days yet. The other spends are Whoopsies either as I leave work or if I go back down for final reductions - but as I'm doing holiday cover tomorrow night this means I'm actually doing the reductions and I'm not allowed to shop while clocked in...... so no chance for Whoopsie temptation to kick in ;)

The budget I originally set for September was £68, but as DS moved out for Uni a few days earlier than I'd anticipated this came down to £63 in my spreadsheet. Of that I've transferred £12 to my 'stock pile fund', this being the value of the goods I had in pre 01/01/2010 that I've used this month. So I had £51 left to spend, and of this I've spent £50.90 - so a close call, but I've scraped in under budget :T (First time since July I've been under budget)

Unfortunately I'm still £49.10 overspent on my 'year to date' budget - so (with just £156 of my annual budget left) I'm going to have to come in seriously under budget (including what I used from my older stock piles) for Oct, Nov & Dec to claw that back :eek:
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • carolinerunnercarolinerunner Forumite
    630 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Well done everyone!

OK, am declaring for the month on £600.05. Feel we have changed a lot to achieve that, and the fact that the milkman came and asked for nearly £14 on top of that is really annoying so October starts now! Just ordered a huge (£100) Ocad* shop with 15% off, will try to cook in threes and have planned the whole month's menus so am hoping it will make a big difference in time and money.

Mrs M, please can you put me down for £600 again for Oct, many thanks!
    Erratically money saving
  • Souk08Souk08 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I did it! Just under my £50 tgt this month at £49.02. Dead chuffed! X
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • £1.96 today in Aldi on 4pts milk, a cabbage, a cauliflower and a bag of parsnips (again, I really have to stop buying things because they're on offer! I will have to freeze these, but I don't have much space at the moment so will sort them out in the next few days!)

Just under my target of £60.00 with a total of £59.84 for the month. I won't be buying anything tomorrow as don't need anything. We are going out for lunch at work as it's my last day (unless something drastic happens) but that won't be included :)
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • jackieglasgowjackieglasgow Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Declaring at a scary £231.12 I'm not quite sure how that happened. Purse strings are well and truly pulled this month though, I am off to check my stores and do a mealplan and my big shop for October. I've even managed to run out of rice this month! I never run out of rice, I really need to kick my backside.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • WinchelseaWinchelsea Forumite
    693 posts
    ✭✭
    Well done everyone else for September - pretty good results I reckon!

I've been very lucky this month. Have had loads of fruit, veg and preserves given to me by friends and daughters with gluts! And, I've been living a lot on storecupboard and fridge hoards. Consequently, I am very pleased and proud to announce that I've spent only £26.38 of £60.00!!
    so still have £33.62 left in my purse!

I do have S/Os for milk and organic veg (both delivered) which are just under £40 between them, but that still only brings it up to £66.38 out of £100.

The left over change can go in my sealed pot without being missed!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    hi,gone over agan by £24.31...so i am declaring £324.31 for september.:(
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • I'm going to declare now at £257.98 so I don't spend any more money before 12am! Also declaring today a NSD which means I have met both my targets by the skin of my teeth! So chuffed as it's my first month but it has been tight for the last week. The extra Friday (box delivery day) means next month will be a lot harder so I need to start planning now.
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • declaring £340 for September please.

Was £40 over but I knew it would be a big stetch as the previous month i spent £500+. So still a hige improvement. Also I stocked up on loads of nappies and wipes on Saisnburys baby event which will last me ages.
    Happy days
  • I lost track again - oops! Never mind. ONwards and upwards. No hols or weekends away in October...

Teacher did always write 'must try harder' on my school reports :)
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...