May have done something very stupid. (posting a cheque)

Options
I posted a Cheque on friday, and i just read you should not send it other than in the form of recorded delivery. :o

i did it via 1st class, and im worried it might get in the wrong hands basically. im not sure how easy it is for someone to abuse the details on the cheque, and or how they could cash it without it being in their name but needless to say im a bit scared.

the bank told me to send it via cheque, but did not instruct me to send it in any particular way so i dont know what to think really.

will it be safe? anything i can do to ensure its safe arrival?

this day, just gets worse lol.

Comments

• kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry. It will be fine.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've posted loads of cheques over the years, none of them recorded delivery and none of them vanished.

If it's to open a savings account, they normally ask for cheques payable to yourself or bankname/yourself - if somebody nicks it, they'd have to open an account in your name (at the same bank if it's a bank/yourname cheque), deposit it, wait for it to clear, draw the cash out, scarper... which would take some time. Presumably you'll have some means of checking the arrival within the next week or so (account opened/settled)?

...long version of post #2 - very unlikely to go wrong.
  • life_nit
    life_nit Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    kingmonkey wrote: »
    Don't worry. It will be fine.

thanks, i feel relieved. just from you saying that. :)
  • life_nit
    Options
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    I've posted loads of cheques over the years, none of them recorded delivery and none of them vanished.

If it's to open a savings account, they normally ask for cheques payable to yourself or bankname/yourself - if somebody nicks it, they'd have to open an account in your name (at the same bank if it's a bank/yourname cheque), deposit it, wait for it to clear, draw the cash out, scarper... which would take some time. Presumably you'll have some means of checking the arrival within the next week or so (account opened/settled)?

...long version of post #2 - very unlikely to go wrong.

Hi thanks, so much for your response, my main reason for concern was from reading this article, but you make perfect sense about the time factor.

I did not think about the time involved it would take someone to fraudulently do this. Yes im opening an account, with a bank i have not used before. yeah i will contact them tomorrow to check its arrival, and if its not there, i will check the next day. And if its still not arrived, is it possible to prevent any cheque from being transacted?

i don't know anything about the workings of this kind of theft, but i would assume its impossible for anyone to cash the cheque by erasing the details on it, without leaving a trace on the cheque itself? so the only thing the could possibly do that's not guaranteed would be to open up an account in my name, and then withdraw it then?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    life_nit wrote: »
    I posted a Cheque on friday, and i just read you should not send it other than in the form of recorded delivery. .

Nobody ever sends cheques by recorded delivery. There is simply no need to do so. The article you mention is an extreme case.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Did you read the first part a of the article?
    "Millions of cheques are sent through the post every day without a hitch."

People seem not to be happy unless they are worrying about something!
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In addition they were moving house, how long was it before they noticed?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Sceptic001
    Sceptic001 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    The only time I ever sent a cheque by recorded delivery (so I could confirm date of delivery without having to phone the bank concerned), Royal Mail failed to record delivery and showed the item as "in their system" several days after they had actually delivered it! They sent me a book of stamps by way of apology.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Recorded Delivery post is actually shipped in the same mail bags as 1st class post. It isn't handled any differently until delivery, when a signature may be obtained (if you are lucky). As the cheque has no value itself, Royal Mail will pay the minimum compensation of 6x 1st class stamps if lost. You can claim this whether sent Recorded or not (although a free certificate of posting is needed).
  • life_nit
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Did you read the first part a of the article?
    "Millions of cheques are sent through the post every day without a hitch."

People seem not to be happy unless they are worrying about something!

Yes, i did read the entire article. From my experience in life, there is nothing wrong with being over cautious with finances, no matter what the unlikelihood of a scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure