Hospital

Options
Hi,

I am going in hospital (providing they have a bed) in a couple of weeks for surgery. I'll be in for upto 10 days, and i want some cheap tips for passing the hours away. Will take a couple of books, but when i was in last year found it expensive, buying a paper every day, and paying for tv next to bed and all that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my surgery will involve a big scar across my tummy, any ideas for helping it to heal quicker etc wwould help too.

Thanks

Comments

• aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a personal stereo you could listen to ...or borrow one.

Do you have friends/family members you don't don't keep in touch with as often as you'd like? You could take some writing paper and catch up with them.

Get yourself a puzzle book, not expensive and will keep you occupied.

Good luck with your op :)
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hope it all goes well
    I spent over a week in hospital last year and a month in 2001 so I know what its like, and the temptation is to sleep just through sheer boredom.
    I found talking to the old ladies in the adjoining beds fascinating, but you cant always guarantee who will be there!
    Crossword puzzles, or things like take a break are good. Get people to bring you books when they visit. I was lucky as the wards i was on had books available and a tv room if u were up to walking.
    As for the scar, some aloe vera gel, but Im hesitant to give out medical advice, im sure the docs and nurses will advise you. After I had my kids i needed stitches and the midwife told me to put lavender oil and tea tree oil in the bath to help with healing. And rest, plenty of it ;D
    Best wishes to you, and your kids ;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May be worth asking friends or family to keep their magazines for a weeks for you and bring them when they come and visit, that way you have more reading material for less, I found magazines easier in hospital than books as you can read a bit without too much concentration.

Have you tried ebay for books? I got a book I really wanted for less than £2 it was a hardback copy too ;D

Argos have a cheap personal stereo reduced to £2.49 cat number 512/2062 (my links to argos never work :-/)

Thinking of you, mini
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your stay in hospital 160. It doesnt seem long since i was in there. I agree with Aussielle about taking some music in with you, however i used the hospital headphones as they were wonderful at keeping my neck straight after the surgery as i couldnt lie down.

As for the scar, well i have had a great deal of success with Vitamin E. I started using Wheatgerm (which is a natural source of vitamin E), about a month ago. You must make sure your wound is healed though first as you will be hampering the healing process. From an angry red wound it has got a lot lighter and paler. A few more weeks and i want to buy a gold chain which will sit on the scar completely.

When you come out of surgery, keep the wound dry, use a hairdryer on a warm but not hot setting it will help with the healing process.

Dont forget if you smoke, stop or at least cut down. I had an awful anaesthetic rattle for a good 2 weeks even though i dont smoke, it frightened the life out of me as i was afraid it would damage my very fragile voice box. Its been 14 or 15 weeks since i had my surgery, and i am still having problems with my sleep pattern too.

The best of wishes, and the biggest of hugs
  • aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    another thought, if you like reading, why not visit the library beforehand.....it's free

I know it's a bit early but as a busy mum it's a job less. How about passing an hour by making your xmas card and pressie list

take some handcream/nail file etc and give your hands a pampering session
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    I have used these sort of plasters to reduce scarring, but I think the wound has to be healed first...

http://www.boots.com/newsearch/search.jsp?searchArea=1&searchQuery=scar+reduction&uri=%2Fhome.jsp&classificationId=&contentId=&articleId=

I am another big believer in tea tree oil and lavender oil.
    Oh, I have also used Collagen gel from http://www.qvcuk.com

As for books - have you tried http://www.greenmetropolis.com/ - second hand books are all £3.75 for paperbacks, postage included.

Hope everything goes well for you.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a personal stero why not try the libriary for talking books?
    Also, my sister-in-law has just had a hysterectomy & was dreading her 11 days in hospital (they let her out after 8 in the end), much to her horror we bought her a copy of the first Harry Potter book which she gave in & read out of shear boredom, by the time she left she was upto book 3 & totally hooked! You're never too old for fairy tales!
    Hope all goes well for you ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definate with the tea tree and lavender oil for your wound. The antiseptic action of tea tree is believed to be one hundred times more powerful than carbolic acid – and yet is non toxic to humans.
    The lavender oil helps prevent scarring and the scent also has a relaxing effect.

EDIT TO SAY - although most oils should be mixed with a carrier oil, tea tree and lavender are two that can be applied neat directly onto skin and in the case of tea tree it is so safe it can be mixed with water and gargled with to help with sore throats. I used both these oils neat on my appendix scar which healed quicker and left less of a scar than usual.

Aloe Vera and Vitamin E are both good too.
    There is another product called BIO-OIL that has been reported to have excellent results but I haven't tried it myself.

As for passing the time - all the suggestions have been great. Are you any good at knitting? Special care baby wards are usually appreciative of tiny clothes for pre-term babies and if there's one in the hospital you're in it would be easy to pass them on.
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Why not visit hobby craft and get some stuff to make some birthday cards - which you could use yourself, or sell to make some dosh. Very MSE ;)

You will probabaly find that you are tired after the op and may not want to do anything too taxing.

I think aussielle's tip about a manicure is great idea - bet you haven't done that in while :).

Also its probably worth mentioning that on most surgical wards they do not allow flowers, just to warn your visitors.

I work in a hospital and here are some packing tips :)
    1. lipsalve.
    2. facial wipes.
    3. pj's that button up as if you are having problems with mobility then over the head ones can be tricky.
    4.Your own water - sometimes the jugs are not changed that often and its a bit of a hassle.
    5. Your own pillow - The hospital ones make your head sweaty as they have plastic cover for easy cleaning.

Also if you are thinking of getting the nurses a present when you leave - these are some different ideas to the norm ...... Hand cream, nice tea bags and coffee, money towards xmas do, quirky black pens (I work on a paeds ward and we just got some pink fluffy ones as a gift ;)). or just keep your ear out for things that the nurses can never seem to find - like tape measures or drinking beakers.

Hope it all goes well.
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for all the tips, i'll be using most of them. will be a big shock to have nothing to do, is a bit scary to think what to do to fill the hours. any other way i'd appreciate the time to myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure