IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine no return in 2 hours!

chokolat2
chokolat2 Posts: 438 Forumite
edited 28 August 2010 at 8:12PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi everyone.
MY OH got a letter through the post today about a parking fine where we parked the car not long ago by a PC world (and some other shops such as Comet and Currys)
However, the car park states that you can only park there for 2 hours only (there are no pay machines, even if you wanted to stay longer)
BUT, we did not even stay the 2 hours!!! :mad: Yet we get this letter as a parking fine..stating we stayed over 2 hours!

What can we do ?? I dont think we should be paying for something we didn't even do !

UPDATED : post #13 scanned pic of letter

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As this was presumably a private car-park you do nothing. You don't owe them a penny. Ignore all correspondence from the company and do not contact them. Could you tell us who the parking company is, as we like to name and shame on here. And it's not a "fine", it's an invoice.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Bin it as it's not legally enforcible
  • Write back for a copy of the documentary evidence you were there. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have a right to see this upon request. they must send it within 40 days to comply.

Quote in your letter you were not there at all and fear car cloning which is a genuine possibility.

Normall, a reasonable inquiry/confrontation will result in a successful resolution in this sort of matter.
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • chokolat2
    It was the St Johns retail Park in Wolverhampton.
    However, I will see the actual letter which my OH will show me tonight, and will post exactly what it says, on here.
    Many thanks everyone for your replies.
  • trisontana
    Write back for a copy of the documentary evidence you were there. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have a right to see this upon request. they must send it within 40 days to comply.

Quote in your letter you were not there at all and fear car cloning which is a genuine possibility.

Normall, a reasonable inquiry/confrontation will result in a successful resolution in this sort of matter.

An even better idea is just to ignore them, as there is nothing to "resolve".
  • chokolat2
    However, does anyone know how I can find out for sure, whether it is a private or public car park?
    I mean, as I understand it, it seems as a private car park, but would like to know for sure. thanks
  • trisontana
    chokolat2 wrote: »
    However, does anyone know how I can find out for sure, whether it is a private or public car park?
    I mean, as I understand it, it seems as a private car park, but would like to know for sure. thanks

Have a look at the letter, that will show you. But it sounds like a bog-standard retail park looked after by a private parking company.
  • chokolat2
    Ok thanks, will update as soon as I seen the letter.
  • Tell you what I'll give you my advice for half the price they want off you.

IGNORE everything they send you and DO NOT contact them.

Can you tell me what the cost of the fine was and I will send you an invoice for the cost of my advice. How's that, good deal or what and just as much legitimacy. :rotfl:
  • trisontana
    edited 28 August 2010 at 8:46PM
    After a bit of detective work I have found out that the park is looked after by our old friend OPC. So it is a private car-park and can be ignored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure