PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you expect?

Options
Having a look around for ideal places to renovate, we've come across this.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16519368.html
Agents Note
THIS PROPERTY IS IN PARTICULARLY BAD CONDITION AND SHOULD BE VIEWED WITH EXTREME CARE, WEARING SUITABLE CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR. NO CHILDREN WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS TO THE PROPERTY.

What condition would you expect to find when you walk in?

Comments

• Chiaroscuro
    Options
    Dire from that description.

What on earth can it be like? It must be filthy, wonder who was there before and if it's been neglected or trashed in some way. The outside looks fine!
  • Norma_Desmond
    Norma_Desmond Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2010 at 3:56PM
    Options
    It sounds derelict; as others have said the interior could have fallen in - perhaps even fire damaged??
    EDIT -
    Oh! I've just noticed 'no onward chain'......maybe someone passed away.....:(
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like one of those off that programme Life of Grime
  • Chiaroscuro
    Options
    Dire from that description.

What on earth can it be like? It must be filthy, wonder who was there before and if it's been neglected or trashed in some way. The outside looks fine!
    dopester wrote: »

OK, it doesn't. ;)
  • Chiaroscuro
    Options
    It sounds derelict; as others have said the interior could have fallen in - perhaps even fire damaged??
    EDIT -
    Oh! I've just noticed 'no onward chain'......maybe someone passed away.....:(
    I wondered that.

Let us know if you decide to go for Alias_Omega, would be interesting to hear all about it.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was suggested to my Nan, she is the person who purchases property like this to sell on a few months later.

I would be very much interested if i was back in the Uk, unfortunately im not. Looks a good priced house for the area, as it would be about £170,000 to buy in this area.

Just trying to pull up a map of the rear garden
  • Littleoldme
    Littleoldme Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    My original thought was that it was an old person who had lived there for years and not done anything to the house, but the two Sky dishes on the house (one on the end wall and one on the roof) does not really fit with that theory.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    i would suggest it has been owned by the same family for decades, and that the last surviving member has died fairly recently, not having had the funds to maintain it very well for several years.... the inside will be terribly dated, but not destroyed....

i would be wanting to fit new bathroom downstairs and see if i could put an ensuite upstairs as well, fit new kitchen, probably new windows throughout, possibly rewire, and until you get inside it is almost impossible to go any further than that...

you dont know if the old plaster is damp and therefore it needs complete replastering i would suggest it probably will, you dont know if the flooring is wooden and rotten with woodworm/dry
    rot...

you can often tell if a roof is sound by looking at the outside, these photos are too blurry to be able to tell that..... but it will certainly need felting and insulating

then there is redecorating, new modern doors and all internal woodwork if you have to replaster, re-carpeting, garden tidied up .... what state is that garage in.. does it need demolishing? replacing ?

i would budget for absolutely everything - and if it needs less.. more profit - but methinks 48 hours may not be enough time for you to calculate your costs.. bearing in mind that there aren't even any room dimensions.....

i would never dream of offering aon a property i had not been inside with my builder... if you have to ask on a forum if you thinkn this is a money maker i suspect you may be new to this - and it is nowhere near as easy as the Homes Under The Hammer team make it seem.....

if you can get finance for a development project like this... you used to add on 10-12% of purchase price for buying and selling fees... but these will be much more now that you have to keep a property for 6 months before selling on... lenders have got very difficult .....

"" two Sky dishes on the house (one on the end wall and one on the roof) does not really fit with that theory. ""

so "old" people dont want to watch better tele than the 5 terrestial stations ????

good luck with this.....
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Clutton,

The property was suggested to my Nan, not myself.

Alias
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport