A new section in Discussion Time - "Benefit Time"

Murphy_The_Cat
Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 23 August 2010 at 6:21PM in Site feedback
I originally made this post on Friday night, thought better of it, deleted and then rereconsidered the original post.

DT is currently being taken over by Benefit related Discussions (there are currently 5 threads saying broadly the samething on page #1), that go nowhere, never conclude and have the same things repeated ad nauseam (by both 'sides of the fence').

Its tiresome, boring, repetitive trite trash, where the sole purpose seems to be to denigrate the other posters as often as possible, in other words, it adds absolutely nothing to DT and, IMO, takes a great deal away.
Would it be possible to add a Sub Section to DT and call it something like 'Benefit Time - vent your spleen to your hearts content'. That way, DT can return to its core purpose, and the the sub section can have people squabbling and falling out as much as they obviously like to do.

p.s. please don't confuse this thread with the other Benefit related threads that appear on MSE, I'm just referring to the ones that plague DT.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I liked your idea!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    If your idea is a flying car then I'm in! :D
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Good idea Murph, but can't see it happening.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    I've suggested the same thing many times before Murphy but it's never happened :(

It can be done though, it was done over on the House-prices board where they started a new to include a debate on the economy.
  • althestan
    althestan Posts: 364 Forumite
    Could not really give ATOS really.

What does subliminal mean?
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    I liked your idea!

.....so do I!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't even think it should be in discussion time - couldn't you just have a 'Benefits bashing' subforum in the benefits section? Any threads which descend into the inevitable by the usual suspects would be shoved in there and no-one would be subjected to having to thread through the repetitive dross.

I wonder, if one were to bump all the benefit bashing threads up to a month old how many pages would they take up?!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    loracan1 wrote: »
    I wonder, if one were to bump all the benefit bashing threads up to a month old how many pages would they take up?!

A lot of them aren't benefit bashing, but it seems to be a subject that people can't discuss without getting ridiculously upset and personally insulting about.

I also get the distinct impression that DT is the toilet to which all of the Benefits related discussions get flushed to.
    It would be nice if they could get flushed to their own Sub-Section:beer:
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A lot of them aren't benefit bashing,

Some start as perfectly reasonable threads and stay that way for at least a page.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    loracan1 wrote: »
    I don't even think it should be in discussion time - couldn't you just have a 'Benefits bashing' subforum in the benefits section? Any threads which descend into the inevitable by the usual suspects would be shoved in there and no-one would be subjected to having to thread through the repetitive dross.

The problem with having the sub forum attached to the Benefits board is that people who join the site specifically to ask for advice may see the sub forum and be scared off. It would be the equivalent of putting a Bankruptcy Bashing sub forum on the BR board.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport