tesco cc or/and halifax clarity?

Options
crazydad
crazydad Posts: 52 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 August 2010 at 11:45AM in Credit cards
hi

sorry if the answer is a bit obvious but i'm afraid it's not to me so i need your advice :embarasse. i am planning a trip abroad so i applied for the clarity card then had the idea to get the tesco cc for day to day use here to build up my clubcard points. i know that tesco charges to use the card abroad (2.75%) but would i not be better off paying this charge and getting the clubcard points rather than using the halifax card where there is no charges?

again, sorry if it's a bit of a thick question!!

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I am sure someone from the MSE forum can give you exact details, but I would doubt that the value of the clubcard points would outweigh the charges to use the Tesco card. My personal preferance would be to use a card abroad that doesn't charge additional fees, then perhaps think about a reward type card like Tesco for home use (depending on whether you could get an addtional card with your credit rating). Ensuring both are ALWAYS paid off in full of course.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Are you going to get £2.75 worth of vouchers for every £100 spent, well I don't think so, the answer to your question is quite simple....
  • crazydad
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    the answer to your question is quite simple....

that'll be a no then?
  • stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    crazydad wrote: »
    that'll be a no then?

I've already answered!!!
  • crazydad
    Options
    where?!?! all i got was a rhetorical question, a thought and then an answer that faded away into a few punctuation marks........

thanks anyway, i think i got the answer :beer:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    Are you going to get £2.75 worth of vouchers for every £100 spent, well I don't think so, the answer to your question is quite simple....
    I'm not so sure.

If the points are exchanged for 4x vouchers under their 'deals' promotion then that's a 4% return straight away.

Add in the fact that the Tesco card comes with 13 months 0% which means there's some savings interest to be earned (2%+ net of savings interest tax?) by slow-stoozing the holiday and any other spend, and it's not as clear cut as you state.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not so sure.

If the points are exchanged for 4x vouchers under their 'deals' promotion then that's a 4% return straight away.

Add in the fact that the Tesco card comes with 13 months 0% which means there's some savings interest to be earned (2%+ net of savings interest tax?) by slow-stoozing the holiday and any other spend, and it's not as clear cut as you state.
    Although I read on these very pages that Tesco use an inferior exchange rate to the official Mastercard one.

Those Clubcard deals, while good, are rarely worth the 4 x value they claim to give. You can usually get bogof offers elsewhere if you don't use the Clubcard deals (e.g. Alton Towers) so the true value is typically 2 x and not 4 x .

Balancing it all out, it's a tough call for the OP.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Those Clubcard deals, while good, are rarely worth the 4 x value they claim to give.
    Agreed. I used some with Cosmos earlier this year and 'saved' £650. However, I could have booked the holiday elsewhere for £300 less than the Cosmos 'list price' before discount was applied so, as you say, a little over 2% was the true saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure