MSE News: Santander 'worst bank for customer service'

Options

Comments

• Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »
    Talk to the Co-op and see if you can use a Post Office.

In fact make it a complaint. ;)

I'm already aware that I can use a Post Office. Santander are more convenient though as I live near a branch and can deposit cash and cheques in the ATM 24/7.
    The problem with using a Post Office for me is that although I can nominate up to four Post Offices, apparently you can't keep switching which one you use. Having to bank at the local Post Office hours would be inconvenient as I work out of town mostly and it would create downtime. I tried nominating other Post Offices dotted around my usual business areas but the inflexibility means that I would not be allowed to use them.
    It seems a bit daft to me to be able to nominate four Post Offices when you can only use one of them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mmm not that bad
    when i call CS always a UK call centre (14 min wait average)
    the branch never has a queue lol :)
    I find their CS very helpful
    Just opinion
  • simplybest
    Options
    I see reported in the Sun today that Santander are into paying out double what you ask for from their hole-in-the-wall machines, now I understand why I cannot get my interest, so now we also know their staff do not function correctly nor do their machines, for those people who doubled their money "well done". I must write to Santander to see when this is going to happen again so that I can get my share of 2 for 1, this would at least give me a little of the interest owed to me.
    I realise through the pages of this forum that not all Banks are perfect, but come on you could not make this up what the idiots at Santander get up to, I believe that this Spanish Bank is 150 years old, and is now creaking a bit around the edges what better than to come to little old England and cause us some problems.
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    esbsch.gif
  • simplybest
    Options
    Brilliant.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    r9rog wrote: »
    And Blueberrypie is right. I haven't grasped the concept of internet banking. I understand online banking. Is this any relation?

I am amused by how personally you've taken my response, but would like to point out that it was never suggested that you did not understand the concept of "internet banking". What I suggested was that you had missed the concept of "an internet bank" - i.e. a bank with which the vast bulk of your transactions are handled via the internet. If you want to be able to go into a local store and talk to people face-to-face and pay cash, you don't shop at Amazon - you choose a company whose service is suited to your requirements. Given your clear need for regular cash transactions, it does seem odd that you chose to bank with First Direct.

It works pretty well - no, very well - for me, and for the vast majority of people who voted in the MSE poll.
  • r9rog
    r9rog Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for confirming my suspicion, that blueberrypie believes I have not grasped the concept of online banking.

Regrettably, as a human I make mistakes and have no faith in my own ability regarding paying in cash via an envelope in a letter box. I prefer to be corrected by a human I can see when I am wrong.

And I haven't figured out a way of getting more than £300 from any bank in one day - sometimes I really do want more than £2000. I bet I am not the only one.

As for the online transactions, I have found all the banks wanting, and First Direct is no better than any other.

Most of the complaints about Santander involve queueing, whether on a call centre or in the branch. If First Direct is supposed to be used without people standing in a queue somewhere then surely it shouldn't be placed on the voting register regarding service by banks, whose lifeblood is the provision and storage of cash.

I suspect that the people voting for First Direct use other banks for handing over cash and transfer the money online. Because they find HSBC (the parent) too frustrating.

I note olly300 and blueberrypie have not attempted to do so, but can anyone explain why HSBC customers should be required to occupy the space at the window during a cashier's housekeeping process and why the other banks require customers paying in to enter their PIN?
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    But when you pay in at the post office you use a card and the cashier counts your money and tells you thank you, remove your card and take this receipt, you can go.

They don't thank me at the local Post Office, mind you I only withdraw a few 20p coins to use in the launderette :p

I note olly300 and blueberrypie have not attempted to do so, but can anyone explain why HSBC customers should be required to occupy the space at the window during a cashier's housekeeping process and why the other banks require customers paying in to enter their PIN?

because you need to wait for the receipt if you want proof of your deposit

There are quicker ways to pay in at HSBC

The only time I pay in via a cashier is when a marked note is not accepted at the express deposit machine ;)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • simplybest
    Options
    You can go on all you like Sandtander will win the worst bank award of all time, why? they just have not got the first idea of what any banking is all about, you see you must understand that spanish banking is all about doing a couple of hours of banking in the morning, then having a little sleep in the afternoon, come on guys this is not rocket science. They have done this for 150 years why change now because of a bunch of english people who like to go out in the midday sun, the way they look at it is we are the ones who have lost the plot, relax give your had earnt money away you know it makes sense. So to sum up all the PC fanantics who will grunge on what a fantastic job they are doing or even their Banks do yourselves a favour and bog off or even attempt to get a life.
    Stop whining Santander and supporters and get some training, and for other Bank users watch this space you have seen nothing yet, Santander have left the worst to last trust me.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,641 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regrettably, as a human I make mistakes and have no faith in my own ability regarding paying in cash via an envelope in a letter box. I prefer to be corrected by a human I can see when I am wrong.

Have you tried using the pay in machines at HSBC branches?

Most HSBC branches now seem to have automated pay in machines - where you put your notes in, the machine counts them, asks if you agree with their figure. Once you press yes, it immediately credits your account and prints a receipt for you. If you disagree, it returns your funds.

No need to queue up at a counter and its generally much faster.
    And I haven't figured out a way of getting more than £300 from any bank in one day.

I suspect that the people voting for First Direct use other banks for handing over cash and transfer the money online. Because they find HSBC (the parent) too frustrating.
    I suspect its because most customers use the machines - HSBC branches also have cheque paying in machines where the receipt includes a scan of the cheque for your records and coin paying in machines for loose change (no need to bag them)

As for taking more than £300 from a bank in one day - when I wanted to, I simply called HSBC and just asked them.. they sent me a new debit card which had a higher daily ATM withdrawal limit - I imagine First Direct could do the same..

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family