Wine sales discussion

Options

Comments

• woofbrains
    woofbrains Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2011 at 12:17PM
    Options
    NEVER BUY HALF PRICE WINES FROM SUPERMARKETS - PLEASE READ

I felt compelled to register to use the forum for the first time to comment on this, and what I have to say is this:

I honestly cannot believe Martin Lewis has fallen for one of the biggest supermarket cons going. He might not be a wine drinker, but I would have expected him to be wise in the ways of their behaviour. I'm a huge fan of his work, and have had bank charge repaid thanks to his campaign, but I despair that he has not picked up on this yet.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to learn that big wine companies and supermarkets themselves take a bulk wine that normally sells for £5, use that bulk and bottle it under a different brand or a sub brand (special reserve, limited selection, superb bin etc) and set the retail price at £10. They then sell it for half price a few times a year or until all the bulk has gone. Its decent wine for £5, but it was never worth £10. The tragedy is that quite a lot of people buy these wines at full price when its not on offer.

Basically, supermarkets are laughing at you for being gullible and naive. They know you will all come rushing through the doors and stock up on the 'half price' wines so you can tell your friends when they come round "ooh Janet drink this it was half price" "ooh its gorgeous i'll call in tomorrow and buy some before its all gone".

The half price deals are now an important part of the big supermarkets' wine strategy. I know it's tempting, but you just need to adjust your BullSh!t detector to sniff out the lies.

Martin Lewis, please stop your free advertising for the supermarkets. You have taken your eye off the ball on this one.

We all complain about the price of vegetables and milk, well that's what's funding the 3 for £10 we are all so keen on. The best buys are usually £8.50 down to £6/6.50. Most people have a ceiling of £5, that's a great shame.

So once again...

NEVER EVER BUY HALF PRICE WINES FROM THE SUPERMARKET!!
  • woofbrains
    Options
    andycat wrote: »
    I agree, if you are not an 'aficionado' and just like a nice drinkable glass of wine then you cannot beat asda.
    Unfortunately their prices have shot up recently - in one week a bottle that cost £2 went up to £2.99!!!

Agree with the first point, however
    Considering duty alone on a bottle of wine is £1.81, before removing 20% VAT, what on earth have you been drinking for £2?! Remember to make wine; grapes have to be grown for a long time, harvested, crushed, fermented, bottled, labelled, stored, shipped, held, shipped again, distributed and stacked.

Even a bottle of £3 wine contains about 30p worth of wine at best. But if you're happy drinking it, then go for it.

Its funny how people will pay £15-20 in a restaurant for something that costs £4 with a fancy label on it (that's right, they're laughing at you too), but won't pay more than a £fiver for something they will enjoy at home on a Friday night.

My advice would be to buy the house wine in a restaurant and buy a good bottle from the supermarket
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    woofbrains wrote: »
    NEVER BUY HALF PRICE WINES FROM SUPERMARKETS - PLEASE READ

I felt compelled to register to use the forum for the first time to comment on this, and what I have to say is this:

I honestly cannot believe Martin Lewis has fallen for one of the biggest supermarket cons going. He might not be a wine drinker, but I would have expected him to be wise in the ways of their behaviour. I'm a huge fan of his work, and have had bank charge repaid thanks to his campaign, but I despair that he has not picked up on this yet.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to learn that big wine companies and supermarkets themselves take a bulk wine that normally sells for £5, use that bulk and bottle it under a different brand or a sub brand (special reserve, limited selection, superb bin etc) and set the retail price at £10. They then sell it for half price a few times a year or until all the bulk has gone. Its decent wine for £5, but it was never worth £10. The tragedy is that quite a lot of people buy these wines at full price when its not on offer.

Basically, supermarkets are laughing at you for being gullible and naive. They know you will all come rushing through the doors and stock up on the 'half price' wines so you can tell your friends when they come round "ooh Janet drink this it was half price" "ooh its gorgeous i'll call in tomorrow and buy some before its all gone".

The half price deals are now an important part of the big supermarkets' wine strategy. I know it's tempting, but you just need to adjust your BullSh!t detector to sniff out the lies.

Martin Lewis, please stop your free advertising for the supermarkets. You have taken your eye off the ball on this one.

We all complain about the price of vegetables and milk, well that's what's funding the 3 for £10 we are all so keen on. The best buys are usually £8.50 down to £6/6.50. Most people have a ceiling of £5, that's a great shame.

So once again...

NEVER EVER BUY HALF PRICE WINES FROM THE SUPERMARKET!!

nothing wrong with half priced wines, i used to work for a big retailer and they sold half priced wines alot at xmas, new years, in the summer etc
  • woofbrains
    Options
    Of course they did, its a great mechanic.

And with Martin Lewis pulling more punters in it will be here for a long time yet.

OGIO ros!/pinot g (tesco own brand) - has anyone ever seen it for £8.60? No, its always on gondola end for £4. Its half price though buy buy buy!!

There are some good deals at around 20-30% off though, it has to be said.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    Of course they did, its a great mechanic.

And with Martin Lewis pulling more punters in it will be here for a long time yet.

OGIO ros!/pinot g (tesco own brand) - has anyone ever seen it for £8.60? No, its always on gondola end for £4. Its half price though buy buy buy!!

There are some good deals at around 20-30% off though, it has to be said.

the retailers dont need martin lewis to increase sales

what on earth have you been sniffing,
  • woofbrains
    Options
    Why do they advertise then? To increase sales. Spend £millions on tv or get free access to a huge database of frantic moneysavers who will rush out and buy '50% off wine'.

Supermarkets will do almost anything to increase their profit and market share. Its a battleground out there, Tesco and Asda are in a fierce price war. Of course this free advertising is incredibly valuable to them, it's marketing GOLD!

I find your attitude baffling Sir. I've offered industry knowledge and facts, you've offered opinion. The company I work for makes a ton of money from half price deals and we laugh at you regularly (we honestly laugh at meetings) and pinch ourselves that it still works. Keep buying it and topping up my bonus at Christmas if you like. It just annoys me that Martin Lewis, who is the champion of us mere mortals, is being used as an instrument for a Supermarket.

The information is there for users to read. Ignore it or be wise to it.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Why do they advertise then? To increase sales. Spend £millions on tv or get free access to a huge database of frantic moneysavers who will rush out and buy '50% off wine'.

Supermarkets will do almost anything to increase their profit and market share. Its a battleground out there, Tesco and Asda are in a fierce price war. Of course this free advertising is incredibly valuable to them, it's marketing GOLD!

I find your attitude baffling Sir. I've offered industry knowledge and facts, you've offered opinion. The company I work for makes a ton of money from half price deals and we laugh at you regularly (we honestly laugh at meetings) and pinch ourselves that it still works. Keep buying it and topping up my bonus at Christmas if you like. It just annoys me that Martin Lewis, who is the champion of us mere mortals, is being used as an instrument for a Supermarket.

To be honest with you, I've always filed away supermarket half price wine offers in the same drawer as DFS's half price sofa offers. I'm happy to discover that my instinctive prejuduce actually has some factual basis.
  • DCFC79
    Options

so are you saying the brands of wine that are half price is also not decent stuff to drink,

and you know this for a fact ?
  • woofbrains
    Options
    Its decent wine for £5, but it was never worth £10.

Did you even read what I originally wrote?

The fact is that supermarkets sell £4/5 wine and pretend that its 50% off. I've given an example of Ogio, I could provide countless more. That was the point of my post. This is an issue of honesty and integrity, not wine snobbery.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 1 July 2011 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Where's Tesco's Booster points on wine offer gone?
    http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/buylist/default.aspx?No=20&name=Extra Clubcard Booster Points

Try this link instead (NB. MSE needs to change its links to this offer!)
    http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294963892
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure