Is this quote too cheap?! (boiler and central heating)

Options
I just got a quote of £3050 inc VAT for the following:

Remove back boiler and brick up fireplace
Install Vailant combi boiler in kitchen with vertical roof vent
Remove 4 upstairs radiators and replace all 1st floor pipework
Remove 2 radiators downstairs currently piped through concrete floor and install 3 new radiators downstairs to be served by new pipework from 1st floor hidden inside walls.
Relocate gas for hob to other side of kitchen via ceiling.

He said 3-4 day job - does that seem reasonable?

I had one other quote for £3760 but that was for a baxi and involved reusing exisitng pipework in the concrete ground floor. Still waiting for more quotes but seems everyone is on holiday!

Comments

• dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    I just had simelar done for 3900 exc VAT. We did have to have a new gas pipe run from the main and also all new pipe work and a couple of rads. Plus our flu was quite long as it went up through the loft.

The plumber did a fantastic job everything is really neat. He was the only one who wrote out a proper detailed quote and took me through everything he was going to do so although he was slightly more expensive than other quotes he gave me confidence and came recommended.

I would say the most important thing is get somone you feel comfortable with.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds pretty cheap to me. As Dave82 said, if they are recommended then I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd also go with a personal recommendation if possible even if it wasn't the cheapest, within reason.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    jamie304 wrote: »
    I just got a quote of £3050 inc VAT for the following:

Remove back boiler and brick up fireplace
    Install Vailant combi boiler in kitchen with vertical roof vent
    Remove 4 upstairs radiators and replace all 1st floor pipework
    Remove 2 radiators downstairs currently piped through concrete floor and install 3 new radiators downstairs to be served by new pipework from 1st floor hidden inside walls.
    Relocate gas for hob to other side of kitchen via ceiling.

He said 3-4 day job - does that seem reasonable?

I had one other quote for £3760 but that was for a baxi and involved reusing exisitng pipework in the concrete ground floor. Still waiting for more quotes but seems everyone is on holiday!

Good afternoon: compare the two quotes like for like e.g do they both include a powerflush/chemical flush, warranty length, copper or plastic pipe, notification to Building Control, removal of waste,making good etc. More here.

Btw...I'd fit a Vaillant over a Baxi.;)

Let us know how you get on.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • jamie304
    jamie304 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon: compare the two quotes like for like e.g do they both include a powerflush/chemical flush, warranty length, copper or plastic pipe, notification to Building Control, removal of waste,making good etc. More here.

Btw...I'd fit a Vaillant over a Baxi.;)

Let us know how you get on.

HTH

Canucklehead

Thanks, third quote was £2800 so going with them as they included all the stuff you mentioned.

I was expecting to pay £4K for this.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    hmmm. You were expecting approx £4k, 1 quote £3700 ish, one just over £3 and now you go for the cheapest.

Not always the best solution. £2800 is way too cheap to do this AND offer a reliable warranty afterwards.

But then if someone is prepared to work for next to nothing I suppose it can be done.

But then the nature of most posting on this site is to go for the cheapest I suppose, as it is all in the forum name.

Be careful and good luck. Tell the installer you will be requesting a gas safe inspection afterwards and see what his reaction is.
  • jamie304
    jamie304 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    gas4you wrote: »
    hmmm. You were expecting approx £4k, 1 quote £3700 ish, one just over £3 and now you go for the cheapest.

Not always the best solution. £2800 is way too cheap to do this AND offer a reliable warranty afterwards.

But then if someone is prepared to work for next to nothing I suppose it can be done.

But then the nature of most posting on this site is to go for the cheapest I suppose, as it is all in the forum name.

Be careful and good luck. Tell the installer you will be requesting a gas safe inspection afterwards and see what his reaction is.

The £3700 quote was from a company that mainly does commercial work. I was least impressed with them as the guy said they would reuse the pipes in the concrete floor and also route a gas pipe under there.

This cheapest quote does happen to be from the company that seems most reliable. They have good references, and have been honest and professional in everything they have said.
  • Bobble72
    Bobble72 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

We have a Baxi back boiler which is about 15 years old. We would like to replace the boiler but live in a small 2 bedroomed bungalow and don't appear to have room on an outside wall to site a new boiler. Has anyone come across this problem before and would we need to replace the radiators which are older than the boiler? Any suggestions gratefully received and probable costs helpful.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Bobble72 wrote: »
    Hi

We have a Baxi back boiler which is about 15 years old. We would like to replace the boiler but live in a small 2 bedroomed bungalow and don't appear to have room on an outside wall to site a new boiler. Has anyone come across this problem before and would we need to replace the radiators which are older than the boiler? Any suggestions gratefully received and probable costs helpful.

Good evening: the loft could be an option. Get in RGIs recommended to you by a source you trust to conduct a site survey and discuss your requirements. More advice here.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Radsteral
    Radsteral Posts: 836 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just because they are the cheapest doesnt meant they are usseless.
    If they know what they are doing and well organised, then sure they ll make the money out of it.

Some times the trader got no much going ahead and instead of beating his head to get the top dollar, he gets the job and gets going with it... i do that time after time on my trade.
    It ensures i barely get a day of work when i dont want to stay thinking of england.
    being fastter than the average, i can still make a decent return out of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport