A new wave of 'help' requests

Options
I have noticed recently that a few poeple on this board are posting complaining that lenders will not freeze interest, fees etc etc simply by being asked 1st time.

To begin for a lender, there must be reasons for them to justify this. They dont lend cash for free.

I no longer work for a bank, and work tirelessley for other peoples help, as others will verify on here.. but at the moment it does seem that people simply want lenders to stop fees, interest etc etc simply because they want to reduce debt !

If you need the reduction of fees etc then PLEASE call for help if you need it, if you dont need it then please dont ask for freezation of fees etc... play the cards, BT, Move Accs etc etc ect.

[/B][/I]PAYPLAN, NATIONAL DEBTLINE, CCCS[/B][/I]

I know this may sound harsh, but, I have noticed this.....

Mike

Comments

• Wonder_Girl
    Options
    I agree, a lot of people seem to want "help" who don't really need it and just want a free ride for a bit :(

It then ruins it for those who really do need help
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • Dolly_Smith
    Options
    when I first started reading this board and noticing these posts I thought - 'god, is it really that easy to just freeze your account so that you can pay it back?'

and of course, it isn't! I think people just have too high expectations of lenders and don't consider what lenders are there for - TO MAKE MONEY! They don't care about you or your circumstances, they just want their money back (plus interest)

it's just like Goodfellas when you think about it - your house burned down? **** you, pay me!
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    There are adverts on tv promising to reduce people's debts, freeze interest etc, easy peasy they make it sound. There are plenty of people on here who will say DMPs and IVAs are not easy. The way the adverts are phrased, though, makes it sound like it'll all happen without a hitch.

People are getting the idea that they somehow deserve to have all charges stopped, interest frozen etc. When, I agree, some of them really aren't in that much trouble yet. Some cutbacks in luxuries etc would often put them in a position to be able to pay it back.... gradually yes.... but eventually.

Still, if people post looking for help then that's what they need. If the help they need to is to be re-educated out of the views they've learned from the telly...... nothing new there then :rolleyes: ;)
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed. It seems to me as if people think that they can demand that a lender stops interest as if it's embodied in law or something.

It's not.

Some lenders will do this in extreme circumstances to help you get on your feet so that you can then continue to pay them in the future (with the interest restored). Usually this is a very last resort designed to ensure that they "will get something".

The only time you should ask to have interest frozen is when dealing with a DCAs as they will have "bought" your debt for a few pence in the pound.
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    Options
    Its actually quite disheartening to read, when you realise (although i did realise this years ago) that no one wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore as opposed to a lot of the regulars on here who are working through this.

I remember when I first joined and I cut back on everything possible and worked through hellish times, to come out the other side now, with my debt more than under control, and with my finances starting to become more like how i want them, cept for 6 zeros at the end.

To be honest it makes me realise how far ive come in these last few months, and I feel sad that these people are missing out on this great lesson and experience.
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Options
    Kevicho wrote:
    Its actually quite disheartening to read, when you realise (although i did realise this years ago) that no one wants to take responsibility for themselves anymore as opposed to a lot of the regulars on here who are working through this.

I remember when I first joined and I cut back on everything possible and worked through hellish times, to come out the other side now, with my debt more than under control, and with my finances starting to become more like how i want them, cept for 6 zeros at the end.

To be honest it makes me realise how far ive come in these last few months, and I feel sad that these people are missing out on this great lesson and experience.

Thanks Kev -Agree wholeheartidly !
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Options
    Kevicho wrote:

I just wish Id have learned your lesson 8 years ago mate. and - Pre pub !
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Kevicho wrote:

What you learn through this dfw process seems to be the most important bit - and not just about finances but yourself too. It is a pity that not everyone will take that on board and be in for the long slog... but we shouldn't write off everyone who comes here looking for help. Personal stories about getting debt free, the hard work way, and how rewarding that is, might put across an idea some have never thought of.

None of this is to insult people (like yourself Mike) who do have interest/charges frozen, or choose an IVA or bankruptcy.... when the situation demands it.

:)
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Options
    kathfisch wrote:
    What you learn through this dfw process seems to be the most important bit - and not just about finances but yourself too. It is a pity that not everyone will take that on board and be in for the long slog... but we shouldn't write off everyone who comes here looking for help. Personal stories about getting debt free, the hard work way, and how rewarding that is, might put across an idea some have never thought of.

None of this is to insult people (like yourself Mike) who do have interest/charges frozen, or choose an IVA or bankruptcy.... when the situation demands it.

:)

They didnt freeze my interest mate, I just stopped payin as there was no income !!

Oh I spoke to them, and tried to tell them how I was dealing with it.. No Interest ata ll... Bankruptcy... I welcome it now.
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Options
    People ned to be more educated at a younger age I think I for sure wouldnt be in this mess if I knew what I know now when I was 17...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure