Working back gross pay from net pay

Options
My husband and I started our own business, and took over an event that was previously owned by relatives (it seemed a shame to let it die off).

So with that, we've inherited site staff that were given a net sum of £8.00 ph in their hand, and the accountant would work back the gross figure and the HMRC amounts that were due.

There was more than one occasion when their accountant pointed out that was a time consuming, expensive and complicated way to do it, and they ought to have a gross wage, and then the net would be more easily worked out, however, it's not how it happened.

Now I'm in the position of doing payroll for the first time, and the same situation is occurring. We do have an accountant but he doesn't do payroll (and won't be our accountant for much longer as he is never available to ask these questions of).

Can anyone help me on what I should be doing? I am happy to buy a software package if necessary, but really need some advice on working back gross pay from net pay.
Saving up £25000/£3500 by Jan 1st 2012 by selling my clutter. Remember I'm doing it for Dad.
Textiles, languages, travel and a lovely home are not stupid things to want. You have immediate family's support.Appreciate what I've achieved so far. Other people's opinion of me is none of my business.

Comments

• Gertie_Walker
    Options
    It would help to know the weekly or monthly totals paid to each person and their code numbers.
  • theesel1994
    Options
    sockdrawer wrote: »
    I am happy to buy a software package if necessary, but really need some advice on working back gross pay from net pay.
    Payroll Manager will do the job (net pay to gross pay) easily for you.
    You can download a free trial of the program (lasts a month I think).
    Will also do all the other PAYE stuff for you as well (calculating the amounts to pay to them each month, P60 at end of year, online submission of yearly forms).

http://www.moneysoft.co.uk/pm_intro.htm
    AT 1st SEPTEMBER 2009
    CASH......£ 321.41...
    BANK.....£ 625.75
    C-CARD...£ 5101.85...ISA......£ 120.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5500.00

AT 31st OCTOBER 2009
    CASH......£
    . 50.23...BANK.....£ 723.12
    C-CARD...£ 3818.67...ISA......£. 80.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5380.00
  • sockdrawer
    sockdrawer Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    It would help to know the weekly or monthly totals paid to each person and their code numbers.

The tax codes are 764L and the weekly totals vary as they are paid by the hour. As I say £8.00 net, hours vary between 24 a week to 40 hours a week depending on the person working (some only work at the event, others set up and take down the event hence the longer hours)
    Does that help?
    Saving up £25000/£3500 by Jan 1st 2012 by selling my clutter. Remember I'm doing it for Dad.
    Textiles, languages, travel and a lovely home are not stupid things to want. You have immediate family's support.Appreciate what I've achieved so far. Other people's opinion of me is none of my business.
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    I don't know why your accountant found this time-consuming as many payroll packages do this with just a couple of clicks - I do payroll for one company where some of the workers are paid net and use Calcpay as the payroll programme - you can bring up a "net to gross" screen on this. As above, it's a free download, you could enter some sample employee details and work it out
  • Gertie_Walker
    Options
    I doubt whether code 764L is correct - you need to claify this for each person before you go any further.
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Can't you just change their pay rates to state a gross figure? I know there are sometimes TUPE considerations so check the legalities carefully but if that isn't an issue perhaps it is time to show some authority now you are in charge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure