MSE News:Sterling and FTSE down on gloomy Bank of England report

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Bank of England governor Mervyn King warned of "a choppy recovery" for the UK economy today as he braced households for slower growth and stickier than expected inflation ..."

Replies

• ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol - what's this doing in the "Flights, Currency & Car Hire" board? Surely it should be in the "Debate House Prices and the Economy" (as it involves the economy) or "Savings and Investments" (as it affects investment outlook).

Presumably it's because it indirectly hit sterling? Bit of a weak link though.
  • worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaper wrote: »
    lol - what's this doing in the "Flights, Currency & Car Hire" board?

Get out now, before it's too late? ;)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • jnm21jnm21 Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Reaper wrote: »
    lol - what's this doing in the "Flights, Currency & Car Hire" board? Surely it should be in the "Debate House Prices and the Economy" (as it involves the economy) or "Savings and Investments" (as it affects investment outlook).

Presumably it's because it indirectly hit sterling? Bit of a weak link though.
    Hardly a crime - it is relevant & I'm glad it is in here - I'm looking for currency related articles & unfortunately this is very relevant - I don't look at those other boards.
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • The_ThrillaThe_Thrilla Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    "A choppy recovery." There's no recovery.

...only inflation.
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was down against the euro when first posted though.

Wasn't there something about Germany having to take their bank bailouts onto the books this afternoon (dunno if we'll eventually get the same with Lloyds, RBS, and the dead bits of NR and B&B).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals