MSE News: Santander 'worst bank for customer service'

Options

Comments

• reflector1
    Options
    Santander just get better and better at getting it wrong. How's this - I sent them an online complaint message a month ago and got a lovely reply saying they would be in touch shortly. You guessed it - still waiting. Sent them a reminder a couple of days ago and got the same nice assurance that they would be in touch. Not exactly holding my breath.
  • pitstone75
    Options
    Hi all;

I got 'stiffed' with a £25 charge because A&L failed to execute an account transfer (Savings to Current) in 1 day resulted in a Direct Debit refused. The transfer took 2 days however, they've yet to detail why (over a month later). Suffice to say the DD recipient was very good. I have taken the approach that I will not communicate via phone or email as it is a complete waste of time. I write a letter on each and every occasion and someday Santander/A&L will realise it's a lot cheaper to refund the charge than spend money answering my letters .. the saga continues :T
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    I have just been watching Watchdog on TV. Apparently they will be featuring Santander next Thursday.
  • londoner1998
    Options
    huw01 wrote: »

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever will I deal again with these cowboys. I’d love to see Martin take them to task on a Tonight special or Watchdog on the telly.:j
    ... you wish is about is to be realised- Watchdog will be running a feature on Santander on Monday 20th September...
    I can't wait!!

:T
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    ... you wish is about is to be realised- Watchdog will be running a feature on Santander on Monday 20th September...
    I can't wait!!

:T

On Monday?
    They said next Thursday when I was watching it yesterday.
    I will look out for it earlier then. Cheers for the info.
  • Elianne
    Options
    I have an account with Cahoot (Santander) and recently was the victim of online Fraud; my card was used for online purchases although I still had my card in my possession. Luckily I spotted the withdawals very quickly and my card was blocked by Santander. I received another card from Santander. This week I was contacted by Santander to ask me about my card usage. It appears that somehow my previous blocked card has been mysteriously reactivated and somebody is happily spending my money again. My actual card has been blocked so I can't spend my money, but somebody else can on my reactivated blocked card!!!! Despite knowing that this is their error, Santander have put through the payments and currently have not responded to requests for contact. Speechless :T
  • Elianne wrote: »
    I have an account with Cahoot (Santander) and recently was the victim of online Fraud; my card was used for online purchases although I still had my card in my possession. Luckily I spotted the withdawals very quickly and my card was blocked by Santander. I received another card from Santander. This week I was contacted by Santander to ask me about my card usage. It appears that somehow my previous blocked card has been mysteriously reactivated and somebody is happily spending my money again. My actual card has been blocked so I can't spend my money, but somebody else can on my reactivated blocked card!!!! Despite knowing that this is their error, Santander have put through the payments and currently have not responded to requests for contact. Speechless :T

That's a special kind of stupid, I wouldn't be speechless I'd be shouting down the phone asking if it was one of their employees.
    Santander are awful - mission in life is to warn people since 17-Sep-10, 18-Sep-10 realised one of thousands.
  • Mrs_Tommy_T
    Options
    I have recently, in the error of my ways, opened a joint current account with Santander. When it has come to switching direct debits, my partner has had no problem, due to being with Yorkshire Bank, I on the other hand have had nothing but problems due to my old current account being with one of their own banks - A&L. The free switch facility that they advertise does not exist for A&L customers, it would appear that Santander do not have a process in place to undertake their own internal switch. Customer service has been poor. Senior Managers are reluctant to speak to you to assist with resolving the problem, they state that their process does not allow this process - 'the computer, it says no' As of writing I am now in the process of trying to change my direct debits with the individual companies and been informed by the individual companies that my bank should be doing this. What should be a simple internal process is now becoming impossible. In discussions with my partner to switch to a proper bank.
  • fatboy88
    fatboy88 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would never use this bank and i'm not even a customer. They made a mistake and tried to chase me for a DD imdemnity claim. But took them nearly 1 month to get to someone who understood what the problem was.
    They still dispute the fact i made now over 60-70 calls and offered me a small amount to cover my call costs but my time isnt payable which i can accept.
    So off to the ombudsman i go, rather they get fined and they can give the money to charity. I'm not too fussed about the money rather they insinuate that i'm making all this up but wont put it in a letter and that a lot of their staff wont put a record of the calls on the system if it is a little difficult

Joke really
  • katiewil
    Options
    santander customer services were horrific.our debit cards were constantly getting blocked . buying linen is an unusual transaction we were told. topping up two phones is also a good reason to stop my card. getting through to query anything was a nightmare. so we changed to halifax.:j what an amazing difference. the change went smoothly. service in the bank is outstanding. highly recommended.
    i was happy with abbey until santander took over , then standards plummeted dramatically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure