A new wave of 'help' requests

Options

Comments

• Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    Options
    I think this thread is descending into arguments here.

I think the point everyone is trying to say is that debt repayment is a long, arduous, but ultimately fulfilling path, and that todays climate of "we can tell you how to clear off 90% of your debt so you dont have to pay" adverts dont help peoples expectations.

Kudos to every person who signs up here and has the courage to post there SOA, the only hope i have is that everyone follows some of the good advice given
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Kevicho wrote:
    I think this thread is descending into arguments here.

I think the point everyone is trying to say is that debt repayment is a long, arduous, but ultimately fulfilling path, and that todays climate of "we can tell you how to clear off 90% of your debt so you dont have to pay" adverts dont help peoples expectations.

Kudos to every person who signs up here and has the courage to post there SOA, the only hope i have is that everyone follows some of the good advice given

Yeah... what Kev said, spot on! ^^^^

I don't think there's an argument really... things did seem to get a bit negative towards new posters and I was trying to put across the other side. It must take so much courage to post all your details for public scrutiny (I wouldn't know :o ) so well done to everyone who does :T

Then comes the sometimes difficult bit of being open to advice and making big changes! :D
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • kafka_2
    Options
    I agree with both of you.
    I think just because someone is new on the board you shouldn't assume they haven't been dealing with the problem for a while, this maybe the case of course but don't assume it.
    I have been trying to sort out my situation for over 3 years taking what was £90K+ down to £65K. It's just that sometimes you run into new problems and I don't want it to go back up again.
  • kathfisch
    Options
    kafka wrote:
    I think just because someone is new on the board you shouldn't assume they haven't been dealing with the problem for a while, this maybe the case of course but don't assume it.

That is a very fair point and does sometimes need to be remembered! There are some posters who are at a complete loss and don't know where to start but that's not true of everyone. When there are so many people asking for help its easy to trot out the same advice... which isn't really helpful then! Thank you for reminding us :)

Well done for your success in the past few years - that's great! :T I dare say there's much advice you could offer to people just starting out.
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • kafka_2
    Options
    Most of my success has just been hard work (i'm self employed - most of my debts started during the foot and mouth crisis - although I don't work in the farming industry), good budgeting (i generally get clothes for christmas and birthdays - the only luxury my wife and I have is going for tea and cake twice a month to the local tea shop) and communication with my creditors.

However some creditors seem to respond to different tacts and rather than spend another few months trying to work out what they require from you I was hoping someone would know. The halifax (credit card) in my case doesn't seem to respond to my letters rejecting my offer but not telling me what they would accept or what info they require.
  • kathfisch
    Options
    kafka wrote:
    However some creditors seem to respond to different tacts and rather than spend another few months trying to work out what they require from you I was hoping someone would know. The halifax (credit card) in my case doesn't seem to respond to my letters rejecting my offer but not telling me what they would accept or what info they require.

Why not bump up your previous thread and see if you get any more responses? I haven't got the wisdom of any experience in this I'm afraid so I can't comment! :)
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    Bump!Bump!
  • Numpty_2
    Options
    Kevicho wrote:
    Its actually quite disheartening to read, when you realise (although i did realise this years ago) that no one wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore as opposed to a lot of the regulars on here who are working through this.

I remember when I first joined and I cut back on everything possible and worked through hellish times, to come out the other side now, with my debt more than under control, and with my finances starting to become more like how i want them, cept for 6 zeros at the end.

To be honest it makes me realise how far ive come in these last few months, and I feel sad that these people are missing out on this great lesson and experience.
    I agree too - I'm one of these new people who probably doesnt have a crippling level of debt but definitely wants to get on top of it before it does. When I posted my SOA last week I was advised to see if I could phone the CC companies to lower my interest rates - firstly I was shocked I could, and scondly, you are right, why should they? I knew precisely what I was doing when I put x on this credit card or y on that. And after 3 years of stupidity increasing my debt from £4000 to £14000, I have to hold my hands up and sort it out.
  • pania
    pania Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys sorry to interject,

what an interesting discussion:T

I am relatively new to the boards and posted on here after watching for a while to see what the score is. I was stunned and amazed by the level of support and advice that i was seeing and decided, whether the advice be blunt, honest,forthright or truthful to post and see what people could do.
    I feel that anyone who posts asking for help should first be aware they MUST be open to all advice, whether the truth hurts or not. admitedly some may be more diplomatic than others but we're all human!!:rolleyes:

I am a prime candidate for bankruptcy with my level of debt, currently standing at 35,000:eek: not as a result of mad manic spending sprees and living the champagne lifestyle but the result of a nasty split with a bf a few years back, loosing my career due to ill health and then using credit cards to meet day to day costs of living. However i choose not to follow this path and pay my debts back slowly and surely.
    I completely agree re the adverts for IVA companies, they are misleading and make out life will be a breath of fresh air after a very short time. what they neglect to point out is the impact it will have on any financial decisions for YEARS to come:mad:

Freezing interest and charges most definately has it's place, where someone is genuinely sinking below the levels of sustainability and the level of debt is having a dramatic impact on the lifestyle and possibly health of that person.
    It shouldn't be seen as a quickfix to overspending.
    I recently met a couple who's level of debt had run to over 50k as a result of lavish holidays, a fantastic lifestyle and expensive nights out. they applied for an IVA without a thought with a "why should we pay the whole lot back" attitude, because you B!**!y borrowed it is why!!! THIS is why lenders refuse to freeze interest etc on genuine needy cases as people take advantage of their assistance and undermine the genuine causes. :mad:

i think we should support the people who are genuinely asking for help and are receptive to every bit of advice that comes their way, and offer friendly guidance to people who do not need the charges frozen.

Sorry for butting in and happy money saving to one and all!!!
    P
    xx
    debt @05/11/11 £12210.63!! slowly chipping away!!
    :heart2:impossible is nothing.:heart2:
  • lazy&indebt
    Options
    pania wrote:
    I recently met a couple who's level of debt had run to over 50k as a result of lavish holidays, a fantastic lifestyle and expensive nights out. they applied for an IVA without a thought with a "why should we pay the whole lot back" attitude, because you B!**!y borrowed it is why!!! THIS is why lenders refuse to freeze interest etc on genuine needy cases as people take advantage of their assistance and undermine the genuine causes. :mad:

Completely agree with this! In genuine cases it's ok to freeze the interest - sometimes people do get into debt through no fault of their own. Me, on the other hand, got into debt just by being silly with money - I accept full responsibility for it and as a result - I have NEVER missed a payment on anything and I am now living on a shoe string and working two jobs to pay it back (plus all the interest!) and why? Because my Father told me when I was little that when you borrow money you have to pay it back. Simple.
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport