PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London areas - where to buy?

Options

Comments

• daisydays
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    You could probably get a houseboat for £100k or a small studio in a dodgy area.

The last time there was a fall in house prices, the rougher parts of London were worst hit, from memory at least. In fact I think one bedroom flats in Streatham (Saint Reatham) were the worst hit of all. At least that was where most of the sob-stories came from.

Don't houseboats depreciate in value? I know other baots do and you also have mooring fees and so on. My friend had a friend who lived on houseboat and she said they had rats visiting and all sorts and it was so cold on there. You are correct about Streatham, it did become a dump but many many years ago it was wery posh! Posher than neighbouring Balham Clapham and Brixton would you believe! How times change.
  • jozbo
    jozbo Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2010 at 11:51AM
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    OK, I will probably get shot down but Woolwich is on the up - it has had a bad reputation for a long time but then so did Rotherhithe and Hackney which are now well out of your budget. Also, it is next along from the always fashionable very expensive Greenwich and as we know Kirsty and Phil say, the smart money buys the next area to the currently very expensive.:)
    I'm with you on this one. Woolwich is a lot like Hackney used to be 20 odd years back. Plus if you travel 15 mins from Woolwich to Plumstead and borders of Welling or Abbey Wood it's all Victorian terraces, small shops. Area around Plumstead common is pretty dead but it can only go up - and has a nice villagey feel - just begging for a few chichi coffee shops.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 15 September 2010 at 11:15AM
    Options
    I just hope they dont close the pie and mash shop there :) Thats my occasional treat when I go to London. My son bought a 2 bed/2bath riverside flat there Dec 2008 (it was a repo) and everyone said he is mad, prices will drop dreadful area. The flat opposite his recently sold for £90k more than he paid.

Things are changing there every week. I really do hope it eventually becomes as nice as Greenwich as it has some fab buildings, really gorgeous. When I was a kid, people used to travel there from all over south east london and east london because of the shopping facilities. And then everything just seem to fall apart and it became a real dive to be avoided. (Just remembered - I saw the Beatles there in 1964 - elder sister reluctantly took me with her mates and I got lost in the huge crowd outside as we waited for the Beatles to come outof the theatre after the show -lol sister was frantic)

Yes, as someone said, how times change. In the 18th and 19th centuries, you were someone if you lived in Deptford Rotherhithe or Woolwich - a lot of wealthy people connected with shipping and ship building. (I do know as my GGPx4 were very comfortably off and lived in Deptford)
  • Hi All,
    My partner and I are currently looking to buy in London, but, like itgirlinuk, we are struggling on areas. Based on conversations with friends who have been raised here, the areas mentioned as safe / upcoming are Dulwich, Peckham Rye, Honour Oak Park, Nunhead, Forest Hill and Ladywell. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, Victorian style terrace and my budget is around £350,000. We both work in the city so would be looking for a commute of no longer then 15-20mins if possible. It would be great to get some insight from people here about areas conserved upcoming and within the catchment mentioned above.

Thanks,
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can you start your own thread please? This one's already a mile long, and a year and half old!

Cheers,

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not allowed to advertise, sorry. Please delete.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Amelia22brown
    Options
    In line with people’s expectations, London Square that includes Wycombe Square, Kensington, and Chelsea have emerged as clear leaders of the pack when it comes to expensive properties with an average rate of £5.4 million.

Recently residential property in Wales has increased, especially in Druid stone Road, in the Old St. Melons area of Cardiff. As the property market seems to be increasing and hopes that it will be a much more fruitful for buyers, there is a list of the 20 most expensive streets in Britain, at Plazaestates website, that also shows the cost of properties in that area.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dean100_2
    Options
    Personally dont listen to people who say "dont live South or dont live North". What I did is a few months of research, get a decent guide book, get out and explore.
    Also, remember that a lot of places that may not have been popular a few years ago may now be seen as very desirable. I live in SE1 and when I moved there a few years ago the renaissance was only just beginning but now One Tower Bridge development for example is not outperforming some developments in Chelsea.
    Look for new tube lines and keep an open mind- decide yourself buy going and looking. Here are my favourites but remember thats only me- you decide...Borough, Bermondsey, Clapham,Duwich, Forest Hill, Rotherhithe,Hampstead,Islington,Chelsea,Fulham,St Johns Wood, Richmond, Wapping, Canary Wharf, Putney, Highgate,
    Kennington,Notting Hill, Holland Park,Marylebone,Shoreditch,Tufnell Park, Chiswick- all real mixture of areas and not all expensive
  • Cherry_Pie_2
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread! I've been living in London around 11 years now. Love the Shepherds Bush area, but sadly a bit out of my price range for buying a house. Been looking at White City. Know the reputation was rubbish a few years ago, but there seems to be a lot of private buyers coming in now, and the crime stats balance out. Or should I still be steering clear of the place...? Anyone live in White City or know anything about it?
  • Fizzymartini
    Options
    Cherry_Pie wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread! I've been living in London around 11 years now. Love the Shepherds Bush area, but sadly a bit out of my price range for buying a house. Been looking at White City. Know the reputation was rubbish a few years ago, but there seems to be a lot of private buyers coming in now, and the crime stats balance out. Or should I still be steering clear of the place...? Anyone live in White City or know anything about it?

Hmm, I'd be a little wary. There was much talk of regeneration back when Westfield was being built, but White City seems to have resisted any signs of gentrification so far. The estates remain notorious, and that, combined with the flyover, doesn't make for the most attractive of places, which is why prices have remained low.

That said, of course, people will buy as they will. There's nothing in the pipeline to point towards much improvement in the near future (e.g. no crossrail stations, or imminent building plans), but who's to say what will change in a few years' time? You might find a gem. After all, every town can vary from street to street...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure