No fensa certificate and can't exchange without it

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
70 replies 150.3K views
CatbellsCatbells Forumite
768 posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
I was supposed to exchange yesterday but have just found out that I have no FENSA certification for some replacement windows I had installed 5 years ago. There is a 10 year guarantee on the windows but the buyers lawyer wants the certificate. What can I do as they have already beaten me down on price following their surveys (3 of them). Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• Indemnity insurance at a cost of around £30. Cheapest and quickest way.

waste of money to have someone come out to FENSA certify/ building control sign off.

Also do a search of your house on the FENSA website as maybe you never were sent the cert. A new one will cost £12.

This really shouldnt be holding up an exchange.
  • tbs624tbs624 Forumite
    10.8K posts
    The indemnity insurance will only offer cover against the council pursuing for non certification, so your buyers may prefer to have a buildings control officer come out to sign it off - 70/80 quid or thereabouts when we last had one done.
  • CatbellsCatbells Forumite
    768 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the building inspector can do it too at a cost.
    Have contacted the window firm who installed and am trying to initially get them to get one as they are FENSA registered and don't know why they didn't give me one in the first place.

Bananamana -I was surprised at your comment that this shouldn't have to hold up exchange because the buyers wouldn't want to buy my house if there was something the matter with the windows surely? I can understand why they want certification.

Thanks all.
  • Didnt know you could check fensa for the certificates, that might come in usefull one day.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • CatbellsCatbells Forumite
    768 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt know you could check fensa for the certificates, that might come in usefull one day.

Yes you can call them up and give them your post code for them to search for your FENSA number or reference.
  • Horizon81Horizon81 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Interesting read. Do all solicitors during conveyancing check when windows were last replaced and request Fensa certificate accordingly? How do they know when they were replaced? Does the vendor have to declare it?
  • Catbells wrote: »
    Yes the building inspector can do it too at a cost.
    Have contacted the window firm who installed and am trying to initially get them to get one as they are FENSA registered and don't know why they didn't give me one in the first place.

Bananamana -I was surprised at your comment that this shouldn't have to hold up exchange because the buyers wouldn't want to buy my house if there was something the matter with the windows surely? I can understand why they want certification.

Thanks all.

They are 5 years old - if there was an issue it probably would have come to light by now. Tbh if there was an issue it would have been flagged on survey. Its a frequent issue in conveyancing as a lot of installers fail to issue the certificate which causes a problem down the line.

I have not for a long time (in fact I can't recall an instance if im honest) seen anyone insist on the council coming out to inspect to delay an exchange.
    Catbells wrote: »
    Yes you can call them up and give them your post code for them to search for your FENSA number or reference.

Or check the website and type your post code in ^^
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    Interesting read. Do all solicitors during conveyancing check when windows were last replaced and request Fensa certificate accordingly? How do they know when they were replaced? Does the vendor have to declare it?

Its in the property information "have you replaced any windows since 2002". If you lie and the buyer finds out it's a misrepresentation and they can sue .
  • Cashsaver_3Cashsaver_3 Forumite
    37 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does this mean you dont need a FENSA cert if the windows and doors were installed before 2002?
  • cashsaver wrote: »
    Does this mean you dont need a FENSA cert if the windows and doors were installed before 2002?

correct

The Government's Approved Document L (Fuel Conservation) was issued on 31 October 2001. It extended Building Regulations to cover replacement window and door installation from April 2002.
  • AnkatdenAnkatden Forumite
    162 posts
    http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/certificate.asp

As another poster has said.

Should use as part of due diligence in buying a house anyway.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support