Do I have to put all my equity ISA allowance into one fund?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
14 replies 1.3K views
LondonSaritaLondonSarita Forumite
20 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hello all

After ages of ummi-ing and aah-ing I have decided to take out an S&S ISA. I have done my research till it's coming out of my ears but there's so much I still don't understand.

Anyway I was looking at a list of tracker funds (passive investing is all my brain can handle at the moment) and HSBC's 250 Shares Index came up as a good one to put your money into.

My question is, would I have to put all my allowance in that fund, the same as you can only hold a cash ISA with one provider?

Also, if I set up a direct debit, would I be able to put in the odd lump sum when I can or does that vary with provider?

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so my apologies if those are dim questions.

Thanks

S

Replies

• blueberrypieblueberrypie Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My question is, would I have to put all my allowance in that fund, the same as you can only hold a cash ISA with one provider?

No, you can invest in any number of funds. Some providers have a minimum investment per fund, but it won't be anything near your full S&S ISA allowance.
    Also, if I set up a direct debit, would I be able to put in the odd lump sum when I can or does that vary with provider?

It varies with the provider - it should be clear on their website when you're signing up.
  • Great, thanks for that

I thought you could only invest in multiple funds if you were going for managed funds through a fund supermarket

Still got a lot to learn!

S
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you could only invest in multiple funds if you were going for managed funds through a fund supermarket

Its the ISA manager that matters. Its one ISA manager per tax year. However, you can use any investments offered by that ISA manager.

If you intend to use HSBC and not buy through a fund supermarket (why?) then you can only buy HSBC funds but you can buy multiple HSBC funds. A fund supermarket is logical though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Don't fund supermarkets just offer managed funds though?

I had looked into them but was put off as I just wanted a simple tracker with as low fees as possible
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You can get the HSBC fund via Hargreaves Lansdowne ............. if you wish.

Far more versatile than tying yourself to HSBC directly.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • That's great thank you.

S&S ISAs are like soap, I just think I've got a grip on them and they slip out of my hands again!
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to add - you can either put money into HL via Debit Card - or set up a regular saver facility. But worth knowing about the initial funding requirement :-
    HL_website wrote:
    Please note that the minimum lump sum investment for a new account is £1,000 if you are setting up regular savings into the ISA and £3,000 if you are not setting up regular savings into an ISA.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Oh, good point, thank you

Do you think it's a good idea to set one of these up as we're potentially on the brink of a double dip recession or do you prefer the adage that it's not when you join the market, but how long you're in it?

I suppose thought that if we all had the answer to that we'd be millionaires?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think it's a good idea to set one of these up as we're potentially on the brink of a double dip recession or do you prefer the adage that it's not when you join the market, but how long you're in it?

1 - no-one has a crystal ball
    2 - for every report saying one thing you will find another saying the opposite
    3 - accept the risk of the investment. If you cant then invest on a lower risk basis or not at all

What you want to invest in are higher risk investments (FTSE250 based on what you said earlier). Are you sure you have the risk profile for that?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Am willing to take a bit of a punt with some of my savings and see what happens. Fed up with it sitting in savings accounts and getting hardly any interest. I figured if I put it through fund supermarlket as advised I could put some in an all-shares tracker too
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals