keeping tropical and cold water fish.

Options

Comments

• Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, sorry for not replying... I did read last night, and sandstone has been removed from the tropical tank.
    The goldfish have been split, well, will be tomorrow- my boss had some tanks and passed one over to us. We should have it ready by the weekend, and hopefully happy fish. Counted them last night and there's 8, some gold ones and black ones with bulging eyes- sorry, I have no idea what name they are.
    From all your replies, I don't think the current tropical fish will argue with eachother.
    Froglet- no deliberate attempt to be cruel, hate the fact that the fish may have suffered- I'm a dog/cat person, never cared or had fish until I met my partner. He relies on the advice of the local fish suppliers- there's not that many in NI.
    I posted on here as I don't know the first thing really about fish- I've raised and trained gundogs all my life, but have no idea what care a goldfish needs!
    Thanks all so much for your replies- I will definitely be keeping an eye out for fish posts and researching more about them.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lirin,that's ok we have all had to learn and we have all made mistakes along the way.The internet wasn't around when i started and you cannot always go on what the fish shops say,they are out to make money out of fish getting sick and you needing more medicine for them,or replacing them when they die.Some are good,but certianly not all.

This is the site i use for advice,even after 20+ years of keeping fish.They are brilliant http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/

Great that you have another tank to separate them.The fish with bulging eyes are fancies and will need to be in a tank for life.Look up photos of common goldfish,if you have them as well they will grow a lot quicker and they can be put in a pond next spring if you have someone with one.To me they are much better off and happier in a pond.I have 2 large ones,and over 100 fish!

Do you have a filter for the new tank? if so,and of course you will definitely need one,you can put some of the mature filter material from the current tank into the new one,that will help no end.Otherwise get some filter food and feed sparingly for the first few wekks or new tank syndrome will occur and you will have problems.Great advice on the fishkeeping site about all that.

Just shout if you have any queries I am on here every day and will be glad to help.
  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    No filter as yet- though my boss was keen on fish, so may be likely we'll get one via him.... hopefully. If not, we'll get one.

Many thanks Froglet, you're a star!
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Lirin wrote: »
    Wow, sorry for not replying... I did read last night, and sandstone has been removed from the tropical tank.
    The goldfish have been split, well, will be tomorrow- my boss had some tanks and passed one over to us. We should have it ready by the weekend, and hopefully happy fish. Counted them last night and there's 8, some gold ones and black ones with bulging eyes- sorry, I have no idea what name they are.
    From all your replies, I don't think the current tropical fish will argue with eachother.
    Froglet- no deliberate attempt to be cruel, hate the fact that the fish may have suffered- I'm a dog/cat person, never cared or had fish until I met my partner. He relies on the advice of the local fish suppliers- there's not that many in NI.
    I posted on here as I don't know the first thing really about fish- I've raised and trained gundogs all my life, but have no idea what care a goldfish needs!
    Thanks all so much for your replies- I will definitely be keeping an eye out for fish posts and researching more about them.

your black fancy is more commonly know as a black moore or black molly,images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShmSjDUXK4_ScyWgYEl7Yge6DZt2BuGdE1lDc1PIXzoS3YZ2g&t=1&usg=__RuDUiryd2S1mPm-hWvpAIFOUhxA= they cant tollerate normal non fancy goldfish due to the goldfish fin nipping their flowing tails, they get distressed if this is happening and will be non active sitting in a courner of the tank. and be wherever the goldfish isnt!
    they arent as hardy as normal goldfish and sensitive to tank water conditions you can normally tell when their ill as the black parts turn a dull orange colour then all is lost and the fish will die and white spot can be spotted early and tank treated early as their black in colour wich is a plus on them fish, can last anywhere between 2-5 years, feed pellet sticks as when they eat flake from the surface they take in air aswell and can couse the fish to get trapped air in its belly causing boyancy problems for them and as a result often die.

plus side is that if one of these fancy's take a liking to you they will let you tickle their belly when i was younger i had one from young after a while of holding pellet sticks down in the water and her taking them from me i would hold my finger in the water and when she cam to look for more and i had none id touch her slightly firstly she shot away but after so many months of doing it she enjoyed a 5 second tummy tickle now and then after grub.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    the best thing to do when researching is look up your fish on suggested sites, copy and paste the fact sheet into note pad on your computer give it the header for that fish the more facts you research the more you copy and past and the when you have a few fact sheets on different fish put all note pad files into a single file and call it fishies facts or what ever you like, so when a disaster strikes or your looking to get new fish you can go to that file and see how to treat, look up compatability with other fish, saves ten tones of trawling through the net in an emergency, then when your really stuck on a situation post in the forums.

i bought a 5.5 gallon tank today cost me £15.00 new, going to setup a betta tank, and get a HMB (half moon butterfly)BETTA or FC (full crown) betta havent decided found a home breeder near my place, and have been envited to view.
  • covlass
    covlass Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    We wish to purchase an Aquarium but would like advice on the baest place to buy one from, we have seen a round globe on a stand which we like from pets at home but am unsure if these would be the best place to go.

Also any hints and tips would be fantastic as we have only ever had gold fish in the past.
    Many thanks

" I would not change you for the world, but I would change the world for you"
    Proud to be parent of a child with Autism:D

When I see your face there's not a thing that I would change 'cause your amazing just the way you are
  • EmptyPockets
    EmptyPockets Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Options
    We've always bought our tanks from local pet suppliers, the ones in Pets at Home seem very expensive to me... One thing I would say is, avoid the tall, cylindrical-shaped ones. Fish don't swim up and down, they swim side to side, if you know what I mean... so they need plenty of horizontal space, rather than a tall tank.

When you get it set up, how about posting some pictures? I think aquariums look so beautiful when set up properly, I find them very soothing and calming to look at!
    "Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"
    :cry: R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever :cry:
  • cattkitt
    cattkitt Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    There are a lot of complaints about the round Biorb on the net
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=biorb+poor
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you want out of tank?

Not a fan of bio orbs myself cant grow real plants in them and when the filter needs cleaning the whole lot need stripping down.

Second hand tank can be had for bargains prices lots of people get tanks then realise they cant keep fish alive and soon give up.

Make sure you read up on fish-less cycling and have a basic knowledge of the ammonia nitrite nitrate cycle in a fish tank.

Go on the Practical keeping website for more info.
  • liana_y2kuk
    Options
    Hi,
    I think the tank that you are talking about is a biorb. I would look at ebay for one of those as the are very pricey in the shops. I have 2 of them both from ebay and I saved a lot of cash. They are acrylic so they can be posted for about £10-£15. Its worth looking at all of the fish tank listings as a lot of people dont list them as a biorb in the title, these are the ones that go for the least money. I would say go for the biggest one you can (60 liters) as the 30 liter one cant hold many fish. If this is the tank you want let me know if you do get it as I can tell you a site that you can get the filter inserts a lot cheaper than usual.
    A lot of people dont like the biorb but if you are realistic about stocking levels (dont even think of putting a goldfish in, they are too big) and keep up with 20% weekly water changes they can be very rewarding and look brilliant.
    Kat
    Smart price rocks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family