We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sold a bike, broke down

Hi

I sold a motorbike recently on ebay, which I stated had been off road for five years. The bike went straight through its mot, and had no reason to think there was anything wrong with it
Now the person who bought it is claiming that it broke down on the way home (he bought it without test driving it first). Now he wants money towards the cost of repair, not too sure where I stand legally with this or what I should tell him.


T.
«13

Comments

  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Private sale through Ebay, as long as the bike was as described and you are not a trader then he has no hope or bob hope.

    Anybody that expects a bike that has been laid up for a while to be trouble free is an optimist, the MOT means nothing as far as reliability goes, simply a test of certain things to ascertain roadworthiness (is that the right spelling?).

    As a wiseman once said, private sale, buyer beware.
  • droodle
    droodle Posts: 22 Forumite
    Im pretty sure all private sales are 'Sold as seen'. He had the opportunity to view/test the bike and obviously didn't so its his fault as far as i can see. If i had purchased a bike or car without looking it over/test driving it and it broke down then i would see it as my own fault! If you want reassurance you buy from a trader and pay trader prices.
  • mambo69
    mambo69 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Just tell him to jog on
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    No comeback, so don't worry.

    What does he expect from a vehicle that hasn't ran for 5 years, regardless if it's a bike or car?
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I certainly would not have attempted to ride home a bike, (assuming he came a distance), that had been laid up for that length of time, the tyres alone would have been my worry, mot or not

    If it was as described there is no issue. ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • msmyth18
    msmyth18 Posts: 156 Forumite
    I brought a bike also on ebay which broke down 15 miles away from the guys house, the guy picked me up and gave me my money back- and droped me to the train station.

    How long has it been since you sold it to him contacting you? That said its not really your problem, if it broke down immediately then that would be different... but the next day/ week it doesnt matter
  • Was the same day. Bike broke down about 80 miles into his journey home.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    He expected a bike that's sat for 5years to last an 80+ mile journey home???
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    I would not offer any refund as you presumably offered no guarantee.

    Too late now but it is a good idea to make out a bill of sale for both parties to sign stating that the vehicle is sold as is and has been inspected and accepted by the buyer.

    Quite likely that this is a minor fault due to old petrol in the fueling system or corrosion on electrical contacts.
  • First of all I would like to apologiese to anyone who may think this will result in a forum arguement, I assure you it wont as this will be my only post (i hope) on this thread.

    Now then Terry lets be honest about this.......

    First off the bike only made it 15 miles before breaking down not 80 miles...

    Secondly the item was not as decribed and there is proof of this...

    I can not beleive this is the 'legal advise' you told me you got....

    I tried to be reasonable with this but you have not only lied on the ebay description but on this forum as well... WHY?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.